• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Do you have a perfect garnish for your Manhattans? I think I'd go with orange peel these days if I made one. 

Mrs. C has a big jug of Amarena cherries, which did the job nicely.

But I like orange peel, too, if we have them.

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, YvetteMT said:

SV elk roast,  mushrooms,  onion gravy and SV carrots that were horrible. 

20240925_190233.thumb.jpg.2909fe1f9d440af04440dd6b8ce6b727.jpg

The elk looks wonderful! Shame about the carrots. What was wrong about them?

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 9/22/2024 at 11:18 PM, AAQuesada said:

How was it! (yours looks better than many of the pictures of it I've seen online)

Thank you!

Really good, extremely deep, rich flavour!   I shared some with a couple of friends and they were impressed too. 

I kind of looked at it as a mini course in chili making, as I've looked at every recipe I've made from the In Search of Perfection books, as a way to learn ideas that I can apply to my cooking in general.

• Like 1

Dinner tonight was special.

From 1997 to 98, I lived in in 怀化 (huái huà) prefecture of 湘西 (xiāng xī), or Western Hunan. Nearby was the small remote town of  沅陵 (yuán líng), mainly inhabited by people of the Miao and Tujia ethnic minorities. I had (still have) friends who live there.

I soon discovered that they make a special dry-cured ham, called 晒兰 (shài lán), only found in that town. I fell in love with it and bought it regularly. A few weeks ago, I realised that I hadn’t eaten it for a couple of years, so with the aid of friends there, tried to obtain some. They refused to send it to me, saying that the weather was too hot for shipping and they were worried it wouldn’t arrive in prime condition. I said to send it when they felt it would be OK. This week, after just over a month, ½ a kilo arrived and tonight I cooked a little of it.

I did so in the manner I was taught by a Yuanling housewife. With 四李豆 (sì lǐ dòu), green beans, garlic, chilli (of course; it’s from Hunan) rice wine and soy sauce. Simple and delicious. Served with rice.

shailanssilidou.thumb.jpg.fe4b93472900836016479fa6acac146c.jpg

I vacuum sealed the rest and it's in the freezer.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I forgot to post these pictures of the shai lan ham, showing how it is sold. Avocado for scale.

_20240920160327.thumb.jpg.79497053c96f64fe8b6e33742eb47b86.jpg

shailan.thumb.jpg.48a2e125497d57d67db3054cd3d85ec5.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

The elk looks wonderful! Shame about the carrots. What was wrong about them?

The elk was great.  

The carrots.... I followed Serious Eats, 183F for an hour.  Little butter and some honey (they called for sugar). The carrots came out crunchy (with the exception of TWO that were perfectly tender). And when left on the plate for 5 minutes got that weird, chalky, dry carrot look.  They'd have been better streaming in the micro, most certainly not my best veg and while not the worst, they were close.  (Worst goes to asparagus that i forgot on the grill and literally reduced to ash. My bff and I still laugh about it, 20 years later)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

image.thumb.jpeg.2d72dd23a26f654e8e9c7a5b86f8fe38.jpeg

Ive posted this dish ( as a style ) before .  a few differences :

Tj's bagged spinach , a very generous amount , on  the plate.  I leave the stems on , and do not chop the spinach 

when I use this spinach for the Soups , I pinch off the stems ( dont pull out too the stems, on the leaf ) as in that

dish I like the spinach crunch less ,   a bit of crunch here is fine.  micro 30 - 40 seconds , to get a light wilt.

I take kimchi  and sauerkraut , dont drain too much , and chop.  there is some juice on the bottom that goes well

w the spinach .  This time I added perhaps a Tsp of Tj's white miso .  its quiet salty , but it was enough to taste

the miso in the kimchi// kraut mixture .  that get too room temp , and is distributed around the outer spinach.

Miro Tj's Lamb Vindalloo.  that goes in the center.  rice first , then lamb.

garnishes :  green onion ( window )  red onion , chopped walnuts ( Tj's ) and dried cranberries  ( TJ's ) 

that'sit .   and of course , an Ice cold Hoponius Union.

this dish can take on  more onion , and  more walnuts and cranberries .

Nice Indian-ish dish , easy to make , and not requiring take out.

try it .

• Like 8

This is my year to host the family Thanksgiving dinner so I thought I'd practice ways to cook it before November.   This is a twist on  a ThermoWorks recipe posted last year. I tried it  last year and the white meat was juicy and the dark meat was well cooked. The twist from the original recipe is that I tried it in the smoker this time. When I only cook turkey once a year, by the time it comes around a year later, I have forgotten what I did to make it special... Come to think of it there hasn't been a really special turkey ever.  Once quite a while ago someone brought a smoked turkey to a potluck and I didn't like it.  Now after a few  years of doing my own smoking, I think I probably didn't like it because the person didn't know how to smoke properly. If he was like me, when I first started,  he thought any smoke is good smoke and the more the better.  If that is what happened, that is why it did not taste good to me.  So this year I'll practice a few times to see what turns out well.  This one was was spatchcocked so it would cook faster and hopefully without any undercooked parts.  I took it out of the smoker at 157 º at the breast and let is coast up to 160º out of the smoker.  The dark meat was mostly 185 to 190 which is what dark turkey meat should be. Usually when it comes out whenever the pop-up timer signals, it usually means the white meat is dry and the dark meat is under cooked.  I mean its safely cooked but kind of icky.  This way the dark meat surrounds the white meat and cooked properly by the time the white meat in the middle was done and still juicy and the skin is crispy. 

So the look, feel and temperatures tell me that this one is going to be good.  When it cools down, I'll cut it up and we will have it for dinner.

image.jpeg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 4

n-i-c-e browned bird!

done several spatcocked chickens - it is a valuable technique.

regrets, I'm in the  'oh no, not turkey!'  club - once a year is more than enough (g)

yeah - the 'once in a while' cooking expedition is always a challenge. 

I make a .txt file with my own 'note/approach' to recipes and notes 'for better next time...'

13 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

n-i-c-e browned bird!

done several spatcocked chickens - it is a valuable technique.

regrets, I'm in the  'oh no, not turkey!'  club - once a year is more than enough (g)

yeah - the 'once in a while' cooking expedition is always a challenge. 

I make a .txt file with my own 'note/approach' to recipes and notes 'for better next time...'

We have tasted this one and it is a keeper.  Everything was properly cooked and nothing was dried out.  I suspect that most people who don't like turkey have never tasted one that is properly cooked. Turkey is a large mass with different parts needing different temperatures to be at their best. The pop-up timers that most people rely on are very accurate but they are set too hot  and the turkey producers don't put them in with any attention toward where they put them.  It should go dead center of the mass of the white meat.  You have to check with a second probe when it starts closing in on the target temperature to make sure it is in the coolest part of the breast.

• Like 2

Dinner tonight was chicken fillet in a white wine tarragon sauce with small potatoes and silver beet. Thyme sprig in there as well. 

IMG_2795.jpeg.6a1c4fc803e9baea5611c45eb344a914.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Charcuterie for dinner- blueberry goat cheese, Jarelsburg, horseradish chive and tomato basil for cheeses.  Spicy baby dills, jalapeño garlic green olives, dill sauerkraut. Walla walla onion mustard.  Smoked salmon, dried thuringer, dry salami, pepper salami, Calabrese, and prosciutto. 

Simple Mills almond flour crackers not pictured

20240926_185330.thumb.jpg.d6e78122a003c0d89d334c91779dffff.jpg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 3

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.