• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Shrimp Wonton Soup for supper:

ShrimpWontonSoup6375.jpg.5dcf405dcd817fec0667c8cb80b0df10.jpg

Chicken breasts have been on sale quite often. I am stocked up, using my Foodsaver. Parmesan-Panko crusted chicken breast cooked in Ninja toaster oven, along with Cavendish tater wedges. Buttered carrots, Mango Chili dipping sauce and spicy ketshup along for the ride.

ParmaChicken6408.jpg.49e41938dbaad20505b88edfcc83698c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Tonight was another try on the Paella I cooked recently. This time I used my large Lodge cast iron skillet in place of the Le Creuset Paella pan. This was an attempt to get a better soccorat, unfortunately it didn’t have the desired result.

I also finished off the cooking in the oven, as per the Josẽ Pizarro recipe that I attempted last time; only then I cooked it on the stovetop. 
Whilst it fell short in a couple of desired areas Mrs T63 and myself found it very enjoyable. No doubt another attempt is on the cards.

IMG_1419.thumb.jpeg.66c280395310ce73b155d476f5790275.jpeg

• Like 13

Charlie wanted one last cook-out of the year with friends. I smoked two slabs of ribs and a brisket. The first picture is of the brisket after 6 hours @ 250. It took a total of 10 hours to finish. It was very tender and juicy. I cooked the ribs and brisket a day apart and kept them in the refrigerator until serving time, then re-heated them in the oven and kept warm in a large covered pan on a electric griddle.  The day of, I converted the smoker into a grill by taking out all the insides and scraping out all the grease so there wouldn't be a grease fire when the charcoal went in. I lined the bottom with foil to further keep the charcoal apart from any fat, but mostly for easier clean-up.  I had some Grill Grates that fit the smoker. They have a ridged side and a flat side. I used the flat side up (We don't need any stinkin Blackstone) I topped then with grill mats from Walmart so I could change them when I changed from pork bulgogi to beef bulgogi.  That prevented any flavor cross over.  Sides were a Mexican street corn salad, a fruit salad, and a coleslaw made with a tangy vinaigrette.The beef bulgogi and pork bulgogi was kept warm in slow cookers. By the time they were done, people were starting to arrive and I didn't think to take any more pictrures 

IMG_1777.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

Lamb Prep -- garlic, rosemary, Worchester, brandy, lemon, evoo

image.thumb.png.e28e6f23e263f668770006d86c949855.png

finished in wood oven

image.thumb.png.d8ac72c11fbe8c1a53f98b28b8cea7d9.png

image.thumb.png.3aa19841cfad1ad0604977fa22dcaf14.png

other fun things

Shishito and tators

image.thumb.png.398b3f356de25fa54c18d79b041b4c12.png

Fig ,gorgonzola, carnalized balsamic shallots, pancetta

image.thumb.png.4fd8c2ba2c22e17ebdecf7ce84a6fcab.png

image.thumb.png.4178f030b9d9417a9e032d74c8956ca4.png

raspberry cream cheese puff daddy

image.thumb.png.e5122a2309d42ad20287540e77e7b8e0.png

i was toast after that

image.thumb.png.469f7f3bbf38cf9affa70fcaa1e6991e.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 7

Its good to have Morels

We eat quite a bit of salmon. We don't fish but we have friends and neighbours who do and they are very generous. Not the best photo because I took a piece that was a bit broken up. Green beans from my little garden. 

PXL_20240721_014418183.PORTRAIT-EDIT2.thumb.jpg.48089032ee54ca3d35843ff3cdd57672.jpg

Yesterday I made my husband enchiladas but then I decided that I wanted something lighter so I had more green beans and tomatoes from the garden with some feta cheese and a simple balsamic vinegar dressing. This turned out to be a LOT more photogenic than enchiladas.   🙂

PXL_20240902_184756521.thumb.jpg.9233b586504c7611d58c492bd6e4fba2.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

Labor day dinner tonight consisted of about all my favorite summer foods. We started with roasted okra, which is a bit crunchy and a perfect finger food with aioli. Really, my favorite way to eat okra. Then very good corn on the cob, simply buttered and salted. And a salad: no idea where the recipe came from, but it's called Peach Tomato and Burrata Caprese. If you like peaches and tomatoes together like I do, then this is a splash home run. Burrata goes in the center of the plate. Around it were sliced Cherokee tomatoes, lightly salted. Then a layer of peach slices. We had some plums, so I added slices of those too. The salad gets a minimal drizzle of lemon and olive oil dressing, a little more salt, a little bit of basil, and finally a sprinkling of toasted pine nuts. This is a fantastic salad when you have really flavorful tomatoes, a ripe peach and a tasty not too soft sweet-tart plum. With burrata. well, kill me now. And then there was tennis. And then Coffee Bean Blast ice cream.

• Like 8

My wife and I fell in love with Padang food while in Jakarta - it's really popular there. What I didn't realize was how labor intensive it was! The Padang restaurants should be charging a fortune! This weekend I had a bit of time so I decided to try to make one of my favorites, ayam balado - balado chicken. I don't know what balado means, if anything. I do know that Malaysia has something similar, they call belado. (Anything can be balado-ified - we saw potatoes balado, eggs balado, fried fish balado...) The chicken is first simmered in a watery broth of ground spices like ginger, garlic, turmeric, ground coriander, etc and then removed and drained. The chicken is then shallow fried in a lot of oil, then removed and drained. Then, in a little bit of the oil, some mashed red chillies (typically 2 or 3 kinds so it's not so spicy), shallots and tomato are stir fried in the oil, with some of the chicken simmering broth added midway through and then fried until dry at which time the chicken is then refried in the chilli mixture and then finally served!!!

Just in case there's not enough flavor there, it's commonly served with one or two more sambal - either sambal merah (red sambal) or sambal ijo (green sambal). We were addicted to the sambal ijo and since I finally found (at least temporarily) a source of green tomatoes, I decided to try to make it also, even though I didn't have the right green chillies for it - but the ones I got were ok.

PXL_20240902_234558299.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.14438abbc3d841cf7cbede1aa6ebf7dd.jpg

PXL_20240902_234808413.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.4d1fed3be4bc40f68e28a47b21ff711b.jpg

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 4

23 hours ago, KennethT said:

I don't know what balado means, if anything.

Balado means 'with chili (lado)'.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Got home from work in London too late to spend time on potatoes tonight, so it was a quick pan seared salmon, steamed tender stem broccoli and spinach cooked with garlic and butter. Start to finish about 15 minutes with a little assistance from Mrs T63. Who says you need time to cook and eat well and healthily?

IMG_1424.thumb.jpeg.a6dbfd32fc0e0e8d796035d6f7669e17.jpeg

• Like 14

I used about half the left-over smoked brisket from Sunday's BBQ, to make Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches.  Charlie likes provolone and I like Cheese Whiz so I put in provolone in all of it, pushed some of it aside and added Cheese Whiz to my side and more provolone to his side. I'll make sure not to use a stainless steel skillet the next time I cook something with cheese in it. Clean-up was a chore.

IMG_1795.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Keema_dal_202409.thumb.jpg.3c30253457a98b78f4a113faab0062e6.jpg

My usual lamb keema, this time with green beans.  No complaints.

Masoor dal, finished with ghee-fried onions, cumin, turmeric, chile powder, paprika, panch foran, and crushed tomato fried in ghee. Made a fresh batch of panch foran with equal parts cumin seed, kala jeera, aniseed, coriander, and fenugreek. Turned out very well.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

7 hours ago, KennethT said:
8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

so lado means chilli in Bahasa? 

No. It's Minang dialect. Cabai in Bahasa, as you say.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

No. It's Minang dialect. Cabai in Bahasa, as you say.

Thanks. It completely skipped my mind that every region basically speaks their own language and that Bahasa is commonly almost a 2nd language.

• Like 1

A couple of recent dinners:

Shrimp with pasta and peas in butter:

shrimp-pasta7.jpg.b62424d7be3225bd125e7babd1311f15.jpg

Wife came down with cold, so even though it's 103F today, she wanted chicken soup.  Chicken, carrots, celery, peas and onion.  No noodles.

chicken-soup10.jpg.bd38358881c3e9e29f50996fe2c9d737.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

NY striploin (which needed trimming, but was quite thick and med-rare centre) along with steamed farm corn and sauteed mushrooms and a few tomatoes from our garden. 

PXL_20240904_012319249.PORTRAIT-EDIT.thumb.jpg.b82e1a23165980845cfe87fcdee50fd5.jpgPXL_20240904_012635324.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.c1115f926664058162250de83f4db9a9.jpg

PXL_20240904_012345603.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.a1731c3f72bf9018c0fe6f2779117e71.jpgPXL_20240904_162623152.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.1716f2dbbb170965c15ac31e6b7cee5c.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

13 hours ago, mgaretz said:

chicken-soup10.jpg.bd38358881c3e9e29f50996fe2c9d737.jpg

I would love a bowl of your chicken soup.  Love brothy soups and I like the size you left the onions. Would just have

to pick out the carrots. 

Last night's dinner.
GrilledPorkChopsSeptember3rd20242.thumb.jpg.c5988a11332d760d71d82c51bb0f533c.jpg
I bought a small rack of Pork and cut four thick chops, one bone each. Froze two and the other two were grilled last night.
Made the potato gratin that Moe likes, with potatoes, onions cooked in chicken broth, seasoned with fresh thyme, salt and pepper.
Cooked in a cast iron skillet also cooked on the grill.
GrilledPorkChopsSeptember3rd2024.thumb.jpg.2f701198c43a555574b321e652094513.jpg

With grilled zucchini on the side.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

@Norm Matthews

20 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I used about half the left-over smoked brisket from Sunday's BBQ, to make Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches.  Charlie likes provolone and I like Cheese Whiz so I put in provolone in all of it, pushed some of it aside and added Cheese Whiz to my side and more provolone to his side. I'll make sure not to use a stainless steel skillet the next time I cook something with cheese in it. Clean-up was a chore.

(sigh)  Norm, you got come east!

I was born in the Philadelphia Naval Hospital, grew up just outside the city, did college at Ben's Place . . .

ate more hoagies, steaks, cheese steaks, grinders than I could ever count . . .

converting the brisket to a sandwich - good move - but definitely not a Phila Cheesesteak.

the classic Phila Steak is thin sliced beef + very soft onions.  sweet green peppers is a 'not-unusual' add.

the Phila Cheese Steak is as above plus provolone melted on the hot meat....

the 'cheez whiz' guys use that to avoid having to wait for the cheese to melt . . .

some local places do the Phila Steak, add the cheese slices, pop under a broiler / salamander for seconds to melt the cheese.

a classic Phila hoagie/steak under the broiler = grinder.  sort of....definitions and execution vary wildly . . .

the best home-made Phila Steak/Cheesesteak I've come up with is simply the "Steak-Ums" product on a decent roll plus adds.

one has to pre-prep/cook the onions and peppers, add that to hot beef piled in a roll. 

DW then pours the grease/fat from the Steak-Ums prep onto the rolls . . something about 'essential' . . . she's from Bal-mor....

not 'the real thing' - but pretty dang close.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

@Norm Matthews

(sigh)  Norm, you got come east!

I was born in the Philadelphia Naval Hospital, grew up just outside the city, did college at Ben's Place . . .

ate more hoagies, steaks, cheese steaks, grinders than I could ever count . . .

converting the brisket to a sandwich - good move - but definitely not a Phila Cheesesteak.

the classic Phila Steak is thin sliced beef + very soft onions.  sweet green peppers is a 'not-unusual' add.

the Phila Cheese Steak is as above plus provolone melted on the hot meat....

the 'cheez whiz' guys use that to avoid having to wait for the cheese to melt . . .

some local places do the Phila Steak, add the cheese slices, pop under a broiler / salamander for seconds to melt the cheese.

a classic Phila hoagie/steak under the broiler = grinder.  sort of....definitions and execution vary wildly . . .

the best home-made Phila Steak/Cheesesteak I've come up with is simply the "Steak-Ums" product on a decent roll plus adds.

one has to pre-prep/cook the onions and peppers, add that to hot beef piled in a roll. 

DW then pours the grease/fat from the Steak-Ums prep onto the rolls . . something about 'essential' . . . she's from Bal-mor....

not 'the real thing' - but pretty dang close.

Charlie and I were talking about what to call these since they aren't Philly but they are cheese, peppers, & beef.  I think from what I have seen in stores, a steak can be any cut of meat or fish that is meant to be an individual serving while a roast can sometimes be the same meat but cut but to serve more than one. So I think it's still OK to call it a cheese steak but not a Philly. Texans have a different idea of  chili than what I make but it's still chili, I just don't call it Texas chili.   How about  I call it a KCBBQ cheese steak?  We have often made these sandwiches with Steak-Ums before.  We both think think thin sliced smoked brisket is a step up.  We also like to add jalapeño.  :) 

• Like 2