• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Oven baked haddock over shrimp roe noodles pan fried with shanghai choy, chili crisp oil, garlic and fish sauce. With a tomato and finished with green onion tops and cilantro.

OvenBakedHaddockShrimpRoeNoodlesShanghaiChoyandTomatoes.thumb.JPG.ece992466174d62ff92d2202ddab2edf.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Sunday night niece and nephew chose the menu. Nephew grilled chicken kebabs with peppers and onions (and a porterhouse steak, not pictured), niece made macaroni and cheese, and I tossed some broccoli in

chickenkababs.thumb.jpg.33c31dfe93220443cf6c855e57ca4f9d.jpg

Monday was pasta night.  Husband, sister and I had eggplant involtini with arugula salad

eggplantinvoltini.thumb.jpg.9afcf45cde30816bb1db63723102eb78.jpg

Niece had beet gnocchi with roasted beet sauce, spinach, toasted pine nuts and browned butter.  The gnocchi and beet sauce were already made and pulled from the freezer to quickly pan saute, so that was easy enough

beetgnocchi.thumb.jpg.5ff4e4771cf4180e3f59b005b98e35a2.jpg

Nephew had a baked ravioli and chicken casserole, and I also baked a loaf of focaccia, but I did not get pictures of those.

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

We’ve finished travelling and packing after selling our little country holiday home and I’m feeling tired and washed out. I ordered take out Sweet and Sour pork to be delivered the other night...noticed that they had Mapo Tofu on the menu, so got some of that as well. Big mistake for me as it was so spicey hot I couldn’t eat it ( and I do like my chillis ) Husband had some and finished it off for lunch the next day. That’s the Mapo Tofu on the right looking all innocent. 

446FC129-5665-481F-A5C4-DE88F324D8EF.jpeg.8d8740346cf235e1727d75604d9eccad.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 6

Shaking beef (bo luc lac) - NY strip seared with garlic, oyster sauce, and soy sauce, then tossed with the dressing (lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, bird chiles), pineapple, shallot, and Thai basil. Served over red-leaf lettuce and garden tomatoes.

Shaking_beef_202406.thumb.jpg.122d23b24b94f386e26722e9cbc59d88.jpg

Mrs. C brought freshly-picked strawberries from Wisconsin. We ate what we could eat, and then she made a strawberry-blueberry crisp

Shaking_beef_202406-1.thumb.jpg.d755027df86bcb52ecd13761c469790f.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

A rare event for me.  I made an actual evening meal....with meat!  

Clockwise from lower right: Prakas's rib eye, steamed jasmine rice, stir-fried greens with garlic and chiles and a grapefruit and cucumber salad with coconut, peanuts and fried shallot all from Kris Yenbamroong's Night + Market cookbook. 

DA70DCEE-19C6-40D6-9FAA-610A0F04A5A3_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.873c8d0cde29a001b9c79be8f8b15859.jpeg

Prakas was Kris Yenbamroong's father and the rib eye was something he came up with and served at his restaurant, Talésai.   The rib eye gets a brief bath in black soy sauce and Thai seasoning sauce before getting a hard sear and a rest before being sliced and then stir-fried with garlic, bird's eye chiles, cherry tomatoes, Thai seasoning sauce, oyster sauce, a bit of sugar and Thai basil.  It gets finished with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, of all things.  Tasted good. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 7

10 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

A rare event for me.  I made an actual evening meal....with meat!  

Clockwise from lower right: Prakas's rib eye, steamed jasmine rice, stir-fried greens with garlic and chiles and a grapefruit and cucumber salad with coconut, peanuts and fried shallot all from Kris Yenbamroong's Night + Market cookbook. 

DA70DCEE-19C6-40D6-9FAA-610A0F04A5A3_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.873c8d0cde29a001b9c79be8f8b15859.jpeg

Prakas was Kris Yenbamroong's father and the rib eye was something he came up with and served at his restaurant, Talésai.   The rib eye gets a brief bath in black soy sauce and Thai seasoning sauce before getting a hard sear and a rest before being sliced and then stir-fried with garlic, bird's eye chiles, cherry tomatoes, Thai seasoning sauce, oyster sauce, a bit of sugar and Thai basil.  It gets finished with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, of all things.  Tasted good. 

What is meant by Thai seasoning sauce?  Is that like a Golden Mountain sauce which is like a Maggi type thing?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KennethT said:

What is meant by Thai seasoning sauce?  Is that like a Golden Mountain sauce which is like a Maggi type thing?

Yes.  I know nothing of Thai ingredients but the author calls it Thai seasoning sauce throughout the book.  He mentioned both Golden Mountain and Healthy Boy brands and I saw other brands at the store. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of easy dinners to get through the week..

Pie and peas.

IMG_20240611_185545.thumb.jpg.de5f60de0e4eea9d7d525aeca58c1d8c.jpg

Stuffed potato with savoury mince.

IMG_20240610_180722.thumb.jpg.bc543cf83afb24ce5ba1c8fadd69020c.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Using up bits and pieces- sweet potato, peas, and a smoked blue cheese brat from a local meat market. 

Partner had rockfish pasta with lemon sauce

20240611_181704.thumb.jpg.dff373c2590d502b474fad402a9fcf48.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

I believe this would be considered a po'boy.

Shrimp and Chorizo with tomato, lettuce and a remoulade(ish) sauce on a WW baguette.

Dry NS cider on the side.

ChorizoandShrimpPoBoy.thumb.JPG.88d742ee0ef0bae3c397de040ad3fdf3.JPG

• Like 15
  • Delicious 4

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Last night's dinner was a dish I hadn't made recently. Forgot how much we both loved this recipe.

CajunBakedCountryStyleRibsJune11th2024.thumb.jpg.0c8d6bc78edf40d9d6b891b7a1cb22ad.jpg

From Paul Prudhomme's Family Recipes cookbook, - Baked Country Style Pork ribs.

Recipe was apparently from one of his sisters and her husband. I've been making this for over 30 years.
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

13 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Caramel pork

That sounds delicious. I Googled it and recipes that I found that they called for coconut water. Do you have a link to the recipe you use or can at least explain how you do it. Thank you

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

36 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That sounds delicious. I Googled it and recipes that I found that they called for coconut water. Do you have a link to the recipe you use or can at least explain how you do it. Thank you

Thanks! Recipe is from 'Into the Vietnamese Kitchen' by Andrea Nguyen. Super-simple if you have burnt caramel sauce on hand, and a longtime family favorite. I added sliced ginger because why not.

Caramelized minced pork (thit heo bam)

Whoops, forgot this:

Vietnamese caramel sauce

Edited by C. sapidus
Added caramel sauce link (log)
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Recipe is from 'Into the Vietnamese Kitchen' by Andrea Nguyen.

Thank you, the recipe seems pretty straightforward but I do have a question. Do you really make the caramel sauce in such a small batch or do you double it?

28 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Thank you, the recipe seems pretty straightforward but I do have a question. Do you really make the caramel sauce in such a small batch or do you double it?

Usually I make double, which lasts quite a while. This time sugar limitations dictated a smaller batch (which should still last a while).

• Thanks 1