• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tell us about the popular foods you’ve never tried

liuzhou

17 hours ago, chromedome said:

It's not like it's a venerable tradition up here, either. I'd never heard of it until the early 90s (when I moved back from BC to NS), and IIRC its invention only dates to the late 1950s in Quebec. I'm not sure how long it took to catch on anywhere else, but presumably it crossed the border first into Ontario. I'd certainly never seen it in BC before moving home, and I think it was still fairly new in NS at the time.

I grew up in Montreal (moved to Ontario in 1980) and never heard of it before the late 90's.

Now it seems most casual and take out places (including pizzerias) have it on the menu. 

To paraphrase the old joke: It takes the average person 24-36 hours to turn food into feces. A poutine cook can do it in 10 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

Another thing - pickle them (ramps), and use them for Gibsons! (Or Bloody Mary's or Maria's, if you must).

I guess I'm just jealous. My ramps patch failed this year.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here it’s the seasonal item before the asparagus / strawberry season starting up in two weeks …

I can get fresh ramps everywhere (including in the forest, fresh with fox tapeworm larvae). But also all related products. I do enjoy this one …

FBD9A8D3-04CB-4439-A1E9-C800DF359ED0.thumb.jpeg.5ed1ed66ba87b2fa3ba317fa29b3a0b5.jpeg

(Halbwertszeit is about 1 day in my household)

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, gfweb said:

LOL. Ramps. Beloved of bored chefs. Little bitty hyperlocal and seasonal alliums. In season right now.

They are fine, but really add nothing unique. I cook with them when I have them.

You are missing nothing.

Yeah!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 2 weeks later...

Today I had a Popeye's chicken sandwich (a friend brought it to me because we're busy, I'm bored with the food at the pizza place next door and she was getting one anyway).  It was very crispy, which surprized me, I don't know what I was expecting.  And, normally I am not a pickle fan (except for bread and butter pickles  on a homemade cheeseburger) but there were pickles in the sandwich!  And I liked it! 😆  I don't go to fast food places like McDonalds, BK or Wendys so I don't have a frame of reference for where Popeye's falls on this spectrum, and I haven't had anything else from there to know if this sandwich was an anomaly and I'll never get a nice crispy chicken sandwich ever again or if this is how they always are.  (I'm not planning on going out of my way for another one so we may never know.   The last time I was in a fast food place was in San Diego, at El Pollo Loco at the turn of the century.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JeanneCake said:

Today I had a Popeye's chicken sandwich (a friend brought it to me because we're busy, I'm bored with the food at the pizza place next door and she was getting one anyway).  It was very crispy, which surprized me, I don't know what I was expecting.  And, normally I am not a pickle fan (except for bread and butter pickles  on a homemade cheeseburger) but there were pickles in the sandwich!  And I liked it! 😆  I don't go to fast food places like McDonalds, BK or Wendys so I don't have a frame of reference for where Popeye's falls on this spectrum, and I haven't had anything else from there to know if this sandwich was an anomaly and I'll never get a nice crispy chicken sandwich ever again or if this is how they always are.  (I'm not planning on going out of my way for another one so we may never know.   The last time I was in a fast food place was in San Diego, at El Pollo Loco at the turn of the century.)

Popeyes is pretty darn good fried chicken. Perhaps a bit underseasoned for my taste, but they are always pretty crispy. Shake Shack is good too, but I won't stand in line.

• Like 3

On 3/25/2023 at 7:20 AM, gfweb said:

My 30 y/o daughter has never had a McD's hamburger

I was trying to go through life without eating a Macca's burger but there was a flood in the city where I was living and we were out sand-bagging and a van racked up and handed out burgers. I do go to McDonald's sometimes but usually get chicken

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 3/27/2023 at 12:46 AM, gfweb said:

Poutine and it's Jersey cousin, disco fries, is classic drunk food or stadium food...meant to be eaten with a plastic fork.

I've only had Tim Horton's poutine and I'm not sure that counts. But I maintain an HSP - Halal Snack Pack is the best variation of stuff on chips

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 1:19 AM, liuzhou said:

Mexican food.

Too much c⊘rn and I'm not a lover of cooked cheese.

There's a huge amount of Mexican food that has nothing to do with corn. In fact I can't recall ever eating Mexican with corn except corn tortillas and tamales. And there's a lot without melted cheese - fajitas, carnitas, tacos, mole, menudo 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, haresfur said:

There's a huge amount of Mexican food that has nothing to do with corn. In fact I can't recall ever eating Mexican with corn except corn tortillas and tamales. And there's a lot without melted cheese - fajitas, carnitas, tacos, mole, menudo 

As I've already acknowledged and explained upthread.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2023 at 8:26 AM, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

I grew up in Montreal (moved to Ontario in 1980) and never heard of it before the late 90's.

Now it seems most casual and take out places (including pizzerias) have it on the menu. 

To paraphrase the old joke: It takes the average person 24-36 hours to turn food into feces. A poutine cook can do it in 10 minutes.

I've eaten Poutine a number of times...mostly it's been either ho hum or plain awful...I think canned gravy is the answer here.

But one time, at a local but now defunct brewery, I had Poutine that was, as they say, to die for.  The level of deliciousness was out of this world.  I have no idea why.  It was many years ago.  

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

23 hours ago, Darienne said:

I've eaten Poutine a number of times...mostly it's been either ho hum or plain awful...I think canned gravy is the answer here.

But one time, at a local but now defunct brewery, I had Poutine that was, as they say, to die for.  The level of deliciousness was out of this world.  I have no idea why.  It was many years ago.  

MSG ?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, lindag said:

Sous Vide anything.  Unless, of course, it was served to me in a restaurant.

Me neither. And the infrequent restaurant visits I make are mostly Vietnamese or sushi joints. I've never eaten a McDonald's burger. I've never eaten lab-grown meat. I've never eaten eggless or vegan mayonnaise. I've never had poutine, nor do I want to. I've never had pfefernusse, whatever that is. But it's fun to say.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, TdeV said:

I'd never had poutine, but we had some duck poutine at Au Pied de Cochon in Montréal.

Definitely to die for.

Many years ago now, but very fond memory.

This got me curious. Picard did/does a number of duck dishes however his signature poutine is 'Foie Gras Poutine' (from my copy of his 2006 cookbook). If so a very decadent dish and something I wouldn't mind trying.

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

I've never had poutine, nor do I want to. I've never had pfefernusse, whatever that is. But it's fun to say.

Those are worth a try. Nice spiced cookie.

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Those are worth a try. Nice spiced cookie.

With the exception of cinnamon and ginger and most gingerbread cakes, I pretty much don't like spicy or hot elements in my sweet treats. I love chile in savory dishes, but not in my dark chocolate bars or mixed into any chocolate desserts. I like black pepper, but not in a cookie. Cardamom has always been a puzzle to me. Fine as an ingredient in curries, etc., but in coffee or pancakes or sweet breads  forget it.

I absolutely can't stand anything pumpkin pie spice, so I pass on pumpkin spice latte or pumpkin pie. I love sweet potato pie but I make it without the traditional pumpkin spices. And I'm not fond of cakes that are described as  "spice cake."  So don't expect to bump into me at National Pfeffernusse Day events! 

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Haha 3