• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tri-Tip

Shel_B

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Matthew.Taylor

It sounds like you have a three burner Weber.

Ive forgotten if you can turn on just one burner.

front or back , if your version has the burners going parallel to the front.

Yeah, Weber. Three burners, front to back. Yeah, you can turn on just one if you want.

Edited by Matthew.Taylor (log)

On 4/25/2024 at 1:44 PM, btbyrd said:

You have summoned this obligatory video on how to cut a tri-tip.

I would have to special order a whole tri-tip - my guy only packs the one half as tri-tip, and I think the other is rump cap (which he is also learning to label as picana for the cool people). That's ok because there are only 2 of us. I do know about the grain but have to try cutting on the bias. That's something I have generally only been doing for flat steaks like flatiron and banjo.

I think even my knives are sharper than his, though.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

5 hours ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Ok, still planning on making this, but everything I’ve read calls for a 2-zone set-up. I know what that is, but my grill has 3 burners. I thought of turning the two on the outside on, while keeping the middle one off, would this work?

Indirect heat like that has worked well for me. I have a stainless smoker box that can be filled with water-soaked wood chips that works well perched over the side burner, under the grate. It is a bit hard to tell the temperature right where the meat is - the thermometer on the lid reads hotter because it is higher.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.