• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

On 10/31/2023 at 8:19 PM, KennethT said:

Thanks for this.  I was curious as to the dish's origin. Is this a common treatment of the area or something of your own invention?

I tried it once in the Philippines when I visited the country. It was good. They only marinate it with salt, but with my version, I tried it with onion, garlic, pepper, and lime.

• Thanks 1

I haven’t been posting much in this topic recently, mainly because I have been eating lots of repeats of stuff I’ve posted before. Also because I’m still on my delivery diet and, although, my choice is so wide, I’m bored of it.

However, tonight I found something which I’ve eaten before, but years ago and have never posted here. This is 雪里蕻肉沫 (xuě lǐ hóng ròu mò) or snow mustard minced pork. 雪里蕻(xuě lǐ hóng) is a type of leaf mustard, often also called by the homophonic name 雪里红 (xuě lǐ hóng). One of my my favourite doses of healthy greens

Served as usual, with rice. Real tasty comfort food.

.thumb.jpg.e15707f73dd9ca560c62b86851f97b34.jpg

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Shrimp_curry_202311.thumb.jpg.04a8f27afe4ea34c1a028bdcc0cf3372.jpg

Jhinga curry – Shrimp with onion, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, coconut milk, and a cabinet full of dry spices, finished with cilantro and minced Serrano chiles. Yum. Basmati rice with ghee to go with

Carrot and toasted cashew salad, courtesy of Mrs. C. Toasted coconut, cilantro, lemon juice, and a tadka of curry leaves, cumin seed, black mustard seeds, garlic, and a halved Serrano chile.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

9 hours ago, Ann_T said:
I tried a new recipe  last tonight that a friend shared on her FB page.
SpicyLemonPastaNestsNovember2nd2023.thumb.jpg.2dddd1b29d6ba95e70e68847e23dcd40.jpg

Spicy Lemon Pasta Nests which I served with grilled boneless chicken breasts.
Moe really enjoyed this pasta dish.

Beautiful as always @Ann_T.  How do you make a pasta nest?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Beautiful as always @Ann_T.  How do you make a pasta nest?

@JoNorvelleWalker, they are easy to do.  You just pick up the pasta with long tongs and twirl the pasta around the both sides of the

tongs and then position the tongs over the plate and let the curled pasta slip off in a a neat "nest".   

You can also turn the plate as you lower the pasta which helps keep the shape. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, they are easy to do.  You just pick up the pasta with long tongs and twirl the pasta around the both sides of the

tongs and then position the tongs over the plate and let the curled pasta slip off in a a neat "nest".   

You can also turn the plate as you lower the pasta which helps keep the shape. 

I do something similar with pasta or Chinese noodles but using chipsticks instead of tongs.

Last night. Pizza Margherita, according to the vendor. Not what me or any Italian would call Margherita.

Opening the box, I found this.

_20231105140809.thumb.jpg.55ba1d7bb85916bf9efd383f6f51bfa5.jpg

Yup! Cherry Tomatoes. No basil.

Then I spotted a small bag packaged seperately. Arugula/rocket.

_20231105140833.thumb.jpg.d320cc064d94a13b99a6e40515ae7f21.jpg

It wasn't bad but a Margherita? No!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 5

I made this recipe from Southern Living.com last night.

So good on a chilly Fall day.

I did make a couple of changes.  Didn't use the bacon but did use bacon grease,

Made it in my crockpot and added the rice about an hour and a half from the end of cooking time, also added diced ham at the same time.  Did not have the Carolina Gold Rice so I used what I had on hand.  My black-eyed peas were dried and soaked for six hours.  I also halved the recipe.

Hoppin' John 

Ingredients
6 thick-cut bacon slices, chopped

4 celery stalks, sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)

1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)

1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1 cup)

3 garlic cloves, chopped (about 1 Tbsp.)

1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided

8 cups lower-sodium chicken broth

4 cups fresh or frozen black-eyed peas

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 1/2 cups uncooked Carolina Gold rice

Fresh scallions, sliced

Directions
Cook vegetables and peas:
Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until starting to crisp, about 10 minutes.

Add celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, black pepper, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 8 minutes.

Add broth and black-eyed peas, and bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until peas are tender, about 40 minutes.

Drain pea mixture, reserving cooking liquid. Return pea mixture and 1 cup of the cooking liquid to Dutch oven. Cover to keep warm; set aside.

Cook rice:
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Add rice and cook, stirring often, until fragrant and lightly toasted, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in 3 cups of the reserved cooking liquid and remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until rice is tender, 15 to 18 minutes.

Fluff rice with a fork, and gently stir into pea mixture in Dutch oven.

Stir in remaining cooking liquid, 1⁄4 cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Sprinkle servings with sliced fresh scallions.

Photos by: STACY K. ALLEN, FOOD STYLIST: RUTH BLACKBURN, PROP STYLIST: CHRISTINA DAL

image.png

Edited by lindag
photo credit (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

Platanos_202311.thumb.jpg.ea0acca2ef1c7a9e67478c35e644ebff.jpg

Plantains, a saga: I found nice, ripe plantains at the store. I looked forward to frying them up for breakfast but couldn't find them. Turns out that Mrs. C thought they were over-ripe bananas and put them in the freezer for banana bread. We chuckled, and then I set the plantains on the counter to thaw.

As dinnertime approached it became obvious that neither of us had planned a meal. Mrs. C offered to air-fry shishito peppers and bake a freezer lasagna (bought for when younger son was watching the dogs). I offered to fry the plantains.

When de-skinned they had a weird gelatinous texture so I was not optimistic but surprisingly they turned out just fine. Note that we both prefer very well-browned plantains (when Mrs. C orders plantains in a restaurant she says, "Burn 'em!"). :biggrin:

I left the room momentarily and when I returned about half of the plantains had been sampled for quality control. 🙄

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Dante said:

Chicken Rochambeau with sides of corn-and-edamame succotash, and roasted red kuri squash

IMG_20231030_201354.jpg

I'd never heard of the dish.  Is that the same Rochambeau who one long ago summer day marched past the apartment where I live?  What was the recipe?

12 hours ago, lindag said:

I made this recipe from Southern Living.com last night.

So good on a chilly Fall day.

I did make a couple of changes.  Didn't use the bacon but did use bacon grease,

Made it in my crockpot and added the rice about an hour and a half from the end of cooking time, also added diced ham at the same time.  Did not have the Carolina Gold Rice so I used what I had on hand.  My black-eyed peas were dried and soaked for six hours.  I also halved the recipe.

Hoppin' John 

Ingredients
6 thick-cut bacon slices, chopped

4 celery stalks, sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)

1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)

1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1 cup)

3 garlic cloves, chopped (about 1 Tbsp.)

1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided

8 cups lower-sodium chicken broth

4 cups fresh or frozen black-eyed peas

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 1/2 cups uncooked Carolina Gold rice

Fresh scallions, sliced

Directions
Cook vegetables and peas:
Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until starting to crisp, about 10 minutes.

Add celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, black pepper, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 8 minutes.

Add broth and black-eyed peas, and bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until peas are tender, about 40 minutes.

Drain pea mixture, reserving cooking liquid. Return pea mixture and 1 cup of the cooking liquid to Dutch oven. Cover to keep warm; set aside.

Cook rice:
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Add rice and cook, stirring often, until fragrant and lightly toasted, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in 3 cups of the reserved cooking liquid and remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until rice is tender, 15 to 18 minutes.

Fluff rice with a fork, and gently stir into pea mixture in Dutch oven.

Stir in remaining cooking liquid, 1⁄4 cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Sprinkle servings with sliced fresh scallions.

image.png

I'm ambivalent when it comes to black-eyed peas, but @lindag that is remarkably beautiful food photography.

36 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd never heard of the dish.  Is that the same Rochambeau who one long ago summer day marched past the apartment where I live?  What was the recipe?

Did you get your plaque?

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm ambivalent when it comes to black-eyed peas, but @lindag that is remarkably beautiful food photography.

I cannot take photo credit, the image is from the website.

I am a lousy photographer.