• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

On 9/25/2023 at 2:04 AM, Dejah said:

While trying to fit more protein into my freezer, I found I had enough chicken parts to make up about 10 whole chickens!

Pulled a couple of breasts, a package of drumsticks, and a package of thighs out and made Spicy Chicken and Vegs with Toban sauce. Didn't have peanuts, so almonds sufficed. Sent this container over to the neighbor next door. He's a land surveyor and gets home late. He appreciated meals, and we appreciate his help whenever... 

SpicyChickenVeg2181.jpg.5ad75264133dc94ec96518468f47881a.jpg

Next evening's meal was drumsticks and carrots simmered in Glico Curry paste. 30 minute meal!

CurryCHicken2195.jpg.cee89b99f088e7213670655853436f79.jpg

One of the Chinese elders is a master gardener when it comes to Chinese vegetables. She always shares her bounty, especially Bitter Melon, which she knew we loved. I usually just stir-dry with beef and black beans, but decided to take a little time and stuffed the melons for this meal. I used ground pork, shrimp, ginger, Shitaki mushrooms for the stuffing

StuffedBitterMelon2207.jpg.cb4ff5f339dc5cfd8cfcffe1647ef994.jpg

Last night, I was babysitting the grands and got home after 8 pm. Wonton soup was the easy fix when I have prepared filling in the freezer.

WontonSoup2222.jpg.a5b5cb84bcd4e37636639f2abf0b28d9.jpg

It's been raining all day, so no garden cleaning. Had several bags of Snow Crab clusters in the freezer, but hubby just had carpal tunnel surgery beginning of the week. Didn't think he could manage, so I cracked the crab, pulled out all the meat, and made Crab Cakes with Panko. Not the best recipe but it was quick, other than the hour I took to pick out the meat! They were ok, but not as good as the Emeril Lagasse recipe I used before.

snpwcrabmeat2226.jpg.c1334dded67e909d7a21a81b146a652c.jpgCrabCakes2228.jpg.afb070cb7b69ca9ed40a3f7083398373.jpg

while I didn’t have that much chicken parts in the freezer, I did have a lot of chicken bones which was turned into stock before exiting our home.  Being on the beach takes the sting out of the move 

• Like 1

Shrimp_chile_paste_202310.thumb.jpg.17dd67a1e06f2b6a0ef0ce0c5dcda3a5.jpg

Shrimp with roasted chile paste, garlic, fish sauce, and cilantro. Broccoli with oyster sauce, garlic, fish sauce, and white pepper. Jasmine rice.

Quick and tasty because we wanted to walk downtown this evening. Carrot cake cupcake and free Flying Dog IPA.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

On 10/26/2023 at 4:36 PM, weinoo said:

Of course, Sietsema's stock in trade is not necessarily the Foxfaces of the world; in any event, just a hit piece by Eater, which won't make one bit of difference to Foxface or its clientele.

Hit piece is right.  You'd think Eater didn't get their payoff or something.  Weird site.

Little one is spending a week with his grandparents and for the adults version of Pizza & Movie Night we just had „freezer raid“ snacks …

IMG_1249.thumb.jpeg.dfbc105753149f1d10a59cf1cef19a57.jpeg

Enjoyed with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo … Noomi Rapace is still my #1 Lisbeth 🤗

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Our last hurrah for the summer. Supposed to drop to 28F in a couple of nights.

Got the Ooni  out and made pizza with pesto, castelvetrano olives, artichoke hearts. Topped with burrata and arugula and basil with lemony dressing. So good! 

IMG_4548.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 6

On 10/27/2023 at 5:41 AM, liuzhou said:

泡椒牛蛙 (pào jiāo niú wā) , stir fried pickled Sichuan chillies with bullfrog.

_20231027203330.thumb.jpg.0d9320766b8ba9b7318e075426a0006c.jpg

Did you have to dispatch the bullfrogs yourself?      My neighborhood markets sell them live but I've not killed one since my high school hospital lab job that required me to do so.   

eGullet member #80.

4 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Did you have to dispatch the bullfrogs yourself?      My neighborhood markets sell them live but I've not killed one since my high school hospital lab job that required me to do so.   

This dish was delivered from a local restaurant, but I normally make them from live frogs which I dispatch.

Livefrogs.thumb.jpg.6a201b19a926684e33455c18b4a26b9b.jpg

Live frogs in my local supermarket.

frog.thumb.jpg.b1cfbb13a9741b110698a1c8e3e55788.jpg

Skinned frogs in my kitchen

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My CSA has been giving me lots of carrots every week.  I must have at least 10 lbs. in the house right now, even after making this dinner recipe from the NY Times.  Recipe:  carrot risotto with chile crisp

The recipe calls for 2 1/4 lbs. of carrots.  To amp up the number of carrots used even more, I made carrot juice in my vitamix and swapped that in for some of the broth, which took care of another 1 1/2 lbs.  It was pretty tasty!  The roasted carrots were quite spicy, and we did not need any extra chile crisp drizzled on top like the recipe suggests.  

carrotrisotto.thumb.jpg.af3263a8080855f256709b818b571f38.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

At first glance I thought that said pickled halibut, and choked on my coffee. Not quite a "Cary Grant looking in the window seat in 'Arsenic and Old Lace'" double-take, but close. 

• Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning