• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Schlachtefest - the time of the year when pigs turn into various delectable meat products. Right now, everything pork is on offer, so I got a decent pork knuckle for less than 5€ …

Tried a new cooking method, that produced a super tender knuckle with at least a bit of a crunchy skin …

IMG_1193.thumb.jpeg.93266457bc38f236472ada45188ada54.jpeg

Served with (commercial) potato dumplings, a killer sauce (courtesy of said cooking method) and a „German“ salad …

IMG_1195.thumb.jpeg.8693c60802b4a880b696a017ba4c3123.jpeg

And the best beer in the world !

IMG_1194.thumb.jpeg.52eb508fdea066c1a736a8c108d69ad2.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

Chix_Viet_oven_202310.thumb.jpg.8639e637c714e90b3c472d9bbb977556.jpg

Oven-roasted chicken thighs, marinated overnight with soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic, black pepper, sugar, and oil. Mrs. C repurposed broiled cabbage leftovers into a tasty stir fry. Jasmine rice to go with.

Dipping sauce of lime, lemon, rice vinegar, sugar, fish sauce, sliced chiles, garlic, ginger, and cilantro (unpictured). Made everything better.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Kare Raisu with chicken thighs, potatoes, carrots, ginger, garlic scallions, chicken broth, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and curry paste (which was made from turmeric, coriander, ginger, cardamom, cumin, cinnamon, fennel seeds, fenugreek, garlic powder, brown mustard, sugar, butter, flour and miso). Served with sushi rice and fukujinzuke

IMG_8418.thumb.jpeg.1f2de3e5e790b707eb2375adc84492e4.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Tried a recipe from Milk Street's Tuesday Nights Mediterranean for Turkish style flatbreads stuffed with roasted butternut squash and haloumi cheese with a lemon cumin yogurt sauce.  The recipe called for large tortillas for the wrapper, probably to save time, but we all liked it enough that I found a recipe for how to make the flatbread from scratch and will make it that way next time.  I stuffed my nephew's with spiced ground beef instead of squash so everyone at the table was happy.  Next time I will do a salad instead of oven fries.  

butternutsquashflatbread.thumb.jpg.e682bef03239ae51be997094d37ae607.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Girlfriend had a hankering, so I made Completely Non-Authentic Chili (TM) last night. There was a pack of Impossible faux-ground in our freezer (she can't eat beef for medical reasons, and we both find the Beyond to taste better, but when Impossible's on sale I buy it for casseroles and such), and some cut-up tomatoes from our garden in the freezer, so those and some kidney beans and some homegrown jalapenos were the base ingredients. Cooked the beans first in my IP, then used it again to to cook the frozen tomatoes. I also pulled out a smaller quantity of pan-roasted tomatoes, because I thought those would add some depth of flavor.

I aimed to reproduce more or less the kind of fast-food chili you'd find at a Wendy's or a Tim Horton's, because that's what she likes (she'd be the first to tell you she has plebian tastes in many respects, or more accurately she'd say "I like what I like" and leave it at that). It came out just about right, and I have a bit of bean broth left over to put into a soup or something. No photo because a) chili isn't especially photogenic; and b) I never think of it in time.

• Like 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 10/22/2023 at 2:25 PM, Norm Matthews said:

I keep telling myself that I should try some different ways to do turkey better but never get around to it and don't have the nerve to try something different on The Day.  I wondered about butterfly cooking a turkey and about cutting  the bird apart and cooking them separately.  Then I got an email from ThermoWorks on How to Cook Spatchcock Turkey.  I tried it today and it turned out very well.    I made broth with the spine and neck, used some for stuffing and the rest along with pan drippings to make gravy.  The link is on youtube 

I did a spatchcocked turkey several years ago on my gas grill and it worked out well, we loved grilling any meat. 

• Like 2

I am not sure whether it’s the weather, the stress at work, the global economy or the baggage retrieval system they‘ve got at Heathrow, but every night I come home I am craving comfort food. In a lucky coincidence I am the only one who cooks at home, so …

Bratwurst, Rotkohl & buttery mashed potatoes, served with onion gravy and a cold Jever.

IMG_1202.thumb.jpeg.dd7b22bdf9d10e2bedc72b3cc157ca15.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

On 10/23/2023 at 12:39 PM, KennethT said:

Yikes.  I'm not a huge fan Robert Sietsema, but this is his latest review....

https://ny.eater.com/2023/10/23/23925204/foxface-natural-east-village-review

Of course, Sietsema's stock in trade is not necessarily the Foxfaces of the world; in any event, just a hit piece by Eater, which won't make one bit of difference to Foxface or its clientele.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

I am not sure whether it’s the weather, the stress at work, the global economy or the baggage retrieval system they‘ve got at Heathrow, but every night I come home I am craving comfort food. In a lucky coincidence I am the only one who cooks at home, so …

Bratwurst, Rotkohl & buttery mashed potatoes, served with onion gravy and a cold Jever.

IMG_1202.thumb.jpeg.dd7b22bdf9d10e2bedc72b3cc157ca15.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

YUM!!!

• Thanks 1

As mentioned in this post, I went out fishing for striped bass earlier in the week...successfully, I might add.

And last night, I took two of the filets I hadn't vacuum packed and frozen...

image.jpeg.7ec3a71351886eff98f75e11a1e134d5.jpeg

And cooked 'em a little Spanish style.  First, I par baked some thinly sliced Yukon gold potatoes, doused in olive oil, for about 20 minutes.

Then, I took the seasoned filets, put them on top, and threw some cherry tomatoes and Spanish olives all around. Back into the oven for another, oh 12 minutes, and done.  A little more olive oil, some lemon wedges, and one of the best meals you can imagine was had.

Oh, I also ought to mention, that when we butchered the fish a couple of hours after they were landed, I took the collars, salted and peppered, and grilled them; they were amazing.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?