• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

looks tasty

what are the three whitish dumpling like items on that

plate of Porky deliciousness ?

I had to look up  topfenknödel

always interesting 

but seemed to get a sweet dessert.

These leaned to the savory side, just a little sweetness...made everything go well with a nice riesling! 

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Arayes (Lebanese filled pita dough) - dough made with AP flour, dry yeast, water, salt, olive oil. Filled with a mixture of ground chicken, onions, garlic , diced tomatoes, cumin seeds, caraway seeds, cinnamon and mascarpone and topped with egg yolk and nigella seeds. Served with Moroccan inspired carrots - steamed carrots mixed with olive oil, vinegar, paprika, ground cumin, cinnamon and parsley and marinated for a few hours

IMG_8391.thumb.jpeg.3378bf30f35781ced9089474ee20bdf4.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:
Pollo Alla Marengo on the menu tonight.
PolloAllaMarengoOctober15th2023.thumb.jpg.5c559e5fe6cef5c18943b0b9cf20f78d.jpg

This is a simple recipe that I've been making for years.
It is from The Art of Eating Well, Pellegrino Artusi 1820 - 1911, Italy's Most Treasured Cookbook, Translated by Kyle M. Phillips III.

What are the ingredients?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Pizza & movie night …

With my parents still at our place we tweaked the whole thing … got a 2L can of new wine from a local wineyard and shared the dough between two pizzas and two Flammkuchen

First pizza was sausage & mushroom, and never had a chance to be photographed. 

Second was a classic Flammkuchen (creme fraiche, onions, bacon), followed by a pizza with Gorgonzola and mushrooms, and finally a Flammkuchen with roasted pumpkin (and onion, and bits of bacon).

IMG_1136.thumb.jpeg.c44e46182f05ec187982d8b8005a3b04.jpeg

All enjoyed while sipping new wine & watching Asterix and the big fight

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

got a 2L can of new wine from a local wineyard

I"m not sure I've ever seen wine in cans. Is this common in Germany?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

For new wine in the region it is. They basically have a tap in their fermentation tanks and you bring (or buy) a small canister (a can ?) of 2-5 L and get your fill. Your choice: red or white, young or more alcoholic, always with suspended yeast and very much alive. The effect on your digestion system could be described as if the Khmer Rouge invaded your lower intestines. But boy (or girl, or any other gender) - it is delicious 🤗

IMG_1140.thumb.jpeg.51f298592f0cbb7d4a016f3b3e9ed044.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Pistachio_fish_202310.thumb.jpg.abb80732f871438f6b21ebcaaf0252f9.jpg

Mrs. C made dinner last night: Pistachio encrusted red trout with fresh dill and a wine-butter sauce, baked sweet potato, and roasted green beans with wine, sesame, and probably garlic. Forgot to take a pic so this morning's leftovers will have to suffice.

She had a similar fish meal in Malta and wanted to re-create. No complaints here. 😋

Edited by C. sapidus
Forgot dill (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 4

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

For new wine in the region it is. They basically have a tap in their fermentation tanks and you bring (or buy) a small canister (a can ?) of 2-5 L and get your fill. Your choice: red or white, young or more alcoholic, always with suspended yeast and very much alive. The effect on your digestion could he described as if the Khmer Rouge invaded your lower intestines. But boy (or girl, or any other gender) - it is delicious 🤗

IMG_1140.thumb.jpeg.51f298592f0cbb7d4a016f3b3e9ed044.jpeg

At least one of the big old-school wineries in BC (Andres, maybe?) did that when I lived there in the 1980s. In fact, that was the wine we had at my wedding. :P

Wine in single-serving cans is a big thing now in the liquor stores up here, but those aren't counted in liters.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

Allover internet now. One ad has a woman takig her trash out and the bottles clinking loudly. Then with the cans -no noise

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

Kind of easy peasy pan-asian leftover DIY noodle soup dinner …

Friday’s duck phở stock with rice noodles as a base. Duck leg meat, 5 min eggs, champignons, cilantro, shuǐ jiǎo with chicken & green onion, roasted shallots, hoisin sauce. Chili crisp not pictured.

IMG_1141.thumb.jpeg.45ba82c8af0bbe4d23bf17333f9d59f8.jpeg

Not sure why I had to plate everything separately, at the end everyone wanted all the options so every bowl looked like this 😉

IMG_1142.thumb.jpeg.ceb1bf0db855fc729552d1c3b90657c5.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Sausage_chard_beans_202310.thumb.jpg.2f28d4be104d05c63f34374bd2d1ebb9.jpg

Had some red chard, green beans, and mystery freezer sausage that needed using up. Added sliced onion, garlic, jalapeno, and roasted Poblano chiles, seasoned with cumin, black pepper, cayenne, and Mexican oregano, and then simmered in cream until done.

Must have been turkey sausage because it barely rendered any fat. Anyway, turned out well.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

9 hours ago, Ann_T said:

The recipes in this cookbook are basically descriptions rather than specifics.

You can find it here: Pollo Alla Marengo

Oh, duh, "Chicken Marengo".  I was never very good with foreign languages.  I first made chicken Marengo more than fifty years ago from Joy of Cooking.  However I distinctly remember the recipe calling for a crayfish.  Odd, when I checked my current Joy of Cooking no crayfish was mentioned.  And I don't see one on your plate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Oh, duh, "Chicken Marengo".  I was never very good with foreign languages.  I first made chicken Marengo more than fifty years ago from Joy of Cooking.  However I distinctly remember the recipe calling for a crayfish.  Odd, when I checked my current Joy of Cooking no crayfish was mentioned.  And I don't see one on your plate.

This is the only recipe I have for Chicken Marengo. It is apparently a very old recipe.   What I like about it is that it isn't tomato based.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steak dinner for two.
NYStripSteakfortwoOctober16th2023.thumb.jpg.3ee6d55d3c3403b7bfaa7f9582fe659f.jpg
My intentions had been to  make a wine sauce to go with Steak and Frites for dinner. But by the time I got home from work I had changed my mind.
NYStripSteakfortwoOctober16th20231.thumb.jpg.3edb210c3f2274fb07a209a9b425b218.jpg
I wasn't overly hungry so I just grilled the17oz Sterling Silver NY Strip steak and baked four mini russet potatoes to go with.
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 7

16 hours ago, Smithy said:

Wine in cans have been available to me for at least 5 years. They’re also common at professional sporting events and concerts. I remember taking car service to see Billy Joel at MSG in 2018 with my best friend and both our moms. We pre-gamed with some canned wine. They were acceptable for the circumstances but I’d never seek them out. 

That was a while ago so I’m sure the market has improved. 

My dinner tonight was a pint of really good chicken pastina soup from a local “Chop’t” like salad chain and pretzels made by my neighbor’s mother on his last trip home to India. The spices are so complex that it’s worth the burning tongue. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Ann_T said:

This is the only recipe I have for Chicken Marengo. It is apparently a very old recipe.   What I like about it is that it isn't tomato based.  

I may have misspoken.  It is Craig Claiborne who called for a garnish of a crawfish [sic] and fried eggs.  I had few cookbooks fifty years ago.

Tonight, I decided on trying a local Thai restaurant and went for their classic Pad Thai (ดไทย). Bizarrely, the Chinese for Pad Thai is 炒金邊粉 (chǎo jīn biān fěn), which literally means ‘Fried Phnom Penh Noodles’. They name it after the capital of a totally different country? Then the restaurant lists the main ingredients as rice noodles ✔ and then veers off to yet another country, Vietnam with phở . Oh well.

It was good, but I’m not convinced it was Pad Thai, a dish I’ve eaten many times in Thailand, but never in Cambodia or Vietnam!

padthai.thumb.jpg.29057868a066be7426dfeff7f8de105f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto