• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Needing char siu for baos for Thanksgiving dim sum. Marinated a bunch of pork butt and one tenderloin, and did them up in the Big Easy. All packaged and into the freezer. Will prepare the filling before family arrive on Sat.

Charsiu2283.jpg.c69c9beda841d73a5e0328733c26133b.jpgCharSiu2284.jpg.534a786fa5535e3da8e27b98fcf2abdc.jpg

Cut a gew slices off the tenderloin, and added them to the joong from the freezer. Hubby loves Lap Cheung, so I obliged by boiling up one to add to the big piece in the joong.

StickyRiceCharsiu2290.jpg.aa23ec881f8df3d0471478c8411ee0eb.jpg

Had picked up a piece og beef from a sale at the local Mexican grocery. Didn't mark it so I couldn't remember what cut it was.  Thought best to make it into stew in the Instant Pot. 'Twas a good decision! Certainly not like the short ribs we love. Just enough for supper; happy there isn't any leftovers!😁

BeefStew2291.jpg.aabba43c3f7477f8a38e06a1b94aae98.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 8

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Marinated a bunch of pork butt and one tenderloin, and did them up in the Big Easy. All packaged and into the freezer. Will prepare the filling before family arrive on Sat.

Charsiu2283.jpg.c69c9beda841d73a5e0328733c26133b.jpg

These look fantastic as always, @Dejah, and I’d like to gove them a try. I checked and find references of members citing they used your recipe, but can’t find a direct link. Would you be so kind to point me in the right direction ? 🙏

Last night's dinner.
ChickenPerigordOctober2nd20233.thumb.jpg.078e43ca0dc373ff86485cef2400f8dc.jpg
Chicken Perigord. A dish I have been making since 1989.
ChickenPerigordOctober2nd20231.thumb.jpg.09dc016da9619c47b515ffa3a0d3dd4f.jpg
A mushroom duxelles is stuffed under the skin of boneless chicken breasts.
It is also a wonderful dinner party dish because the chicken breasts can be boned and stuffed in advance and cooked just before serving.
Source: Lucy Waverman - Seasonal Canadian Cookbook.
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 5

My oldest friend in the world (from 4th grade!) came down from NY to spend a week with us in Decatur and Highlands. The night before last we made them shrimp 'n' grits. At home in Oakland we pay about $20 or more per lb. for wild gulf shrimp. At the amazing Dekalb market they were were super nice, for $13 lb. My daughter claims her husband really likes shrimp n grits, so I'm trying hard to accommodate his eating preferences. Anyway, if I do say so myself, I make an excellent version. This trip I went as far as to bring my favorite Cajun spice mix from home all the way to the South, since every mix I've tasted from local GA sources takes like nothing but a mix of cayenne and salt. Mostly salt. The twins like grits, and one of the girls ate a bucketload of shrimp.

What do toddlers eat these days? The juice box has morphed into the Puree Pouch with an opening the size of a boba straw. It's supposed to be mixed vegetables and fruit, the assumption being, I am guessing, that the apple juice in it masks the taste of carrots and green stuff. The twins love these things, so I suspect the great percentage is apple juice. They like apples and talk about applesauce all the time, and yet neither of them liked my fried apples made with butter, sugar and Steen's syrup. More for me!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

@Duvel: Char siu - Chinese BBQ pork.doc

Hope this works!

I hadn't uploaded to eGullet. Had to search a bit in my documents!
I had broken the bars across my old GE oven, so had been cooking the strips on a broiler rack. Then on the BBQ as the racks were a mess to clean. THEN, I got the Bid Easy! They work just like the ovens in Chinese BBQ shops.

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Dejah – I loved seeing your pile of char siu!  It reminds me that I’m all out and I need to stock the freezer! 

@Duvel – just in case @Dejah’s link doesn’t work for you, I use her recipe and have it on my webpage. 

Only one dinner to show.  I’m still battling the queasiness, so lots of what we call “pick up meals” – canned soup, fold-over sandwiches, cheese and crackers.  Poor Mr. Kim has ended up fending for himself many nights (Jessica is doing a long stint of overnight pet sitting).  Just some of TJ’s orange chicken (with Mambo sauce instead of their chicken sauce which we found underwhelming), buttered rice, and salad:

IMG_4405.jpg.6fdda39231013e5a0b2b8ece7abd1351.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I knew it was a dumb idea from the get go, but you trying lying in bed in pain for three months on powerful drugs then try to make a rational decision!

In my accelerating frustration at relying on delivery food and being bored, while simultaneously developing a craving for comfort food, and recently having discussed aspects of fish and chips on this very website, guess what I tried to find!

I searched my phone app for chips and found what was described in Chinese as 香脆薯条(xiāng cuì shǔ tiáo) and in English as “delicious chips”. Massive points for using the correct name!

Then I went scrolling down the page and found 鳕域条 (xuě yù tiáo) or “cod slices”.

I got fish and I got chips.

They arrived very quickly.

fc.thumb.jpg.a24d959261f14a97aa77057badff4223.jpg

These were accompanied by two sachets of tomato ketchup (which should never be anywhere near fish and chips) and a tiny pot of Kewpie sweet mayonnaise. The ketchup went straight into the trash and the mayo had a silver dagger thrust into its heart before being hung, drawn and quartered. The "chips" were pale and limp and the fish was overcooked and dry, despite the coating not being at all coloured. The whole combo had been fried in what tasted like months old well-used oil. The aftertaste won't go away even after me washing my mouth more than once and then gargling several times with 18 year old single malt whisky, purely for medical reasons, you understand..

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

41 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I knew it was a dumb idea from the get go, but you trying lying in bed in pain for three months on powerful drugs then try to make a rational decision!

In my accelerating frustration at relying on delivery food and being bored, while simultaneously developing a craving for comfort food, and recently having discussed aspects of fish and chips on this very website, guess what I tried to find!

I searched my phone app for chips and found what was described in Chinese as 香脆薯条(xiāng cuì shǔ tiáo) and in English as “delicious chips”. Massive points for using the correct name!

Then I went scrolling down the page and found 鳕域条 (xuě yù tiáo) or “cod slices”.

These were accompanied by two sachets of tomato ketchup (which should never be anywhere near fish and chips) and a tiny pot of Kewpie sweet mayonnaise. The ketchup went straight into the trash and the mayo had a silver dagger thrust into its heart before being hung, drawn and quartered. The "chips" were pale and limp and the fish was overcooked and dry, despite the coating not being at all coloured. The whole combo had been fried in what tasted like months old well-used oil. The aftertaste won't go away even after me washing my mouth more than once and then gargling several times with 18 year old single malt whisky, purely for medical reasons, you ubderstand..

I feel your pain! But I would actually use ketsup on fish and chips - not that I would’ve eaten those fish and chips!

46 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I feel your pain! But I would actually use ketsup on fish and chips - not that I would’ve eaten those fish and chips!

On the fish, or the chips?!

Chips, no qualms...fish - highly questionable!

There is a fantastic spot called Old Yorke on Laird just south of Eglinton, if you are ever in the area.  One of the city's best. 

• Like 1

Day off and I didn't feel like going out so I pulled oxtails out of the freezer for last night's dinner.
I had everything I needed to make one of my favourite dishes.
OxtailswithmashedpotatoesOctober3rd2023.thumb.jpg.0bfc1e3e400f0fb5fd7dd1535b155102.jpg

The oxtails are browned and then braised om a wine sauce.
(wine, beef broth (salt free) onions, celery, garlic, bay leaf, black pepper, a squirt of tomato paste, and fresh rosemary)
Served with mashed potatoes and buttered peas.
This was another low salt dinner.
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 4

@liuzhou – I am so sorry for that pitiful fish you were given.  The chips just looked ordinary and undercooked, but that fish! 

@Ann_T – those oxtails look incredibly scrumptious!  Can you believe I’ve never had them?  In my area, you generally only find them at Jamaican places, which I know will be too spicy. 

Dinner out last night at one of our favorite local Mexican places.  Jessica had their new Birria tacos:

IMG_4460.JPG.9abc2162a6f3a58198d205ef74964421.JPG

They were good, but didn’t approach the quality of the other place we go to.  I had shrimp tacos with mango sauce:

IMG_4462.thumb.JPG.ce914d89465a2684671f17732119b57c.JPG

They have the best rice.

Mr. Kim had their giant chicken/beans/rice burrito:

IMG_4463.JPG.53c24147305161a815cb88ce462f3588.JPG

We’re almost never very impressed with the quality of the chicken at your average Mexican restaurant, but this was really good.  Tender, juicy and really flavorful.  And not chopped too fine. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Gemelli pasta with broccoli di  rabe, guanciale, garlic, peperoncini. Topped with toasted breadcrumbs.

A salad of radicchio, romaine and curly leaf lettuce, croutons and cheese .

Pear  almondine tart for dessert.

IMG_4752.jpeg

IMG_4755.jpeg

IMG_4718.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 3

9 hours ago, TicTac said:

On the fish, or the chips?!

Chips, no qualms...fish - highly questionable!

There is a fantastic spot called Old Yorke on Laird just south of Eglinton, if you are ever in the area.  One of the city's best. 

Both! Totally unrefined I am.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

These were accompanied by two sachets of tomato ketchup (which should never be anywhere near fish and chips) and a tiny pot of Kewpie sweet mayonnaise. The ketchup went straight into the trash and the mayo had a silver dagger thrust into its heart before being hung, drawn and quartered. The "chips" were pale and limp and the fish was overcooked and dry, despite the coating not being at all coloured. The whole combo had been fried in what tasted like months old well-used oil. The aftertaste won't go away even after me washing my mouth more than once and then gargling several times with 18 year old single malt whisky, purely for medical reasons, you ubderstand..

I am sorry for you. That is an abyssmal looking fish and chips dinner. As I know that you are originally from the UK, I'm sure you're ancestors are rolling in their graves!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 6:20 PM, Kim Shook said:

@Dejah – I loved seeing your pile of char siu!  It reminds me that I’m all out and I need to stock the freezer! 

@Duvel – just in case @Dejah’s link doesn’t work for you, I use her recipe and have it on my webpage. 

Thanks, @Kim Shook for the link! I had forgotten using Country Style ribs. Can't get that cut at our supermarkets now. They said it wasn't selling! They were perfect strips for Char Siu.

I had bought a crown pork roast a while back, on sale. Cut the thing into chops and ate the last 2 for supper last night: Breaded and finished in the Ninja Flip with Cream of Mushroom soup gravy. Rice always seem to go well with mushroom gravy, in fact, ANY gravy! A friend gave us a jar of Mustard Pickles. It was great with the pork chop!

MushroomPorkChop2299.jpg.a99c75dac192c543e41735b8701c2ce4.jpg

Evenings are really cooling off, and we had rain all day. Made a recipe that brought back many memories of the all-night diner frequented by "entertainers" when we were doing gigs in the Yorkshire area in England: Chicken Chausseur. Enjoyed this tonight with pappardelle pasta. Chips would have been more like at the diner!

ChickenChausseur2308.jpg.20cb9b851bb8f9425c562d1b1432cb8f.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Both! Totally unrefined I am.

Listen, I eat ketchup with scrambled eggs (as I know you do as well) so I have no place to comment.  It must be a Canadian thing...

Then again, neither of us are as bad as a friend of my grandfathers who told me stories of his buddy putting ketchup in his coffee at hunting camp.... 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 6