• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Tonight's delivery brought me some cheer-up food from Sichuan. I mean the food is from a local Sichuan restaurant, not your actual Sichuan which is hours away.

花椒鸡 (huā jiāo jī), Sichuan pepper chicken with 扬州炒饭 (yáng zhōu chǎo fàn), Yangzhou fried rice.

_20230909202414.thumb.jpg.507b7d32da51cb536856ce6d0216bbc2.jpg

OK. Yangzhou is nowhere near Sichuan and Yangzhou rice is a dish in itself, not usually as an accompaniment, but this wasn't what anyone Yangzhou would consider authentic. And what I felt like ordering.

The chicken dish included fresh green Sichuan peppercorns which is what attracted me. Love them.

$5.44 USD

P.S. The lighting in my prison cell is shit for taking decent pictures. Apologies.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

48 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Tonight's delivery brought me some cheer-up food from Sichuan. I mean the food is from a local Sichuan restaurant, not your actual Sichuan which is hours away.

花椒鸡 (huā jiāo jī), Sichuan pepper chicken with 扬州炒饭 (yáng zhōu chǎo fàn), Yangzhou fried rice.

_20230909202414.thumb.jpg.507b7d32da51cb536856ce6d0216bbc2.jpg

OK. Yangzhou is nowhere near Sichuan and Yangzhou rice is a dish in itself, not usually as an accompaniment, but this wasn't what anyone Yangzhou would consider authentic. And what I felt like ordering.

The chicken dish included fresh green Sichuan peppercorns which is what attracted me. Love them.

$5.44 USD

P.S. The lighting in my prison cell is shit for taking decent pictures. Apologies.

Other than luosifen, what is characteristic about the food from Guangxi?  It seems (based on previous orders) to be similar to Hunan, right?  It seems to be located kind of in between Hunan and Chongqing/Sichuan.  Also, is the food in Guizhou similar to Sichuan as it is geographically closer?

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Other than luosifen, what is characteristic about the food from Guangxi?  It seems (based on previous orders) to be similar to Hunan, right?  It seems to be located kind of in between Hunan and Chongqing/Sichuan.  Also, is the food in Guizhou similar to Sichuan as it is geographically closer?

Good question, but maybe I should answer in the Guangxi Gastronomy topic rather than weigh this one down.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Last supper with Newfie son before taking him to Winnipeg for his flight home.

Sous vide boned & rolled Lamb Saddle followed by a quick sear all around in a cast iron pan. Eaten with boiled taters and peas, AND more mint sauce!

SousVideLambloin2067.jpg.702087061992022a0856916219f2fe01.jpg

Stopped in at my favourite Chinese BBQ shop and got some duck, Siu Yook, and Rice Rolls in the adjacent Chinese supermarket. We had to skip the Costco $1.50 hot dog and drink as the line was SP LONG! Home after 3 hours, starving, so was glad to have this for "lupper" 😆

DuckRiceRolls2071.jpg.66fc4d43612d9a6a9dafa32964d21da9.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

South Indian by way of Singapore....

PXL_20230909_230834282.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.14b7664815d607700527a124236523af.jpg

Another try to replicate the fish head curry we had in Singapore (made with mahi mahi). This one came out really good but a lot chunkier than theirs. Maybe I'll just call it rustic. Hehe.... with masala potatoes and cucumber acar (fast pickle).

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

It's been a very long time since I've cooked on a gas grill.  Trying a rotisserie chicken for the 1st time.  My usual dry rub with soaked hickory chips in a smoke box. Not bad, I may have overcooked it a little.

20230908_180637.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

7 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

It's been a very long time since I've cooked on a gas grill.  Trying a rotisserie chicken for the 1st time.  My usual dry rub with soaked hickory chips in a smoke box. Not bad, I may have overcooked it a little.

20230908_180637.jpg

Looking good - seems like you are using only the outer burners ? Can’t tell if you have a backburner, though ?

@chileheadmike 

congratulations .

I grew up w rotisserie attachment  on a charcoal BBQ w a semicircular hood

you added to the charcoal gill when you wanted to use the rotisserie 

way before Weber et all.  two chickens chickens rotating every  Sat  or Sunday .

whileI mowed the grass / 

I got Weber a long time ago specifically for adding a rotisserie attachment.

remembering this.

my advice :  if it fits , do two chickens at the same time .

after the Chef consumes all the skin

very nice leftover for chicken salad etc .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Looking good - seems like you are using only the outer burners ? Can’t tell if you have a backburner, though ?

I was in the market recently for a new gas grill and wanted another with the back burner. Back burners are great when baking

pizza on the grill.     They use to be more common but for some reason they were so few that still had a back burner.

I ended up with a Weber that I'm really happy with.  

Years ago, like about 35 years, I bought my first Weber.  Back then the burners ran horizontal rather than vertical.  

When it was delivered I asked about getting a rotisserie for my new grill and was talked out of it.  The sales person

told me to just cook the bird over indirect heat on the middle burner with just the back and front burners left on. 

I've been roasting chickens that way ever since.

I had a little over two pound Sterling Silver Strip loin that I had intended to cut into two thick steaks.
BUT, instead I decided to leave it whole and roast it.
NewYorkStripRoastSeptember9th2023.thumb.jpg.fa6b039fb696233ec80c71eec504b185.jpg

Last night's roast beef dinner.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Thanks, using the two outside burners. The grill does not have a back burner. 

I gave my Weber kettle to a neighbor before we moved. We now have a screened in deck with a roof, and I didn't want live coals under it. I may get a Weber in the spring for off-deck usage. 

• Thanks 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Pizza & movie night …

(Sliced) meatballs & mushrooms …

IMG_0691.thumb.jpeg.a9438c122a730a41b64f6fb44ff32b69.jpeg

Got this lot of fresh chanterelles …

IMG_0690.thumb.jpeg.52e6357eea1812d8d50b175a0f76403e.jpeg

… so chanterelle & bacon Flammkuchen 😉

IMG_0693.thumb.jpeg.2074591f0fa11a651159b6ff547ebf23.jpeg

And a bacon, salami and mushroom one for good measure (and tomorrow’s lunch) 

IMG_0694.thumb.jpeg.f11f9ff1176f5c36b5968017feef5194.jpeg

Enjoyed while watching Attack of the Clones. 

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

this was a bit of an experiment

using my 8 x 8 " pyrex pan as the base   I've made TML , many times this  way

successful;y and easily.

I made the potato and egg toping in my 3 qt iPot for the first time

32 oz  ( same weight as the commercial mashed potatoes ive use many times + that amount fits in the pan

cleaned , cut into /2 " pieces or a little less.  fit in the 3 Qt basket for LP steaming 

I was able to nestle 3 eggs from the refrigerator on top of the potatoes , and might be able to fit

a 4th .   then the iPot basket is really full .  iPot'ed 4 min LP  ,  minute pause , then release .

eggs added to cold water , potatoes pulled out and left to cool on their own.

refrigerated both items.

I was thinking of something curry-dish , and used Penzey's Singapore seasonings.

mashed the refrigerated potatoes after getting close to room temp , 

and diced up the three geggs and added that.  a Tb or so of the seasoning , a generous dollop of 

mayo , and green onion tops .  added water to smooth this out .  made a difference w easy of mashing

w and hand masher.  the potatoes sry out a bit w their cooking.

and this was new :

I had a pack of TJ's jallepeno chicken sausages .  I shared them all together i pan , and used those as a baser

topped w the potato mixture  CSO cone. bake .  all items were cooked items, so 30 min 400 F

the pan was sizzling , but i thought id try to brown the top :

IMG_2869.thumb.jpg.db5b845406239583f7e49ab51eaa19bb.jpg

this mixture doesn't brown easily , and I know torching would just burn it.

this picture does not inspire , period .

IMG_2874.thumb.jpg.848d35480cb1f621138766a5cf27b903.jpg

cut

IMG_2877.thumb.jpg.d39a89d527bdf0e1a30d0f8a1d817a36.jpg

in the bowl.  

you can see the potato mixture is a a little crumbly.

it ended up very very tasty :  a potato - egg curry-ish something w green onions  , crumbly not wet

the surprise was the sausage n:  crusty char , but piping hot in the middle and very juicy .

this chicken sausages dry out quickly

O have lots of different curry pastes , dry and wet .  I might even get a few of those This curry pastes in the

little can in the future.  third egg gave the mixture a nice low eyed egg flavor.   4 eggs next time 

for something like this .   and surprising  how juicy the charred sausage turned out.

lots and lots of potential here  , which items readily available , easy to turn out , and 

potentially quite flexible re seasoning combinations .

TJ's used to have a andouille chicken sausage pack .  no longer .  to bad.

P.S.:  I was thinking why these sausages tasted so much better than the same sausages I 

cooked differently :   Id micro the sausage , then torch and have a HotDog.

these were torched cold , out of the frig. , then baked ' covered '   30 min 400 F.

0 times better , much juicier   will try a char cold , then micro for my next Dog.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 14

A second “last hurrah” to summer foods, made a huge batch of ratatouille. The mise nearly made me give up, cutting everything into 1/2” dice took forever (yeah, I’m slow). Had some of it for dinner with baked haddock and rice, the remainder containered up for another dinner and a couple of lunch portions. Looking forward to the leftovers, since it only gets better with reheating.

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Greek influenced dinner - lamb frikadellen (made with ground lamb, sautéed garlic, bread, egg and oregano) with a gravy made from sautéed red onions, anise seeds, ouzo and lamb broth. Served with potatoes (oven roasted with lemon slices and bay leaves) and a salad with tomatoes, green beans and basil.

IMG_8260.thumb.jpeg.4bdd4424dcca37711489011f6f1e2a13.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

15 hours ago, KennethT said:

What is deviled shallot butter?  What is the stuff on top of the tuna - looks kind of like dried shrimp?

It's a recipe from an old fish cookbook called Great Fish, Quick by Leslie Revsin.  Basically, you sauté a lot of shallots in butter until they are very soft, then stir in a mixture of lemon juice, dried mustard powder, hot sauce, and red pepper flakes.  Despite the ingredients, it's not really spicy at all.  The stuff on top of the tuna is the cooked shallots.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

From the supermarket‘s cabinet of curiosities: Ravioli with grilled sausage and homefries stuffing, respectively.

IMG_0742.thumb.jpeg.c972217eead29952947cad3b8458ebb9.jpeg

Served with butter, a pinch of grated hard mountain cheese and fried onions.

IMG_0747.thumb.jpeg.6d2b15f44f5c67c5bfc67f623c100af5.jpeg

Not too bad, especially the sausage stuffed ones …

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Seems kind of weird. Too bad we don't have an emoji for that.

Sounds similar to many types of dough dumplings stuffed with potato + fried onion like pierogi.  The package advert references Oktoberfest so seems like they tried to cover both the sausage and potato bases. Aah marketing ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, heidih said:

Sounds similar to many types of dough dumplings stuffed with potato + fried onion like pierogi.  The package advert references Oktoberfest so seems like they tried to cover both the sausage and potato bases. Aah marketing ;)

True ...

Neither potato stuffed dumplings nor pasta filled with sausage is unusual. Just the combo with that specific reference puts it in a different - or unusual - context (and the packaging suggested serving them mixed with Sauerkraut, which we overturned in favor of rosted onions) ...

• Like 1