• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

9 hours ago, FauxPas said:

The best Calabacitas I ever had was a few years ago at a little place called The Velvet Elvis in Patagonia, Arizona. It was their lunch/dinner special one day and it was a revelation. It's such a humble dish and I almost passed on it, but it was amazing. The veggies were perfect, the sauce was seasoned and flavoured with precision and the rice was perfect. It was one of the best meals I had in a while. So surprising.

Do you make it often? 

I don't make it often, much to Significant Eater's chagrin.  But now that I've got my hand on fresh Hatch chilies ( I bought another bag yesterday)...

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

On-the-spot improvisation led me to a green bell pepper (sorry for those of you averse) a jalapéno and a couple of tins of green chiles.

Don't worry about everyone's food neuroses - you do you!

• Like 5

Tasty Travails - My Blog

蒜苔黄牛肉饭 (suàn tái huáng niú ròu fàn), Spicy stir fried beef with garlic scapes. It also contained wood ear fungus, tomato, ginger and soy sauce. Came with a tofu side and rice. The tofu was like mapo tofu that someone had forgotten to season. Very bland. The beef was good and spicy, although you get a choice of no spice, mildly spicy or hot. I chose hot. ¥23 / $3.15 USD.

beef.thumb.jpg.8510f6e3ec54b7519834d4877112de0b.jpg

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Caprese salad in the front for my sister, husband, and me.  Fresh mozzarella and pepper salad in the back for my niece and nephew to share.  Nephew took some of the cypress too.  Turns out he developed a taste for tomato salad while living in Montana.

salads.thumb.jpg.8f869d8a7d027cf876bcf52beaaf37e7.jpg

Served with fried chicken

chicken.thumb.jpg.2635a03d64768eed9fa119b55bd2a395.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

9 hours ago, OlyveOyl said:

@heidih. Regarding the lemon pesto sauce, the ingredients are many but tasty. I imagine it would be relatively easy to improvise something similar.  I make a purée with preserved citrus that I use in multiple ways. 

IMG_4415.jpeg

IMG_4416.jpeg

Once again so sad that there is no Trader Joes in my part of Canada. There is one about about 1.5 hours away but involves crossing the Canada/US border and being (possibly) restricted to what and how much you can bring back. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Once again so sad that there is no Trader Joes in my part of Canada. There is one about about 1.5 hours away but involves crossing the Canada/US border and being (possibly) restricted to what and how much you can bring back. 

And not every TJ stocks the same products.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I have TJ's about an hour away, but I'm also restricted.

By Ronnie

🤣

He deems it too expensive 🙄

• Haha 9
  • Confused 1

@OlyveOyl – that lemon pesto just went on my TJ’s list! I think it would be fantastic on Brussels sprouts.  Also on @mgaretz‘s artichoke which just happed to post right after your post with the jar of the pesto 😁. 

Yesterday I made some tuna-macaroni salad:

IMG_4130.jpg.c32480f6496b5eeac1a6364df0993c91.jpg

This is usually a staple in our refrigerator during the summer, but with my health issues this hasn’t been a normal summer.  I was glad to finally have some.  Dinner:

IMG_4135.thumb.jpg.9abc79fa87fe75937fca8b5db48d00ed.jpg

Corn, macaroni salad, pickly stuff, tomatoes, and sauteed yellow squash for Mr. Kim.  Also, salad and whomp-biscuit cornbread rolls:

IMG_4132.jpg.7e29fa1a435cf36a3fce45cf4866d93d.jpg

IMG_4134.thumb.jpg.eaa01e46a2137ffea23db0e49546640d.jpg

Night before last Jessica made a fantastic salad dressing – a little sweet, very tangy.  Just threw it together from what we had.  Last night I had her make it again and I took notes!  She’s not a cold pasta salad fan, so she made her own dinner:

IMG_4133.thumb.jpg.cac203a73bdc248907e6276d6bbab83d.jpg

Salmon and snow peas with an Asian-inspired sauce – soy, hoisin, sesame oil, oyster sauce.  SO good.  Both the fish and veg were cooked to the perfect doneness.  She has really developed into a really good cook with great instincts ❤️. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I have TJ's about an hour away, but I'm also restricted.

By Ronnie

🤣

He deems it too expensive 🙄

I would leave my husband for the day to shop at Trader Joes. As much as he loves to eat, his idea of the cost of food is stuck somewhere in the 80's!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I would leave my husband for the day to shop at Trader Joes. As much as he loves to eat, his idea of the cost of food is stuck somewhere in the 80's!

The issue with TJ is not cost in my experiece but the lure of impulse buying - it adds up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Kim ShookI don't really have a recipe for the clam chowder. Basically, I dice up several slices of bacon, brown with dice onion, and make a rue with the fat from the bacon. (I needed more fat so added butter)  Added milk to make the white sauce plus a can of cream of mushroom soup.
Bring all to light boil, added cooked clam meat, diced cooked potato, and corn from a leftover cooked cob. We love a sprinkle of crush chili and lots of fresh dill.

Made Hot and Sour Soup tonight after @Kim Shook mentioned it in a previous post. Hubby likes a dollop of steamed rice with his.
Two photos: One to show the ingredients I used, and the other bowl with more broth. I add Char Siu to the soup. Even tho' it is marinated with sugar, it doesn't add any sweetness to the final product.

HotSour1911.jpg.bcbb3b36aadcf890da65a52e5f5519c7.jpg   

HotSour1916.jpg.639ae91796d366c3522d7f22c071d6ba.jpg                        

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

11 hours ago, heidih said:

The issue with TJ is not cost in my experiece but the lure of impulse buying - it adds up.

Yes, that is definitely a problem there.  TJ's is actually cheaper than many of the other grocery stores around where I live.  Its always really crowded though, and with the stock always changing, it's impossible to go in and shop from a list.  Then you end up buying all these things you did not know you "needed" instead, and still have to go to another grocery store after 🤣

Last night, corn risotto with tomatoes and giant seared scallops.  

scallopandcornrisotto.thumb.jpg.dcf574c90abab240851c9c38b0b4ba40.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

Finally cooled down enough to use the oven. 

RoastBeefdinnerAugust22nd2023.thumb.jpg.51aecf3ef0af58c8d69587745e8ae521.jpg

Roast beef dinner.
Stirling Silver top sirloin roast.
Presalted Sunday.
Roasted on high heat.  
Served with our traditional sides, including Yorkshire Pudding.
This dinner always reminds us of the roast beef dinner at Honest Ed's Warehouse restaurant in Toronto back in the early 70's.
ApplePieAugust22nd2023.thumb.jpg.28a979ef9a91d7c325d1a98834f128c9.jpg
Also baked an apple pie early in the day.
ApplePiewithwhippedcreamAugust22nd2023.thumb.jpg.8944c8e8a0788b6c7f453d8f1d4ebf9d.jpg
Moe and I shared a piece for dessert.  
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 7

Some of last night's dinner:

image.thumb.jpeg.5c157d77eefefcf7b35919986b0957ed.jpeg

Beefsteak + 2 other tomato varieties with some fresh balcony basil (from a friend's balcony, whose plants I take care of when she's not in town), olive oil, salt and pepper.  Salted radishes. Small sweet peppers, roasted, peeled and tossed with olive oil, basil, sherry vinegar and anchovies from Spain.

Penne with zucchini, feta, basil, hot pepper, olive oil.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog