• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

On 7/6/2023 at 1:26 PM, Duvel said:

Thank you both - really no judgement involved ! I buy “one” IKEA hot dog everytime I am there, and I never regret it either 🤗

We always enjoyed the Costco hot dogs and a large fountain drink: $1.50. Their ice-cream cones are double that price!
I always bring back a package of their Kirkland Polish Beef weiners: 15 weiners that I separate into 3s. before freezing. Makes for a great lunch / supper when we wanted a hot dog - on brioche buns.

• Like 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 7/10/2023 at 6:59 AM, liuzhou said:

红烧排骨 (hóng shāo pái gǔ), red-cooked pork ribs

烤鸭 (kǎo yā), roast duck

ribsandduck.thumb.jpg.87f0c0cb24de40f05808b949b65e3955.jpg

The two proteins were served with stir-fried and shredded spicy napa cabbage. Plating looks like it was lobbed from a helicopter, i know. My doing entirely, but I am semi paralysed and I was hungry.

枸杞菜蛋汤 (gǒu qǐ cài dàn tāng)

gojieggsoup.thumb.jpg.37072944ec4f203d262c427d076efa72.jpg

This was delicious. Basically, egg drop soup but with goji tops replacing the more usual seaweed. I'll be pinching that idea if I ever recover enough to cook.

I dealt with this by treating it as another vegetable side dish, digging out the greens. Then finished by drinking the soup. Very Chinese.

米饭 (mǐ fàn)

dinner.thumb.jpg.5a1769963d6e2ef75e91d172988ae80d.jpg

I usually get the Gogi leaves from our "Chinese elders". Love the soup, a memory of my childhood in Hong Kong when my Grampa would take me out for dinner if Gramma was feeling poorly.  When I make it at home, I always add one salted duck egg to the soup.

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

15 minutes ago, Dejah said:

When I make it at home, I always add one salted duck egg to the soup.

I can see that working well. It is a wonderful green vegetable. I'm much less enthused about the berries though, either red or black.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I can see that working well. It is a wonderful green vegetable. I'm much less enthused about the berries though, either red or black.

I have a gogi berry bush in my garden, but I seldom use them. When kids were little, they'd pick and eat them fresh of the bush.
I use the dried ones in herbal soup.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

23 minutes ago, Dejah said:

I usually get the Gogi leaves from our "Chinese elders". Love the soup, a memory of my childhood in Hong Kong when my Grampa would take me out for dinner if Gramma was feeling poorly.  When I make it at home, I always add one salted duck egg to the soup.

I get huge supplies from my garden. You can buy them from Chinese markets, but they are not cheap and they are too old and tough. Not like the ones from the garden. 

Gogi leaves and berries are supposed to be very healthy, medicinal.

dcarch

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Hmmm. Another "superfood" scam. There is no evidence.

"“Placebos are extraordinary drugs. They seem to have some effect on almost every symptom known to mankind, and work in at least a third of patients and sometimes in up to 60 percent." 

The Placebo effect works on me very well. 😆😆😆

dcarch

• Haha 5

@dcarch 

''  Placebos ...s ome effect on almost every symptom "

it would be important to deeply understand the difference

between a symptom , a complaint , and a sign ..

Internet drivel at almost its very best .

now , A.I .   

wait for it :

the same , but exponential .

and I know @dcarch

you personally are aware of the differences.

I was visiting my sister in Canada.

I asked her, "Sister, are you wearing contacts?"

" No, I don't have contacts."

"And you are reading news paper without eyeglasses? What happened to your reading glasses?"

"After I have been eating goji leaves and berries for a while, I discovered that I could read normally without eyeglasses."

Still I don't consider that a proof. I eat goji because I like the taste, and it's free. 🙂

dcarch

• Like 3

Some recent meals:

One-pan Oven Shrimp Boil                                        OnepanOvenshrimpboil1320.jpg.58b463f0f757cdb095d75766ab59b484.jpg

Prosciutto-wrapped Pork Loin Roast with @Shelby's mustard sauce and perogies

PorkLoinRoast1267.jpg.e5b9a35881d1c96ad4783e02b5f43c57.jpg

Stir-fried Nian Goh (rice cakes)

NianGoh1342.jpg.cc622d2f253d0e97a492059a7f290a95.jpg

BBQ Rib steak           

Ribsteak1330.jpg.cb9f6ce9f57e049763272d405568c18d.jpg

Fresh supply of Lake Winnipeg Baby Pickerel with Cavendish fries

Pickerel1373.jpg.16fc617dabe7570a1d109cd8ff8651a8.jpg

Sheet-pan Beans and Chicken with Herb Vinaigrette

Sheet-panbeansandChickenplated1417.jpg.d2c777bae8e1982de19ebcadc0678005.jpg

After seeing Liuzhou's Ants Climbing I wanted Fun See

FunSee1386.jpg.fa5cd41d0b8499ce253b13888640aa59.jpg

Lemon Herb and Butter Steelhead Trout with Lemon flavoured rice

HerbButterSteelheadTrout1413.jpg.caa4e950aafceced939ebc79e3398a0e.jpg

Wonton Soup followed by Saskatoon pie a la mode!

WontonSoup1281.jpg.2766322d0371d4c557bb2186bad90432.jpg             SaskPiealaMode1395.jpg.79b9daef515ef9c324ed0c75baf615d3.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

55 minutes ago, Dejah said:

One-pan Oven Shrimp Boil                                        OnepanOvenshrimpboil1320.jpg.58b463f0f757cdb095d75766ab59b484.jpg

That looks lovely - could you elaborate on the preparation ?

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Sandwich dinner: grilled pork collar, fresh mozzarella, tomato, pickles and caramelized onions on a rye loaf with seeds …

IMG_0082.thumb.jpeg.cbb8b1b00a3e3dc62be0951dc3b33269.jpeg

What did everyone else have?

• Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

That looks lovely - could you elaborate on the preparation ?

For the sheet-pan oven shrimp boil:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

I used baby potatoes, cut into halves, and corn into 2" chunks

3 batches of seasonings: 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons Old Bay, ½ teaspoon coriander, 1 teaspoon dried dill, ½ teaspoon s Kosher salt,and several grinds black pepper

• Mix the potatoes with the olive oil and seasonings (Old Bay seasoning, coriander, dill, salt and pepper). Place on parchment (or reusable liners) lined baking sheets and bake 10 minutes.

• Mix the corn with the olive oil and same seasonings and herbs. Remove the baking sheets from the oven, flip the potatoes and add the corn. Bake for 12 minutes.

• In the same bowl, mix the shrimp with the olive oil and seasonings. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and add the shrimp. Bake for 10 minutes.

• Thanks 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Last night's dinner.  Same day dough made yesterday morning by 9:00 AM  and it was ready to use by 5:00 PM
 I baked two small in the Ooni. Both with the same toppings of Italian sausage and Kalamata olives. 

OoniItaliansausageandkalamataolivesJuly11th20231.thumb.jpg.1b30b01dcda825e0be0fd115560e2b01.jpg

OoniItaliansausageandkalamataolivesJuly11th2023.thumb.jpg.3a7b0d076f3d99eb60a5e3eea24c9dd2.jpg

OoniPizza2ItaliansausageandKalamataOlivesJuly11th2023.thumb.jpg.eed927a247bfca849d658ddfc6566cc9.jpg

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 6

Red_curry_shrimp_202307.thumb.jpg.5fffbc758e3cd7d9cae37badc550ccb9.jpg

Improvised red curry with green beans and shrimp. Lots of strong flavors that balanced out very nicely.

Sear green beans and shrimp separately and then set aside. Blend onion with ginger, garlic, and green and red chilies. Cook down and then add Panang curry paste, lime zest, cayenne, and curry powder that friends brought back from India. Stir in coconut milk and chicken stock, adjust seasonings with fish sauce, brown sugar, and lime juice, and then finish with Thai basil, cilantro, and Chinese chives.

Jasmine rice and eternal cucumbers to go with.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3