• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

A shattered glass sent orignal dinner plans into the garbage. Pasta and tomato sauce from the garden 😵. Family was still in a pasta mood so I tried something i may have heard on here. I made a lasagna with layers of spinach ravioli, Rao's marinara, pepperoni, and cheese. It was not bad and quick. 

• Like 10

Been playing around with an oven roasted salsa - this starting point: 

61914092-B865-43DB-8DB6-B5A23BC19C64.thumb.jpeg.877fa11c5b7fc9dae3eb5a51e1443456.jpeg

has produced a few results based on cook length: 

E020A18E-CBCA-4BDE-8269-C887A0B7BCBE.thumb.jpeg.55c2b8c5715e7cffaaab7568488dda3c.jpeg

8500CB19-BFE5-4710-A207-5B1CB173EA6C.thumb.jpeg.7965e8e8224af37cf1537633bb9e50d4.jpeg

both great; though v diff. 

D6C2AB0B-59F4-4EAE-9D86-EAFE2F34D183.thumb.jpeg.63e98e035e622d2704598c4f06318993.jpeg

C70A9EE6-B48F-4734-BC3F-1A8CD56106D7.thumb.jpeg.79a069c52a8c51fd3c958710635241d5.jpeg

was dinner last night

big eye treated with a bonito infused light soy. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Last Saturday I’d planned to make dinner with the last of the pheasant from my husband’s hunting trip last winter. Then I made a charcuterie board so good we decided that was dinner!  No problem delaying the dinner until Monday except that in a fit of efficiency, I’d already prepped and cut the potatoes to cook. I didn’t want them to go brown in the fridge so decided to try vacuum sealing them. Worked like a charm. Picture is of the potatoes after two days in the fridge. Dinner was Breast of Pheasant with Sour-Cream (sic) sauce from NY Times. We’ve found that braising is usually the best treatment for pheasant, but this was co-authored by Pierre Franey and we had exactly the two skinless, boneless breasts called for so I went for it. It turned out well, I’d make it again.

E4038A92-D1DD-4D8F-93CF-E4ADFE50809F.jpeg

4848F8DF-0475-4323-AC30-6952453D9000.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Picked up and roasted beef rib bones to go along with the scallops from the freezer. Eaten with brown rice pilaf.

BeefBonesScallops.jpg.bb72285a2e5073bc698f95dda9b0f193.jpg

Beef & Shanghai Noodles                                                                ShanghaiNoodles.jpg.bb7be44ed31b48a31d1d6ff0ba37fa04.jpg

Big snowfall yesterday. Good time to play in the kitchen. Tried spring rolls and egg rolls from a new franchise that opened down at the strip mall: Edo Japanese. Nothing to rave about, but something to complain about: The egg rolls and spring rolls were totally inedible! The filling was mushy, chopped too fine, and I'm not sure what the flavour was. One bite and I spit it out! So, I made my own!

eggrollsSrpingrolls.jpg.49cb5f6c208dbebfcdfb38a377a88685.jpg

Had these as early appetizers,  followed by Boston Clam Chowder, with ham bone and a bag of cooked clam meat from the freezer. Chinese cruellers instead of oyster crackers, which are NOT available in Canada.

BostonClamCHowder0225.jpg.264a5be9638856c5d60671ee87072a35.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

19 hours ago, Honkman said:

It looks like the eggs curdled (and the pasta was nearly too cold when mixed) but the “curdled eggs” are actually clumped parmesan. Not sure what happened this time and you didn’t have “hard” pieces of parmesan when eating but it looked not as expected. 

We played around with different crispiness of pancetta over the years, and I know many people like carbonara with quite crispy pancetta (for some texture) but we actually don’t like it too crispy and prefer a very light “chew”

(I can also never understand when people cook bacon that it is really crispy - I don’t like that texture and flavor - it often tastes a bit off)

That happens too.  Other end of the spectrum.

With you on the pancetta cook - I like to crisp the edges and most of the sides, but usually keep a bit of a chew and not nearly incinerate the poor things.

Rarely do we eat bacon these days, save the rare treat for summer garden BLTs!

42 minutes ago, heidih said:

@TicTac Have you done or considered charring the tomato salsa ingredients?  Nice looking fish.

I have in the past for a different salsa - usually in a dry pan - sometimes on the weber.  Often I will char garden hot peppers and just pound it in the mortar with evoo and salt.

Was going for something different with this one.  I used Morita peppers which are smoked and add a great smokey note to it.

Thanks!

Edited by TicTac (log)
  • Like 2

I had some leftover garnishes from a consommé I made earlier in the week. Broke out some instant Prima Taste curry noodles. Took leftover roast chicken and fried it in oil with ginger, curry powder, and cayenne. Put that on the noodles, topped with a leftover sous vide yolk, and rained down the chives.

The food photographer in me should have wiped this bowl, but since I was going to eat it over the sink like a rat, it didn’t seem necessary. There’s a definite splash zone with these noodles. Sink eating is the way. Plan your slurpy spatter patterns wisely! Or put a tarp down, Patrick Bateman style, and throw on some Huey Lewis and The News. Or put on a poncho and go outside. Maybe eat them in a shower stall in a hazmat suit. Reasonably, the sink/apron combo is about the best you can hope for in real life. Because that broth *will* splash. And that broth *will* stain. But you got slurp those noodles. Those noodles are so worth it. Caveat emptor. 🍜 🐀 🚿

A52764BF-D504-4EBC-B0B4-96A1EFF5FA0B.thumb.jpeg.33e3307ffa135ac4ba493b692786d359.jpeg

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 5
  • Haha 4

Seared then roasted 3 duck breasts.Topped with sauce made with shallot, plums, Marsala and chicken broth. Fried some pre-cooked taters in the rendered duck fat. Asparagus was on sale, $1.49 / lb!

DuckBreastwithPlumsauce0231.jpg.21d817af2b072c2a9bc08acbb2d9ebec.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

19 hours ago, billyhill said:

Venison in the style of souvlaki. SV and then seared on grill.

20230219_165224.jpg

Finished product. 25 hours @131.5 was too long and the texture suffered. I am wondering about the role of the lemon peel in that. I avoided lemon juice completely during cooking. Thankfully, with diced  cucumber and crisp romain the texture of the meat wasn't a big issue. Flavor was good.

20230220_124624.jpg

• Like 11

While rummaging through the freezer for inspiration, I came across a small amount of diced pancetta. Found a couple of slices of thick cut bacon from our butcher to add to it and dinner was carbonara. Just eggs, egg yolk, pecorino romano, and pepper along with the meat. Pardon the messy bowl - forgot to take a picture before we started eating. Had a salad of spinach, roasted red pepper and artichoke hearts with a lemon forward vinagrette to cut the richness.

carbonara - 1.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Tonights meal was pork chops from a Tyler Florence recipe which coats them in seasoned flour then uses the same flour to thicken a gravy with chicken stock and buttermilk. The potatoes came after I googled recipes like I learned about from people here discussing this general method. The corn came from the freezer and the bread was from yesterday.

IMG_0706.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

I had a 2005 magnum of really lovely Pinot Noir burning a hole in my wine cellar. So I invited some friends over for dinner. The wine is from an Oregon winery owned by a French family, so a menu of recipes from American Dorie Greenspan’s Around My French Table seemed fitting. I made the chard-stuffed pork loin, but brined the pork, which she doesn’t call for. The pommes dauphinoise were a huge hit and the broccoli did the job. The wine, my last bottle from my favorite Oregon vintage, was delicious. It’s an extra special bottle as it was signed by the winemaker and her three brothers who were all at the winery for a special dinner many years ago.

I didn’t think to take a picture until I’d had a few bites, clearly! 

E5B7A376-8968-40AF-897E-99DB9C80BAEB.thumb.jpeg.22401832b1e2ba35cff81aef1235df74.jpeg 

D6E6DDFC-36D3-4375-ACEC-19E01BE51435.jpeg

47DAB84A-8EED-40C5-AC62-BF19964CEBAC.jpeg

Edited by NadyaDuke (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

A couple of recent meals.  

Pork chop cooked in the NFG with baked potato (microwaved for 5 minutes then cooked alongside the chop) and snap peas:

nfg-pork-chop33.jpg.d9d155a0c1e7c5ae74ac9f0d3050d192.jpg

Prime rib bone, cooked in the oven at 350F for an hour or so then 450F for 15 minutes.  Baked potato, microwaved for 3 minutes then cooked along side the ribs.  Snap peas.

beef-rib.jpg.4c0b2b0cb8a8d70dfe550d22a333ad4e.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

On 2/19/2023 at 11:54 PM, TicTac said:

I have in the past for a different salsa - usually in a dry pan - sometimes on the weber.  Often I will char garden hot peppers and just pound it in the mortar with evoo and salt.

There is a restaurant in the border town of Nogales, Mexico, that does something like this (I'm sure it's common). For the table salsa, the server brings a cart with a selection of both fresh and roasted: Onion, garlic, various chilies, and tomatoes. You can select your ingredients or desired heat level, or let them make their own style,  and after a minute or two in a big stone mortar it's ready. Always delightful.

This place also serves everyone a hot 'shot' of spicy fish broth before the meal, which is also wonderful.

I believe the restaurant might be called San Marcos.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

On 2/20/2023 at 2:31 AM, btbyrd said:

The food photographer in me should have wiped this bowl, but since I was going to eat it over the sink like a rat, it didn’t seem necessary...Those noodles are so worth it. Caveat emptor. 🍜 🐀 🚿

A52764BF-D504-4EBC-B0B4-96A1EFF5FA0B.thumb.jpeg.33e3307ffa135ac4ba493b692786d359.jpeg

They look fantastic!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting