• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Biscuits and gravy a la campanella.

In the south, sausage gravy is basically black pepper bechemel. I saw this pasta shape, which I'm calling campanella after my favorite Liszt riff on Paganini, and thought it would do well with a mushroom cream sauce. Then I thought of adding sausage. The "Italian biscuits and gravy" idea was born. It has nutmeg and white pepper and fennel in the sausage, so it has definite old world flavor. But it has pork sausage and black pepper, so it tastes like home.

The mise was some torn oyster mushrooms, confit onions, sauteed baby bellas, and some cooked mild Italian sausage. I also made a classic béchamel with nutmeg and white pepper, but also black pepper because I hate white pepper. I only bought some recently to see if I still hate it. I do.

5BCCFB02-1B1B-42CE-8E75-EA23A9A9FF8E.thumb.jpeg.57b01b7080b783d084bbe5b7ea9c1e49.jpeg

Tossed the pasta through with the cream sauce, onions, sausage, and mushrooms. Then I topped it with crispy oyster mushrooms and fresno chilis.

F6741FD1-D317-4B1F-BFF1-4946DDB28B1A.thumb.jpeg.037d9e59de27bdda4c0f02749d32d0a6.jpeg

IMG_6526.thumb.jpeg.12f81a5893f4d5c93573531e94efe006.jpeg

As far as southern-Italian fusion goes, this was a hit. I'd put it on a menu. I'd order it again. I'd pay someone money to make it for me. I'd pay someone to do the dishes.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

In the south, sausage gravy is basically black pepper bechemel. I saw this pasta shape, which I'm calling campanella after my favorite Liszt riff on Paganini, and thought it would do well with a mushroom cream sauce. Then I thought of adding sausage. The "Italian biscuits and gravy" idea was born. It has nutmeg and white pepper and fennel in the sausage, so it has definite old world flavor. But it has pork sausage and black pepper, so it tastes like home.

The mise was some torn oyster mushrooms, confit onions, sauteed baby bellas, and some cooked mild Italian sausage. I also made a classic béchamel with nutmeg and white pepper, but also black pepper because I hate white pepper. I only bought some recently to see if I still hate it. I do.

5BCCFB02-1B1B-42CE-8E75-EA23A9A9FF8E.thumb.jpeg.57b01b7080b783d084bbe5b7ea9c1e49.jpeg

Tossed the pasta through with the cream sauce, onions, sausage, and mushrooms. Then I topped it with crispy oyster mushrooms and fresno chilis.

F6741FD1-D317-4B1F-BFF1-4946DDB28B1A.thumb.jpeg.037d9e59de27bdda4c0f02749d32d0a6.jpeg.

As far as southern-Italian fusion goes, this was a hit. I'd put it on a menu. I'd order it again. I'd pay someone money to make it for me. I'd pay someone to do the dishes.

What a great idea - looks fabulous. I will join you in the no white pepper camp. It has always tasted off or weird to me, can't even describe it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Unauthentic Enchilladas for the boys - but at least I didn't use a kit (for once)! 

Chicken, refried beans, capsicum, corn, onion in the stuffing.

How do we serve these without second degree burns? 🤔

20230830_180932.thumb.jpg.c40ddf96b01bde606823a16987186cbe.jpg

That is a whole lotta cheese and sauce. I think you have to treat it like lasagna. Let it cool and set, then use a wide spatula sorta cutting between the rolled tortillas (if you can find them ;)

• Like 4

15 hours ago, btbyrd said:

White pepper just tastes “musty dusty fusty” to me. That’s the best description I’ve come up with.

Sounds to me you are buying stale peppers. Or, please no, pre-ground.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Unauthentic Enchilladas for the boys - but at least I didn't use a kit (for once)! 

Chicken, refried beans, capsicum, corn, onion in the stuffing.

How do we serve these without second degree burns? 🤔

20230830_180932.thumb.jpg.c40ddf96b01bde606823a16987186cbe.jpg

Is your older boy home now?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

20 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Sounds to me you are buying stale peppers. Or, please no, pre-ground.

I recall reading that some people cannot taste pepper.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I was going to make this dinner yesterday (Tuesday) On Monday, I asked Charlie if he would like to go out for lunch on Tuesday. He said he didn't think he'd be able to do it so I forgot about it and started doing dinner later on. Right after I put the Mac and Cheese in the oven around 4:30 he came in and said he could go to dinner with me in about 45 minutes. The mac n cheese went in the fridge and the rest got finished today.  The mac&cheese is an Ina Garten recipe.  I didn't think much of the way it tasted before it went in the oven but we both loved it when it came out.  Charlie said I could skip the tomatoes next time though. 

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

23 hours ago, btbyrd said:

F6741FD1-D317-4B1F-BFF1-4946DDB28B1A.thumb.jpeg.037d9e59de27bdda4c0f02749d32d0a6.jpeg

IMG_6526.thumb.jpeg.12f81a5893f4d5c93573531e94efe006.jpeg

Sounds really good. Love the ceramic plate.

牛肉炒面 (niú ròu chǎo miàn), beef fried noodles (chow mein).

A generous plateful, featuring the beef and noodles but also including Chinese celery, garlic, carrots, cabbage, water spinach, soy sauce and chilli.

noodles.thumb.jpg.1cf8a6b43a622fcfcb4ce0f875d8cf58.jpg

I also got to see the motorcycle courier bringing it on the GPS tracking system, taking a wrong turn and tie himself in amusing knots trying negotiate the one way system around my home. He got here in the end and the food was still hot.

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

15 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I was going to make this dinner yesterday (Tuesday) On Monday, I asked Charlie if he would like to go out for lunch on Tuesday. He said he didn't think he'd be able to do it so I forgot about it and started doing dinner later on. Right after I put the Mac and Cheese in the oven around 4:30 he came in and said he could go to dinner with me in about 45 minutes. The mac n cheese went in the fridge and the rest got finished today.  The mac&cheese is an Ina Garten recipe.  I didn't think much of the way it tasted before it went in the oven but we both loved it when it came out.  Charlie said I could skip the tomatoes next time though. 

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

Looks delicious.  I love tomatoes in macaroni and cheese.

• Like 2

Sometimes it has to be …

Double quarter-pounder with cheese & bacon. Served on a brioche bun with Dijonnaise, pickles, tomato and a touch of hot sauce.

IMG_0614.thumb.jpeg.20970f29a0119ee34b20cb0fb8a39cd1.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4
  • Haha 1