• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

Recent breakfasts. It's been a busy week and breakfast has been the most peaceful part of the day.

Smoked salmon, Boursin, pickled red onion and capers on a toasted WW bagel

Sausage and beans with tomatoes and a toasted WW bagel.

Grilled Halloumi, baby spinach, lettuce, and pickled red onion on a toasted WW bagel.

Egg, spinach, aged cheddar, green onion and Scotch bonnet sauce in WW tortillas.

BoursinandSmokedSalmonBagel.thumb.JPG.fe711328f076cbaaea31f1b7f89247c4.JPGSausagemBeansandWWBagel.thumb.JPG.c4d270ca187b8b4ce594186e267d798d.JPGGrilledHaloumiPickledOnionsandLettuce.thumb.JPG.eff1b53b75e62bb166b0e97407ac9028.JPGEggSpinachAgedCheddarandGreenOnionBurritos.thumb.JPG.cd4a6ee02ee0250a3103f0a7eaf64b84.JPG

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

@Ann_T – I would welcome that roast chicken, stuffing, gravy, and sprouts at any meal, any time of the day!  Maybe my favorite meal ever. 

Bacon on Hawaiian rolls and a very dry mandarin orange:

IMG_5136.JPG.3549280d3fb3ccaab75cb5d77fb0e7c4.JPG

A couple of days ago:

IMG_5162.thumb.JPG.680f601ad9cc56eaa790046310ca7262.JPG

I know this looks like a commercial, but I am just loving that my doctor relaxed my potassium restrictions.  I am seriously a Seinfeld-level cereal lover.  And, yes, that’s sweetener over top of an already sweet cereal.  I can’t think of a single cereal that I don’t sweeten – including things like Frosted Flakes and Lucky Charms.  My mother and I used to joke that if you didn’t put some sugar in, you might taste the <shudder> milk 😁

This morning:

IMG_5178.JPG.16414c962abc08b5ab74eaa85eb8d6fd.JPG

Sausage and egg whomp biscuit. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I know this looks like a commercial, but I am just loving that my doctor relaxed my potassium restrictions.  I am seriously a Seinfeld-level cereal lover.  And, yes, that’s sweetener over top of an already sweet cereal.  I can’t think of a single cereal that I don’t sweeten – including things like Frosted Flakes and Lucky Charms.  My mother and I used to joke that if you didn’t put some sugar in, you might taste the <shudder> milk 😁

https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2011/07/23

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Two recent breakfasts:

Basted steamed eggs with blistered tomatoes and spinach with a toasted WW bagel. This is a quick one pan meal as it's five minutes from opening the fridge to sitting down to eat including making coffee.

Egg, ham, aged cheddar, green onions and spinach on a toasted WW bagel with tomatoes, tangerine and freezer gazpacho.

EggsTomatoandSpinachOne-Pan.thumb.JPG.beda491c262a6fdb0c29adef596ba852.JPGEggHamCheddarSpinachandGreenOniononWWBagelwithGazpacho.thumb.JPG.5ee20a13bd637955be76613b76e92c3e.JPG

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Breakfast with the little one in a not so busy side walk cafe in a small town on the Mediterranean coast. Sunshine, a croissant with white chocolate and a cold beer - what could be better at 10.00h in the morning ..?

IMG_1851.thumb.jpeg.69d6cff41a1ed4627e6f3e11c9f57a4c.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

On 12/22/2023 at 1:42 PM, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T – I would welcome that roast chicken, stuffing, gravy, and sprouts at any meal, any time of the day!  Maybe my favorite meal ever. 

@Kim Shook, Depending on which  day you ask me, a roast chicken dinner is my favourite meal too.  On another day though it might be lamb shanks or oxtails.

• Haha 1

Second breakfast:

7EBDD64D-A13A-4EF2-8682-DF81C4E9ABC9_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.94a9ff06045e2e52282a1e085f997171.jpeg

Honeyed sausages with Blackberry and Caraway Slaw from Diana Henry's book, Simple, crusty whole grain sourdough and bubbles. 

I made the slaw for last night's Christmas Even dinner.  Freshly tossed with the dressing it's a perky salad and more slaw-ish after sitting.  

Good both ways. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

I like your style, @blue_dolphin! I also like that mug. I have one or a few, packed away at home. It's nice to see it, vicariously.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

12 minutes ago, lindag said:

Being the practical, no-nonsense girl that I am I use these mugs (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).

They're lovely, but i must say that at home "practical, no-nonsense" would exclude "hand-wash only" dishes from our everyday use. 😉

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

As I mentioned, we pretended that yesterday was Christmas as our RN daughter is working today and tomorrow. We had the usual; monkey bread, cream cheese, lox and bagels and a no/low-carb egg, sausage, cheese, peppers and onions casserole mainly for my soon-to-be son-in-law who is diabetic and avoids carbs as much as possible. He did enjoy a few bites of the monkey bread. A hot chocolate/coffee bar with several liquers, then set out the fixings for mimosas and/or caesars. It was more of a brunch I suppose as no one even mentioned lunch. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, lindag said:

I didn't know these are hand-wash only.  I routinely put mine in the d/w and they seem fine.  Isn't borosilicate very strong?

The writeup says there's a small hole drilled in the base so that air can get in and out of the insulating layer as needed, to avoid fracturing. My guess is that it's possible to get water into that insulating layer, but I doubt that would cause any breakage. If you've been putting it in the dishwasher with no problems, then I'd say you don't need to worry!

• Like 1

Second day of Christmas...first breakfast:

5F4EF0ED-0A1C-4607-813D-FBF4D60E38A0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.81bc9aafc215a1822b96864237ecded3.jpeg

19 hours ago, Smithy said:

I also like that mug. I have one or a few, packed away at home. It's nice to see it, vicariously.

I love them, too! I have two of those Waechtersbach red tree mugs and two of the green ones with candy canes and love getting them out every year! There's a cute cat design for Christmas that I've been tempted to spring for but it's rare to find usable mugs in any of their Christmas designs at a reasonable price as they do chip easily.  For example, I'd pay this price on eBay, but they're marked for display only due to cracks, etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Second day of Christmas...first breakfast:

5F4EF0ED-0A1C-4607-813D-FBF4D60E38A0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.81bc9aafc215a1822b96864237ecded3.jpeg

I love them, too! I have two of those Waechtersbach red tree mugs and two of the green ones with candy canes and love getting them out every year! There's a cute cat design for Christmas that I've been tempted to spring for but it's rare to find usable mugs in any of their Christmas designs at a reasonable price as they do chip easily.  For example, I'd pay this price on eBay, but they're marked for display only due to cracks, etc. 

Those cat mugs are adorable! Too bad about the chipping.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 3:25 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Third breakfast:

8C8490A0-A9E0-4F7A-97C5-79DE7B7F6EB6_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8e9b294ce29cf510a20083cb33887f4a.jpeg

Eggnog (per Jeffery Morganthaler), @JAZ's spicy sweet nuts made with pecans and more coffee.

Shouldn't that be Elevenses? 😇

Edited to add: maybe only for Hobbits.

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Haha 3

A few recent breakfasts. My strategy to to make it through, and enjoy, all the holiday dinners is to eat a large breakfast and fast until the next dinner (wouldn't want to offend my hosts by just picking at their food). Number four of five this evening.

Eggs over a potato, red and Habanero pepper, onion, ham and spinach hash. Freezer gazpacho to accompany.

Western sandwich (egg, red pepper, onion and ham) with aged cheddar and spinach on a toasted soft roll. Freezer gazpacho on the side.

EggsoverPotatoRedPepperOnionandHamHash.thumb.JPG.c9ea1f6d1f6f1b1ce8c6a004f1b69c69.JPGWesternwithAgedCheddarandSpinach.thumb.JPG.d0912e4676886941db8b80c5e6e42b63.JPG

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

On 12/25/2023 at 11:25 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Third breakfast:

8C8490A0-A9E0-4F7A-97C5-79DE7B7F6EB6_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8e9b294ce29cf510a20083cb33887f4a.jpeg

Eggnog (per Jeffery Morganthaler), @JAZ's spicy sweet nuts made with pecans and more coffee.

Is that eggnog as blue as it looks? And what's that iceberg floating in it? Methinks it need a teeny tiny replica of the Titanic floated at the top. Then you can call the drink "The Last Eggnog." 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Is that eggnog as blue as it looks?

The eggnog is not blue.  Apparently I need better lighting in there by the fireplace.  

And what's that iceberg floating in it?

Since I was sipping the nog slowly, I placed 2 ice cubes into the glass to keep it cool and you can see one bobbing on top.  

Methinks it need a teeny tiny replica of the Titanic floated at the top. Then you can call the drink "The Last Eggnog." 

I'll consider this creative advice and see what I can do though it sounds like a potential choking hazard!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)