• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

27 minutes ago, Captain said:

Had something similar this morning. But Curried egg I made yesterday on toast.

I'm worried It's going to weaponize my farts..

In my experience with many males it is the accompanying beer that weaponizes the digesting egg. So no booze - your're good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2023 at 7:29 AM, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

First fresh bolete (foraged yesterday) made into an omelet filling with chard, green onion and feta.

Nice job on the omelet there.

On 9/13/2023 at 2:08 PM, Ann_T said:

Open faced omelette with sautéed cherry tomatoes and zucchini,

Interesting job on the omelette there.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 9/13/2023 at 8:08 PM, Ann_T said:

Moe's Breakfast.

OmelettewithsautedcherrytomatoeszucchinibasilgarlicSeptember13th2023.thumb.jpg.48d92c1c5907a91338b8b220b8df6ab0.jpg

Open faced omelette with sautéed cherry tomatoes and zucchini, seasoned with garlic and basil.

I think Moe eats better for breakfast than many of us eat for any meal...

• Like 5

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Early breakfast this morning and pretty carb heavy as today is prep for a possible bad weather weekend.

Waffles and breakfast sausages with blueberries and maple syrup and coffee.

WafflesSausageBlueberries.thumb.JPG.daae1cb9440bc446c36d521d069af337.JPG

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Inspired by this article in the LA Times, describing the Croque Matthieu from Pasjoli restaurant in Santa Monica. This description lured me in:

During a recent visit, my party fell silent as we each bit into a square of the sandwich. The bread, annealed and shiny, was all crunch and butter. Then there was crispy Gruyère cheese, like a nutty, sharp cracker cemented to the inside of the sandwich. It shattered into a puddle of rich, creamy Mornay sauce that melted into sweet caramelized onions and shaved Bayonne ham.

The decadence of French onion soup, the simplicity of a good jambon beurre and the thrill of a gooey grilled cheese were all present, crammed into this four-bite sandwich. Its unabashed decadence something to marvel.

Since the article also provides a bit more info on how it's constructed, I had to give it a try.  Sorry for the bad photo. 

CF46D8E1-D5C4-4E31-B665-D71BC37358A7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cf14c79aa042f54c1874ecc9f4f4acdb.jpeg

But not disappointed with the result!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

My breakfast was ordered at 7 am and arrived at my door at 7:20. I was a bit confused at first as they have changed the packaging (and I hadn't had my wake-up coffee yet.

Now they come in these cute panda boxes. Believe me oh you doubters. Pandas are not cute! They stink and are aggressive, as I would be if I only ate their preferred diet.

_20230917082829.thumb.jpg.8a6d9b9cf3125647b3840d1aeaf00056.jpg

The pork baozi (肉包 - ròu bāo) within are neither aggressive nor do they stink.

_20230917082907.thumb.jpg.372767ffb9994e10a6d35aa18b0cf47b.jpg

With a little pot of chilli sauce to wake them (me) up. Bought 6; Ate 2. The remainder are in the freezer. ¥5.80 ($0.80 USD) each.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

My breakfast was ordered at 7 am and arrived at my door at 7:20. I was a bit confused at first as they have changed the packaging (and I hadn't had my wake-up coffee yet.

Now they come in these cute panda boxes. Believe me oh you doubters. Pandas are not cute! They stink and are aggressive, as I would be if I only ate their preferred diet.

_20230917082829.thumb.jpg.8a6d9b9cf3125647b3840d1aeaf00056.jpg

The pork baozo (肉包 - ròu bāo) within are neither aggressive nor do they stink.

_20230917082907.thumb.jpg.372767ffb9994e10a6d35aa18b0cf47b.jpg

With a little pot of chilli saice to wake them (me) up. Bought 6; Ate 2. The remainder are in the freezer. ¥5.80 ($0.80 USD) each.

Beautiully pleated. 

Many leases on the Giant Pandas here are expiring soon - returning to China)