• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

On 6/12/2023 at 8:51 AM, Kim Shook said:

A beautiful croissant from our trip up north:

1-IMG_3744.jpg.ffb66eee64db7cad79e36e90b08a78b4.jpg

It was delicious:

1-IMG_3745.jpg.67d4511139c1802e49f03b98c577d238.jpg

Looks like croissant perfection!  I still remember the wise pronouncement from the 6-year old daughter of my long-time French boss, "It's good if it leaves a lot of crumbs on the plate!"

Renee Erickson's Getaway includes a recipe for Dates and Manchego where the dates are sautéed in olive oil to lightly caramelize the exterior and served with crumbled Manchego, a drizzle of olive oil and crunchy sea salt.  We are instructed to serve with toothpicks. 

F6CC7368-7223-468C-810F-6E55F2966216_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.27e3d6a032feffe067e256a9b20285b7.jpeg

The contrast between the chewy/crisp, caramelized exterior and soft interior of the dates is lovely and I enjoyed eating this.  But these are big, multiple bite dates and it's a good thing no one was watching.   

If I were to serve it to others, I'd either seek out smaller, bite-sized dates or maybe pit and quarter the dates after sautéing then skewer each piece on a toothpick with a chunk of cheese. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

I was listening to a podcast the other day and Eric Kim mentioned this weird toast so of course, I had to try it.  

He described it as toasted milk bread, spread with peanut butter, sprinkled with flaky sea salt, drizzled with honey and then sprinkled generously with nutritional yeast. 

091692FE-EDD4-472B-B5FA-2B262990F900_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.27f6355f6f18a45fe58d53467c70bc3e.jpeg

The jury is out. I think it needed more honey. If you make this, be careful not to exhale while taking a bite or you will send a shower of nutritional yeast all over yourself and the room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

this weird toast

As someone who salivates just knowing you have posted in this thread and further one who absorbs at least half of her daily nutritional intake from photographs of your breakfasts, can I please request you stop listening to podcasts? 😂😂😂

• Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Really it's only the nutritional yeast that's a new wrinkle. My mom never made me a BPHNY sandwich to take to school. Peanut butter, often salted, and honey on white bread isn't exactly revolutionary. And besides that, people who enjoy nutritional yeast tend to put in on all kinds of stuff that we have all been eating for years without it. I mean how do you create a new recipe using nutritional yeast? Don;t answer that!     

I've been reading the NYT and getting their emails for a zillion years and more and more I get tripped up by recycled recipes. Like, oh wait, I already decided I didn't want to make that last week and last year. Okay, so there are a new crop of readers every day, which is all to the good, so I get it. But another thing they are guilty of--and Eric Kim and Melissa Clark are big offenders--is reinventing the wheel. How many combinations of broccoli and cheddar are there really? Thousands? Here's one that will turn your dinner into a fireworks show and your kids into broccoli lovers! 

I know I sound cranky! And god knows I have plenty of NYT recipes in my files. And I admit I have never ingested nutritional yeast willingly, so the possibility that I am missing out on something fantastic is real.  I can live with that. I will say this, @blue_dolphin , I so agree with @Anna Nthat your breakfast salads are amazing. And your popsicles are in a class by themselves. Where do you get your energy? Nutritional yeast?

• Haha 4

Yesterday's breakfast: Herbed eggs, blood sausage, pepper jack and red and green lettuces on toasted ciabatta with blueberries.

Today's: Barley, black bean, collard and vegetable soup with strawberries and yogurt.

HerbedEggsBloodSausagePeppeerJackandLettuse.thumb.JPG.fb299f2eb477621c2799a55898dd9ccc.JPGB_BB.K.andVegSoup.thumb.JPG.f7e0447980bebc5061c612b1e96b5c4d.JPG

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

10 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Where do you get your energy? Nutritional yeast?

I think nutritional yeast is more related to good skin condition than overall energy. It does, however, comes with a few side effects, e.g. sometimes turns your hair into unusual colors and promotes affinity to frozen foods …

• Haha 5

One of Moe's favourite breakfasts is leftover roast beef with gravy and scrambled eggs.
Leftover steak from last night's dinner worked just as well.
SteakandEggsJune17th2023.thumb.jpg.7c4b15aa0be4ff2a06bc81f10a5ae9b5.jpg
Also baked eight small baguettes from dough that had been in the fridge since Tuesday.
Taken out last night at 8:30 and left on the counter until 4:00 AM this morning.
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

I think nutritional yeast is more related to good skin condition than overall energy. It does, however, comes with a few side effects, e.g. sometimes turns your hair into unusual colors and promotes affinity to frozen foods …

Who doesn't want nice skin and pink hair? Markers of youth! But does it create an urge to eat frozen food when it is still frozen, straight out of the freezer?

• Haha 1

Just now, Katie Meadow said:

Who doesn't want nice skin and pink hair? Markers of youth! But does it create an urge to eat frozen food when it is still frozen, straight out of the freezer?

Yeap - even worse: not only the urge to eat, but the urge to think of, prepare and finally ace the preparation of … it’s rough 😱

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Yeap - even worse: not only the urge to eat, but the urge to think of, prepare and finally ace the preparation of … it’s rough 😱

So the nutritional yeast creates an insatiable desire for a frozen mett hedgehog? You had me at pink hair.

• Haha 1

After what seems like months of gloom, the sun is out this morning!  Still only 62°F in the house so I'm wearing a fleece jacket but in celebration of the sunshine, I had an apricot and orange blossom popsicle for breakfast.  Now for some coffee to warm up!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

After what seems like months of gloom, the sun is out this morning!  Still only 62°F in the house so I'm wearing a fleece jacket but in celebration of the sunshine, I had an apricot and orange blossom popsicle for breakfast.  Now for some coffee to warm up!

Wierd huh!  Niece just arrived from Sydney into first day of morning sun.

I never post my breakfast. I run in cycles. Current is thin tasty flour tortilla crisped in a dry skillet with 2 broken eggs cooked on top, Sriracha and a big handful of cherry tomatoes.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yes, while Canada is on fire it's unseasonably chilly in the Bay Area as well, but a ripe apricot and a popsicle sounds more like a breakfast of champions to me than a raw hedgehog that isn't even a hedgehog. Enough lolling around in bed eGulleting. I'm getting up now to find some toast to butter. I'm in luck today since my husband baked two rustic sourdough loaves yesterday. Home-baked bread and home made marmalade, without a grain of nutritional yeast in sight. But wonder of wonders, I do have a strong desire to put some pink streaks in my silver hair. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/15/2023 at 8:58 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Renee Erickson's Getaway includes a recipe for Dates and Manchego where the dates are sautéed in olive oil to lightly caramelize the exterior and served with crumbled Manchego, a drizzle of olive oil and crunchy sea salt.  We are instructed to serve with toothpicks. 

Both Moe and I love dates.  Definitely going to make this. Just showed it to Moe and he feels the same way.

TomatoCheddarandChiveOmeletteJune18th2023.thumb.jpg.e8a621c4fc30a564f8e00fd3e8866763.jpg

Made Moe a tomato cheddar chive omelette for breakfast. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Biscuits and berries, a mega biscuit that I  split with DH .  A swipe  of butter, strawberry jam, sour cream and berries. Nearing the end of Farmers Mkt. berries in my neck of the woods, this was a delicious use for them and needs a repeat.

IMG_3909.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, OlyveOyl said:

Biscuits and berries, a mega biscuit that I  split with DH .  A swipe  of butter, strawberry jam, sour cream and berries. Nearing the end of Farmers Mkt. berries in my neck of the woods, this was a delicious use for them and needs a repeat.

IMG_3909.jpeg

Ours are just coming, and I'll probably hit a U-Pick at some point in the next little while.

In my neck of the woods, a biscuit is considered the correct base for "real" strawberry shortcake. Ordinarily it's plain ol' whipped cream rather than sour cream, but I like how you roll. :)

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

IMG_3074.thumb.jpeg.75de3fd92028aa99f00fc89b443da4c4.jpeg

Fried pancetta with egg on toast. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@chromedome I often use sour cream in lieu of whipped cream as we like the slight tang it provides which frequently offsets the sweetness of desserts.  I don’t add any sugar to mine but some might  prefer it lightly sweetened.

Edited by OlyveOyl
Correction (log)

On 6/17/2023 at 7:39 AM, Ann_T said:
One of Moe's favourite breakfasts is leftover roast beef with gravy and scrambled eggs.
Leftover steak from last night's dinner worked just as well.
SteakandEggsJune17th2023.thumb.jpg.7c4b15aa0be4ff2a06bc81f10a5ae9b5.jpg
Also baked eight small baguettes from dough that had been in the fridge since Tuesday.
Taken out last night at 8:30 and left on the counter until 4:00 AM this morning.

My kind of breakfast!

Oatmeal pancakes and strawberries for a filling breakfast.  I made these a little thinner this morning by using all milk rather than half yogurt. A little strawberry jam found it’s way in between the pancakes. The plate was warmed in the micro with the maple syrup which kept the pancakes warm while enjoying them.

IMG_3917.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2