Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two-jacket Potatoes


atg
 Share

Recommended Posts

Forgive me if this is absurdly obvious, but is there a method to easily separate potato from it's skin without ripping the skin. I tried blanching but was unable to get the skin off in one piece. In the end I used dental scraping tools with some success, but the process was fairly laborious.

Aidan G | Home cook

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, atg said:

Forgive me if this is absurdly obvious, but is there a method to easily separate potato from it's skin without ripping the skin. I tried blanching but was unable to get the skin off in one piece. In the end I used dental scraping tools with some success, but the process was fairly laborious.

 

Do you mean the entire peeling intact, or in two halves? I've no idea how it could be done with an entire skin; maybe someone else here does.

 

I've seen videos that claim you can pull the peel off in intact halves by cutting the potato (skin only) around the waist, so to speak, then dropping in boiling water. Here's a video that shows the technique. I haven't tried it, but maybe this will help you.

 

 

  • Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, atg said:

Forgive me if this is absurdly obvious, but is there a method to easily separate potato from it's skin without ripping the skin. I tried blanching but was unable to get the skin off in one piece. In the end I used dental scraping tools with some success, but the process was fairly laborious.

What are you trying to accompllsh? Raw ptato without skin? Ummm - potato peeler would be the standard method. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wonderful video

 

but  

 

why peel in the first place ?

 

lots and lots and lots of flavor in this peels.

 

they will fit in with whatever you choose to make

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we'll have to allow @atg to elaborate on the purpose. Since the original question was how to get the skin off the potato without ripping the skin, I assumed the skin was the desired part. Stuffed skins? Fried potato skins like one gets in the snack aisle at the grocery store? (I confess, I can't image how dental implements would have accomplished it.)

  • Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a feeling different potatoes work differently for that technique, and the choice of potato may be somewhat important?

 

14 hours ago, Smithy said:

Stuffed skins?

 

Aren't these usually made by hollowing out a potato after it has been cooked?

 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you trying to preserve the skin and make something like a twice-baked potato? I always cut I half and scoop out, leaving between a quarter and a half-inch of flesh in the skin to retain its shape.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/18/2022 at 2:55 PM, Smithy said:

I think we'll have to allow @atg to elaborate on the purpose. Since the original question was how to get the skin off the potato without ripping the skin, I assumed the skin was the desired part. Stuffed skins? Fried potato skins like one gets in the snack aisle at the grocery store? (I confess, I can't image how dental implements would have accomplished it.)

I've been trying to replicate two-jacket potatos from the 2014 Chicogo Steakhouse menu at Grant Achatz and Nick Kokonas' Next restaurant in Chicago. Two intact halfs is the goal.

 

Regarding the dental impliments, I scooped out the majority of the potato flesh and then used the dental tools to scrape off any remaining flesh so that only the skin remained.

 

I did try the scoring and blanching as seen in the video but had issues with the skin tearing. Perhaps I just lack a bit of finesse and need some practice.

Screenshot_20220219-214348_Fennec.png.jpg

 

Image from https://www.nextrestaurant.com/cuisine

  • Like 1
  • Delicious 2
  • Confused 1

Aidan G | Home cook

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, atg said:

I've been trying to replicate two-jacket potatos from the 2014 Chicogo Steakhouse menu at Grant Achatz and Nick Kokonas' Next restaurant in Chicago. Two intact halfs is the goal.

 

Regarding the dental impliments, I scooped out the majority of the potato flesh and then used the dental tools to scrape off any remaining flesh so that only the skin remained.

 

I did try the scoring and blanching as seen in the video but had issues with the skin tearing. Perhaps I just lack a bit of finesse and need some practice.

Screenshot_20220219-214348_Fennec.png.jpg

 

Image from https://www.nextrestaurant.com/cuisine

Those look interesting.  I love super crisp potato skin.  And that website is amazing.  Looks like a great place for folks who like to play with and have fun with food!  Thanks for sharing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...