• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep Fryer for two people

AlaMoi

4 minutes ago, Anchobrie said:

I've been looking for some time something like that.

Thanks for enabling!!

4 minutes ago, Anchobrie said:

I've been looking for some time something like that.

Thanks for enabling!!

Thanks.  I somehow overlooked @blue_dolphin's original enablement.  I now have the pot in my Amazon saved for later list.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 2:32 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I use this tall 4 quart pot (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) with about 1 - 1.5 quarts of oil that I filter and reuse. The shape gives a decent depth of oil and contains spatter. I use it either with the temp control on my Paragon induction burner or with a regular temp probe on my gas cooktop. The Paragon probe works nicely to maintain temp but is too bulky to accommodate the basket so I choose depending on what I’m cooking. 

Said pot is currently 10% off on amazon.  Lowest price in the last year.  I caved.

@blue_dolphin have you tried using the Paragon mat with this pot for temperature control?

• Like 1

Trying to put a PID controller in the loop by using a smart induction burner and a probe (or other thermometer) probably won't deliver great results. As soon as food hits the oil, the temp is going to drop hard and unless you're frying something really thick like pieces of chicken, your food probably won't be in there long enough for the heater to fully recover the difference. I usually fry in a dutch oven on a nice 1800W induction burner (Vollrath Mirage Pro) and even with the power cranked to 100, the oil temp never gets back up to its starting temp during the fry process. I sometimes start with hotter oil to compensate (like starting around 415F for the final fry where my target frying temp is around 375F, and even then I have to jack the power to 100% to make sure the oil temp doesn't drop too low. This is frying in reasonably sized batches.

My preferred method is to use a wok over a high powered wok burner, but that's an "outside only" situation. If you're lucky enough to have a high output gas burner indoors (like on a Blue Star or whatever) frying in a wok might be the best way to fry at home. At least if you have good extraction.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

My preferred method is to use a wok over a high powered wok burner, but that's an "outside only" situation. If you're lucky enough to have a high output gas burner indoors (like on a Blue Star or whatever) frying in a wok might be the best way to fry at home. At least if you have good extraction.

I have a blue star (for another 3-4 weeks) and a wok.  Still have to be rather careful on batch size and over shooting either way.  Moving to a wolf induction which in testing with other things responded significantly faster than the blue star.  Going to miss the gas, but not the heat and splatter that comes with it.

54 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Going to miss the gas, but not the heat and splatter that comes with it.

Silly question, but doesn’t the splatter come from the food being cooked, and not from the appliance being used?

And y’all know Martha fries her chicken in a covered pan, right?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@blue_dolphin have you tried using the Paragon mat with this pot for temperature control?

No, I've only used the temp probe as I figured it would be more responsive than the mat. Works fine. Since I'm always standing right there, I often just use a Thermoworks probe that takes  up less space. 

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

No, I've only used the temp probe as I figured it would be more responsive than the mat. Works fine. Since I'm always standing right there, I often just use a Thermoworks probe that takes  up less space. 

Same here, actually.

Today on a whim I ordered one of these... 

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

Silly question, but doesn’t the splatter come from the food being cooked, and not from the appliance being used?

Splatter yes, but it doesn't have a lot of energy to go far without the convective boost of the super hot air rising.  That and add the fact you bake it on to everything since you heat it up and I am done with all the extra cleaning effort.  The difference is astounding.

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

That picture shows a volume of fries greater than the oil volume. Cavaet emptor

Unlike some eGullet members I enjoy more than six fries at one meal.  But not many more.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

That picture shows a volume of fries greater than the oil volume. Cavaet emptor

You know that things expand, when they get hot, right ? Think popcorn …

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

You know that things expand, when they get hot, right ? Think popcorn …

Not only that, but you have displacement as well as the vapor bubbles coming from the food to displace even more oil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Not only that, but you have displacement as well as the vapor bubbles coming from the food to displace even more oil.

It‘s practically an airfryer 😉

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1