• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep Fryer for two people

AlaMoi

empty nesters - no, not deep frying people, [[gotcha']]

the irregular prep of butterflied shrimp (12-14 pcs of 16-18 count) which I do in 3-4 batches)

the odd chicken thigh(s) - DW does not do dark meat - "it's all for me!!"

I would very much like to do (home sliced/battered) onion rings -

potentially some deep fried potato "slices" (i.e. not "fries)

pork tenderloin 'schnitzel' - maybe - currently pan frying . . .

my problem is the size of the deep fryers - using 2 qts/liters +/- per batch goes against my grain. 

we don't deep fry on any regular basis, so I don't "save" the oil.

I have an 'avocado' electric plug in - it works - very wasteful . . .

often I do a small sauce pan (on gas) and thermometer - which works . . . temp control is an acquired skill . . .

but less than rigorously 'repeatable' - often results in over/under done . . .

any experience with the small deep fryers?  brand / model?

some list +/- 1 qt/lt volume - which I would look to use half as much oil (bad idea?)

or , , , how about an induction 'temp controlled' plate with pot-o-oil?

10 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

temp control is an acquired skill

I think that reducing the amount of oil is the culprit here. Even if you want to fry smaller batches, a litre of oil is just not enough to maintain a stable frying environment. You can use all the gadgets out there, e.g. PIDs on electric or induction plates, but they won’t compensate for the temperature drop and the following temperature overshoot of a small thermal mass system, regardless how “smart” they are. And given the small size you a looking for, probably most models are on the cheap end of the scale and won’t offer much in terms of heating capacity and temperature logic.

So, even if you don’t want to hear it: a larger vessel with a decent amount of non-spoiling fat (preferably solid at RT) and a strainer might be a better option for you …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Duvel 

what does '  preferably solid at RT '  mean ?

@AlaMoi 

I think Duvel is correct in terms of volume of oil and temp drops

w adding room temp items to fry.   

you would have to rig a system of your own , as no doubt you have already tried 

and count on a thick walled container to cover the temp drop 

and try small batches each time.

@rotuts Seeing as it will be a few hours before folks in Germany have risen, I'll take a stab at RT and guess that it means "room temperature."

@TdeV Again a guess, but "non-spoiling" might refer to the speed at which a fat goes rancid. Especially, since you've specified a medium that's solid at room temperature, the number of choices left is considerably reduced.

Although I agree with @Duvel about the benefits of a large thermal mass in general, I also think that this advantage is somewhat offset by applying more energy to a smaller container. In other words, yes, a smaller quantity of fat will drop in temperature more quickly, the smaller mass will recover more quickly. That's the only explanation I have for the unexpected satisfaction I got from my parents' FryDaddy (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). No need to fuss with temperature control; as I recall, it only had one temperature, called "plugged in." Unless you're one of those "two or three trips through the cooker or they're not real fries" peeps, you don't need more than one temperature. For two servings of potatoes or shrimp, it was perfectly adequate. It was also pretty convenient: let it cool, put the top on, and stow it for next time. Yeah, you can filter the oil between uses, but I found that if you're frying potatoes, the oil doesn't get that dirty. You can go three or fours uses before you have to deal with it, unless you fry messy stuff with batters, breading or egregious aromas. Even if you insist on filtering the fat, at least you're only dealing with four cups' worth.

As always, YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

58 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

That's the only explanation I have for the unexpected satisfaction I got from my parents' FryDaddy (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). No need to fuss with temperature control; as I recall, it only had one temperature, called "plugged in." Unless you're one of those "two or three trips through the cooker or they're not real fries" peeps, you don't need more than one temperature. For two servings of potatoes or shrimp, it was perfectly adequate. It was also pretty convenient: let it cool, put the top on, and stow it for next time. Yeah, you can filter the oil between uses, but I found that if you're frying potatoes, the oil doesn't get that dirty. You can go three or fours uses before you have to deal with it, unless you fry messy stuff with batters, breading or egregious aromas. Even if you insist on filtering the fat, at least you're only dealing with four cups' worth.

I  had neighbors who used that years ago at parties. Easy and compact. They did items like taquitos and hot wings.

Ah, the volume of oil conundrum...  Dave the Cook is correct that the trade-off isn't all bad--a small volume comes up pretty fast.

I reach for a generic Fry Baby when I want to do a small batch of something for two.  It works acceptably well for most things that will fit in the small basket--a few lumpia or a couple Scotch Eggs.  IMO, it helps to preheat longer than it takes to get to the bubble point.  

I filter the oil, and I actually prefer my oil a bit saponified.  The small volume works for me adding a skosh when I need it, and it lasts awhile without much waste.  Also, maybe Elon can afford 5 gallons of duck fat, but when I want a treat, a pint of duck in the Baby does wonders.

If I'm cooking for a crowd (or my cardiologist), I use an 8Q pressure cooker that is approved for pressure frying, i.e., broasting.  The method conserves oil--volume is less than what you'd use in an open pot.  And I like the results better. 

I just use my wok.  Instant I am done it goes in the garage while we eat and then gets poured through a small strainer that fits into a canning funnel right into a ball jar.  Goes on the shelf until next time.  Obviously a thermostatic device of some sort would get more uses out of the oil, but this is better than tossing the oil each time and is really easy to deal with.  Same mechanism could be of course done with a fryer.  Going up to a cabin for a few days this week to go fishing and a fry daddy is coming along...

• Like 2

My Fissler pressure pan has a deep frying basket.  For precise temperature control while frying I rely on my beloved Paragon induction unit*.  Though I confess since my heath failed I've been mostly making do with air frying frozen French fries in my anova oven.  Thank you.  I may make some fries tonight.

*of which I have two spares living in my living room.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

This is all u need to fry!!  Three different enamel pots and an IR gun!!

53240781844_71dc91b896_c.jpg

53240784939_11cc880310_b.jpg

Exactly.

I use one of these or more likely a cast iron skillet tuned to the size of the food.

You do have to keep your eye on it so it doesn't get too hot.

I've tried so many fryers over the years and found a reason to give each of them up

Fryers actually impeded my frying.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Paul Bacino 

what's that black object in your last pic ?

in the past ,  FryBaby , FryDaddy and now FryGramps

never got hot enough , and dint hold the temp.

they might be better these days

but $ 34.95 doesn't get you much quality these days

even for China.

I gave up frying some time ago

and go out for it  , at a quality place.

I know the doesn't answer the topic question

but solves the frying dilemma.7

at least for me.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I have the FryGrandPappy that I got many hears ago.  It's fine for small batches although unless it's been updated since I got mine, it does not have a temperature control.  However, it's worked just fine for my uses.  It's relatively small so it doesn't require a huge amount of oil and it's easy  to store.

apparently the FryBaby is no longer made.  there a few small volume models on the market.

my experience with the pot&thermometer routine indicts minimum temp drop doing 4-5 shrimp at a time.

and, on gas, recovery is right quick....

still it's a bit tricky to get it 'just so' - hence the theory of using a "thermostat controlled" pot.

I agree, a one liter max capacity pot using 1/2 the oil volume, should also recovery quickly . . .

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

The problem with small electric units is that  the benefit of a thermostat is outweighed by the weak heater. 

Correct … as much as people like to argue, thermodynamics prevail 😎

IMG_1042.thumb.png.0df00fa8eec72eae684c3932e74d652e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

agree, a one liter max capacity pot using 1/2 the oil volume, should also recovery quickly . . .

Yeap … and then it overshoots the target temperature. Been there, done that. Not an ideal frying environment …

Edited: like @Dave the Cook already said - YMMV, and it depends on what you want to fry. Precooked potato fries - idiotproof. No issue whether you fry at 165 oC or 180 oC, they will turn out ok. And aerated bechamel mass coated in a shell of breadcrumbs - better keep that temperature steady. Tempura - 170 oC or bust. @Paul Bacinos cast iron pot (that I always use, and so took for granted), sufficient heat stable fat and a reliable thermometer and you are all set for a stable fry. And let’s face it: you don’t spend more time in front of a frying pot than of a pan sautéing something. So no need for autonomous cooking 😉

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 3

I use this tall 4 quart pot (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) with about 1 - 1.5 quarts of oil that I filter and reuse. The shape gives a decent depth of oil and contains spatter. I use it either with the temp control on my Paragon induction burner or with a regular temp probe on my gas cooktop. The Paragon probe works nicely to maintain temp but is too bulky to accommodate the basket so I choose depending on what I’m cooking. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2023 at 1:32 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I use this tall 4 quart pot (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) with about 1 - 1.5 quarts of oil that I filter and reuse. The shape gives a decent depth of oil and contains spatter. I use it either with the temp control on my Paragon induction burner or with a regular temp probe on my gas cooktop. The Paragon probe works nicely to maintain temp but is too bulky to accommodate the basket so I choose depending on what I’m cooking. 

I've been looking for some time something like that.

Thanks for enabling!!

• Like 1

My aforementioned Fissler stockpot came with a pasta insert that might be useful for deep frying, although I've never used the insert while frying.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou