• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

A friend suggested that I buy an air fryer. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has one, so I can't borrow one to try. Supposedly it works by blowing heated air into a container. Is it like a hair dryer on steroids?

Does anyone on eG have one? How does it compare to a regular deep fryer? Does fried chicken turn out as crisp? French fries? Can you fry anything based on batter (e.g. tempura) in there? What about donuts? Also, can it be used for anything else?

Your comments would be appreciated.

(I did a search on eG and found no results. If there is an existing thread, could the mods please merge?)

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

It looks like a baby Dalek..."Exterminate!" :cool:

I can't imagine fried chicken without the lard/oil. Isn't this something similar to a convection oven then as opposed to a fryer?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

If you read the fine print you do actually have to add a small amount of oil, a fact that Philips seems to make obscure (I believe they got into some legal trouble with their "just add air" commercials).

It seems akin to something like a rapid high temp dehydrator...

I've been looking around the web and it appears that the AirFryer is like extreme convection cooking, whereas the Actifry is more like an automatic stir-fryer. I think the Actifry could work well enough on small items (e.g. fries, although I'd be sorely tempted to put it up against a wok), but not so much on larger items, say, a chicken leg (unless you like yours prepared by tiny hockey players). I don't think either would stand up to the results of true deep frying. Walmart has a (Air Fryer-Type) version from another manufacturer for $99.99, but the reviews vary widely (5 stars, or broke before completing a single cooking cycle). In fact, I can't find a single review for the AirFryer from someone who either isn't wearing a Phillips apron, or is not reading off the box or the enclosed recipe book.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

So far all the reviews have been pretty useless. They just say "these French fries are good!" without actually comparing them to deep fried fries. All claim that the fries are healthier without actually going to the trouble of analysing the nutritional content of the fries. No discussion on what else the machine can, or can not do. Nothing said about pros and cons. Surely someone knows something :(

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

• 3 years later...

I bought one of these from Amazon a couple months ago.  It was priced, as I recall, around $79.99. 

Used it once for fried chicken but I prepared the chicken the wrong way (with a flour coating) and the chicken was not good.

I haven't had the courage to try again yet.  Now that I see your success with French fries I will get it back out and try again.

I wait eagerly for others' reports on their successes as well.

(I have to admit to being a sucker for gadgets and small appliances.)

Edited by lindag (log)

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Ok - now this is getting dangerous. Get thee behind me Satan!

Let's talk, Satan. Don't listen to her. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@mgaretz

I watched an Australian-made YouTube video (infomercial).  They made everything but coffee in it. So I'm curious if it does anything well other than potatoes. Have you had a chance to experiment?

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh, get in line, Kerry, Anna N and kayb.  I've been thinking about this one for a couple of years.  I can feel myself falling....falling.....

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

a clean up thought :

as I understand the video's, high temp air is circulated with tiny droplets of oil suspended in the air.

this would add to the thermal density of the sir-system  in the same way steam adds to the thermal density of the air in a steam oven

thus transferring energy to the food faster.   

those small droplets have to also coat the parts that are above the basket and basket holder

how is that area cleaned ?   does residual fat above the basket ( if not cleaned ) become rancid affecting future use ?

I could not find an online  .pdf manual

anyone find it ?

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

a clean up thought :

as I understand the video's, high temp air is circulated with tiny droplets of oil suspended in the air.

this would add to the thermal density of the sir-system  in the same way steam adds to the thermal density of the air in a steam oven

thus transferring energy to the food faster.   

those small droplets have to also coat the parts that are above the basket and basket holder

how is that area cleaned ?   does residual fat above the basket ( if not cleaned ) become rancid affecting future use ?

I could not find an online  .pdf manual

anyone find it ?

Excellent question.

I'm not so sure that small droplets of oil get circulated around.  Certainly not by design.

That said, over time the inside will need cleaning and there are several YouTube videos on that.

And here's your YouTube calamari video: 

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Here's a link to the recipe booklet. 

I will not buy an airfryer

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog