• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Convection oven vs. Air Fryer

mgaretz

Since an Air Fryer is basically a mini convection oven (possibly with higher velocity air), I am wondering if there is a significant difference in the results of getting that close to deep-fried effect in one vs. the other?

Basically I want to make crispy fried chicken and fries without deep frying or even pan frying.  That is, of course, the promise of the Air Fryers.  I was debating getting one, but I also own a Breville Smart Oven.  Why buy something else when the BSO can accomplish the same task.  Maybe a bit slower, but it can also handle significantly more food at once.

I have asked at several different WS and SLT locations and those employees that actually sound like they have cooked and used the BSO or the Air Fryer seem to mostly agree that you can get the same results with either.

But asking here seemed like a good option, so any thoughts?

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I use both my BSO and my regular ovens that have convection to "dry fry" all the time. We prefer this technique to deep frying. 

For example to make eggplant Parmesan, rather than dipping the eggplant slices in beaten egg, breadcrumbs and then frying in oil,  we brush the slices with egg wash or mayonnaise,  dip in bread crumbs (both sides), and spritz with pure olive oil spray.  

Then onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet, into a 475F oven, (convection on), using the uppermost rack for 5-10 min (depending on the size of the eggplant slices, we like ours rather thick &  use Sicilian eggplant for this purpose).  At that point, flip the slices over, spritz with a little more olive oil and another 5-10 min until that side is  also golden brown and crispy. 

Using this technique you actually taste the flavor of the eggplant and not just the oil which is how most typical American red sauce joints make their eggplant -  the eggplant absorbs so much of the frying oil, that's all you can taste. No thanks.  

For potatoes, either regular baking potatoes or sweet potatoes, (or even parsnip or carrot chips or zucchini logs or what-have-you), I typically just toss them with a bit of cornstarch or rice flour mixed with salt and pepper after rinsing and shaking most of the water off &  then place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet that has been spritzed with olive oil. Spritz the vegetables themselves as well and cook in the manner described above.

As far as chicken is concerned, in my opinion you will obtain the best results by rubbing the chicken pieces with well seasoned mayonnaise and patting with a mixture of cracker crumbs and crushed Corn Flakes. The crackers and the Corn Flakes combo make a nice crunch on the exterior,   which you can season as desired. Simply place on a cooling rack that has been placed on a cookie sheet and spritz the exterior of the chicken pieces with olive oil or your preferred oil for cooking. Using convection, cook at 475F just until the exterior is golden brown, then turn the heat down to 275F and continue to cook until the poultry registers 155F internally.   Allow the chicken to rest a few minutes to redistribute the interior juices. If there are any leftovers, store in a paper box lined with wax paper to maintain that hard-earned crunch! 

Edited by kbjesq
Fix Typo (log)
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

Checking back into this thread after a long absence from it and a bit of experimentation with the BSO as an air fryer.  Thanks @kbjesq for the suggestions, I had totally forgotten that I did pretty much what you suggest, dipping chicken tenders in seasoned mayo and then panko years earlier when my daughter lived with us and wasn't gluten-intolerant.

I was never completely happy with the results, so I just got a Philips Airfryer and have revived the AirFryer thread: https://forums.egullet.org/topic/143952-the-air-fryer-topic/  I have only made fries so far, but they were much better than what I ever made in the BSO.  Head over there to continue the discussion...

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs