• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I don't see Beyond or Impossible going down this road, but who knows? It might be effective...

image.thumb.png.d6ea8a6059fc37d5ba295a798f35ef81.png

Reminds me a bit of Apu …

IMG_2352.gif.eaeb4ea272d687b116b9230844d95e53.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, lindag said:

That reminded me of this: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

54 minutes ago, Alex said:

That reminded me of this: 

Yeah, that was our beloved @Toliver's tag line. May he rest in peace.

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

For those of you on Instagram, Chef Reactions is worth checking out (thank you @mlbatt for reminding me about him!). I find his content entertaining, and also occasionally horrifying such as the "Needs more butter" recipe he posted today... 😱

• Like 1

The US Embassy in London tweeted this today. It should be "assure," mind you, but whatever.

image.thumb.png.6f66bc4006192a60d574fb8648ec28d8.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 hours ago, haresfur said:

How long does it take you to go through 5 kg of Xanthan Gum at home?

image.thumb.jpeg.1bb832f66905d624b9e9f3f95fe0b312.jpeg

I made a mix of guar and xantham the other day - used 5 grams - then 3 grams of that mixture which was a miscalculation and should have been 0.3 grams. So about 1000 years! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Food funnies, parenting edition:

image.png.54c113351a73f17bf6871808cd74f2ea.png

• Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 1/25/2024 at 10:13 PM, Kerry Beal said:

I made a mix of guar and xantham the other day - used 5 grams - then 3 grams of that mixture which was a miscalculation and should have been 0.3 grams. So about 1000 years! 

Yeah, I reckon 5 kg would be enough to turn a swimming pool to the consistency of maple syrup. I can only think that the company is using a loophole so they don't have to provide a certificate of analysis and that the purchasers are all businesses who assume they won't get caught.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 1/24/2024 at 9:35 AM, chromedome said:

The US Embassy in London tweeted this today. It should be "assure," mind you, but whatever.

image.thumb.png.6f66bc4006192a60d574fb8648ec28d8.png

At first glance I thought the US Embassy response wasn't real, that it was just a joke.  Wrong!  It was an official document. 

Afterward this was issued by the UK Cabinet Office at X (Twitter). 

In response, to the statement put out by the US Embassy in the UK: We appreciate our Special Relationship, however, we must disagree wholeheartedly... Tea can only be made using a kettle.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

however, we must disagree wholeheartedly.

As if we don't have enough problems, are we headed for another war over tea with England? Lookout Boston here they come again!

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

For those who missed the Breaking News regarding the Tempest in the Teapot, here's a link to the story about an American "scientist" who suggested the addition of salt to tea, as well as warming the milk.  

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/25/1226815949/tea-salt-controversy-us-uk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tonight we tried a Rao's frozen pizza. Not bad, not great. On the back of the box, the instructions specified, "Remove pizza from plastic wrap and remove cardboard." I suppose some folks need to be told that. It continued, "...Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted. Pizza will be hot." Ah, thank you, legal team.

• Haha 10

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

11 hours ago, Alex said:

Tonight we tried a Rao's frozen pizza. Not bad, not great. On the back of the box, the instructions specified, "Remove pizza from plastic wrap and remove cardboard." I suppose some folks need to be told that. It continued, "...Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted. Pizza will be hot." Ah, thank you, legal team.

They forgot to include 'wear oven mitts or suitable protection when removing pizza from oven' and 'turn off oven after baking'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

image.png.3db4c36ce040e21e5f08f92978b147a5.png

• Haha 6

31 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

image.png.7acea6fbcdbe14dd0f197e7476905d64.png

That's great! I'd love to know whether it's genuine or photohopped.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Alex said:

That's great! I'd love to know whether it's genuine or photohopped.

It's genuine, from a Pizza Hut in Timmins, Ontario. Story here:

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/northern-ont-pizza-shop-s-unforeseen-circumcisions-typo-goes-viral-1.6746886

The followup sign they posted (scroll through the article) makes it even better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

image.thumb.png.6807c5454a55ff03251f5cf7804cdf6f.png

• Haha 7

image.png.4949698d2b5e1a5d857545192c78d7b2.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, chromedome said:

image.png.4949698d2b5e1a5d857545192c78d7b2.png

Reminds me of a line from an old country song (warning: not PC at all) "I never went to bed with an ugly woman but I sure woke up with a few."

• Haha 1

image.png.6a150dcb33365a0849459489bc79efd5.png

• Haha 7