• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Toliver

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks for the link!  I was not finding it on my own.  I bought Bayless for 99 cents.

Sorry, only seeing it now.  Glad you found it!

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Wow - some very good books on that list!  

No kiddin'. I bought, oh, I think four of 'em.

Would have bought two or three more, but for the fact I already had them in hardback.

The Cuban Table, Ad Hoc at Home, Bouchon, and New England Soup Factory. I already had Bayless and Pepin. And Vivian Howard in hardback. Contemplated Bourdain, and passed.

• Like 2

Devil rum.  While enjoying my mai tai I went back and ordered Hip Pressure cooking (I'd already read the book but it doesn't hurt to support an eGullet friend), The Cuban Table, Bouchon, and Essential Pepin.

Though I shall never forgive Pepin, his heirs and assigns for Howard Johnson ice cream being served in hot metal cups.

• Like 1

I read the preview of Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat and went back to order it.  But then I reflected my Sardinian dinner tonight was potatoes, pasta, and bread.  I thought better of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

should not this thread be called 

"" Crazy Good e-Book Kindle Bargains ""

dont worry

Im nor raining on your parade.

Yeah, in addition to Kindle (.azw) there's also .epub, .pdf, .mobi, .odf and others.

I have many Kindle, pdf, epub and mobi cookbooks.

This is from Calibre's website—a popular e-book manager:

"Input Formats: AZW, AZW3, AZW4, CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, DOCX, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

Output Formats: AZW3, EPUB, DOCX, FB2, HTMLZ, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PMLZ, RB, PDF, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ, ZIP"

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

Very often, but not always, books that are dirt-cheap on Kindle are also dirt-cheap on other ebook platforms as well. If you see something listed here as a Kindle book but you prefer a different platform, check it out on your preferred ebookstore. It may be bargain-basement priced there also.

• Like 2

Some cheap books I found today:

Pizza Camp by Joe Beddia, $3.99

Three books by David Tanis, all $2.99 or less: One Good Dish, Heart of the Artichoke, and A Platter of Figs

Crossroads: Extraordinary Recipes from the Restaurant that is Reinventing Vegan Cuisine by Tal Ronnen, $2.51

Kokkari: Contemporary Greek Flavors by Erik Cosselmon, $2.99

Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking by Dana Shultz, $1.99

and the one I'm most excited about, Breaking Breads: A New World of Israeli Baking by Uri Scheft, $2.99.

20 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yeah, in addition to Kindle (.azw) there's also .epub, .pdf, .mobi, .odf and others.

I have many Kindle, pdf, epub and mobi cookbooks.

This is from Calibre's website—a popular e-book manager:

"Input Formats: AZW, AZW3, AZW4, CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, DOCX, EPUB, FB2, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ

Output Formats: AZW3, EPUB, DOCX, FB2, HTMLZ, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PMLZ, RB, PDF, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ, ZIP"

Went through to the keeper.

• Confused 1

Thanks, @MelissaH. Two were on my wish list -- Crossroads and Israeli baking. 

• Like 1

I have to blame graciously thank both  @MelissaH & @Anna N for enabling me.  I'd been going back and forth on the Israeli baking book and seeing it mentioned again and again pushed me over the edge.  

Of course, while I was navigating to that book, I also had to add Back Pocket Pasta: Inspired Dinners to Cook on the Fly @ $2.99 to my collection. 

• Like 1

I don't know whether to thank or curse the lot of you.  The Israeli Baking book is my 5th or 6th book acquisition in 3 days. Bargains, indeed.  O.o

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have to blame graciously thank both  @MelissaH & @Anna N for enabling me.  I'd been going back and forth on the Israeli baking book and seeing it mentioned again and again pushed me over the edge.  

Of course, while I was navigating to that book, I also had to add Back Pocket Pasta: Inspired Dinners to Cook on the Fly @ $2.99 to my collection. 

The Back Pocket Pasta was  no deal for me (Canada non-prime) but I would be curious to hear what you think of it.

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks, @MelissaH. Two were on my wish list -- Crossroads and Israeli baking. 

I am so embarrassed.  Amazon tells me I already own Crossroads. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Splendid Table is a fine book

I think they and a second book , or a first one depending on how you count.

• Like 1

This  one has been on my wish list for a long time. This is the Kindle edition on the Amazon.ca site.   I am not a prime member. Donabe: Classic and Modern Japanese Clay Pot Cooking. 

Edited by Anna N Edited to post its proper title (log)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

This  one has been on my wish list for a long time. This is the Kindle edition on the Amazon.ca site.   I am not a prime member. Donabe: Classic and Modern Japanese Clay Pot Cooking. 

$1.99 US Prime price. Just looked and bought it. Thanks.

Here.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kayb said:

$1.99 US Prime price. Just looked and bought it. Thanks.

Here.

Thankfully amazon informed me I bought it for the same $1.99 price last spring.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thankfully amazon informed me I bought it for the same $1.99 price last spring.

This time I checked my library before I bought it.  I am convinced there are employees at Amazon who snigger at people like me who keep trying to buy books they already own.  Keeps me up at night. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

....people like me who keep trying to buy books they already own.

I've done that too. :laugh:

• Like 1

A couple more:

Soframiz, by Ana Sortun and Maura Kilpatrick ($1.99) has wonderful-looking Middle East-inspired baked goods, and was fun reading.

Pok Pok, by Andy Ricker and JJ Goode ($2.99) was also fun reading, with doable-looking recipes from the eponymous Thai restaurants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1