• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

On 10/30/2017 at 8:27 AM, Toliver said:

Either off the sale now or that is a Prime price. I followed the link and got a price of $18.99 .

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Either off the sale now or that is a Prime price. I followed the link and got a price of $18.99 .

I just checked the link...the sale is over. :(

Odd how some books stay on sale forever and others last such a short time...

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

7 hours ago, barolo said:

On you be the blame!  I succumbed to a trial of prime because I really wanted David Leite’s book at $1.99. :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

On you be the blame!  I succumbed to a trial of prime because I really wanted David Leite’s book at $1.99. :o

As long as one is not reduced to eating bark and millet prime is a bargain.  It is a deep, deep hole.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Christmas came early! 

Andrea Nguyen: Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More 1.99

Taste of Persia by Naomi Duguid 2.24

Burma: Rivers of Flavor also by Naomi Duguid 2.99

Koreatown 1.99

PRIME: The Beef Cookbook 0.99

And related to the above Pitt Cue Co. Cookbook 2.99

Molto Gusto by Mario Batali 1.99

Milk Bar Life by Christina Tosi 2.99

The Gramercy Tavern Cookbook 2.99

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The Kindle version of Andrea Nguyen's Asian Dumplings for $1.99 just fell into my cart.

Don’t you just hate how badly they are stacked so that just as you move by them one falls into your cart?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

The Kindle version of Andrea Nguyen's Asian Dumplings for $1.99 just fell into my cart.

Grabbed that one a couple of days ago!

Now if there were only some way to search across a whole library of Kindle cookbooks.

29 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Grabbed that one a couple of days ago!

Now if there were only some way to search across a whole library of Kindle cookbooks.

There is!  It’s called Eat Your Books!  

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I am now $30 poorer.  This thread was supposed to be about bargains.

Interestingly nothing I could do would let me sign up for EYB on the PC.  It worked flawlessly the first time from the iPad.  I guess as they say:  "It just works."

But now I have to learn how to search for stuff.  Adding titles by author or ISBN is easy.  Howsoe'r I'll be bent out of shape if they don't allow me to search from the PC.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MelissaH said:

Bargain prices seem to be cycling through Joanne Chang's baking books. Up currently is Baking with Less Sugar, for $2.99 (US Prime).

I noticed that. Other books that I've posted as on sale and then they came off of being on sale, are now back on sale again. Very odd.

For example, back on sale again:

"Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World" Kindle Edition $2.99US

Something new I saw today:

Here's a book of essays from Nigel Slater

"Eating for England: The Delights and Eccentricities of the British at Table" Kindle Edition $3.99US

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Tim Oliver

Tim Oliver

18 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Ah yes I knew that two of these books  ring a bell with me and it sounded cracked. Beautiful breads lost all my affection when it called for a can of condensed sweetened milk to make real mint sauce. That wasn’t it’s only horror but it was one of them. 

And it seems to me that I recall that Soup Factory actually made enough soup to feed a factory. YMMV. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

And it seems to me that I recall that Soup Factory actually made enough soup to feed a factory. YMMV. 

Using the "Look Inside" feature, I can see that some of the stock recipes shown do make a huge amount (one recipe called for 14 cups of water). But I used to be good at math and can divide quantities to make a smaller amount. At least it's not baking where amounts matter to the gram.

Tim Oliver

Yeah, the sandwich one is weird. It also calls for a pound of fillings to make two sandwiches, which begs the question, for whom, the Jolly Green Giant?

The Currence book, now, I had to get that. He's helped really set the pace for dining in the MidSouth. I'm gonna have to get to Oxford for breakfast at his place one of these days.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

From my BookBub email this morning:

Alice Waters' "Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Edited to add the usual disclaimer that I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

Edited again to add this from the Los Angeles Bakery of the same name:

"Kiss My Bundt: Recipes from the Award-Winning Bakery" Kindle Edition $1.99US

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

I'm not sure if it's good or bad that apparently the sales cycle through, and many of the books that are currently cheap are ones I bought previously when they were cheap.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Tim Oliver

Toliver's links led me to Opa! The Healthy Greek Cookbook: Modern Mediterranean Recipes for Living the Good Life.  I love Greek food.  I do not need another cookbook of any stripe, except the Modernist Bread.  OTOH for $1.99 (my Amazon Prime price, at least) it's so easy to collect books.  You suppose Amazon has found a nice price point for quick sales?

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown