• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

With such a blurred photo, it is hard to tell but the way the little bugger is hunched over, could he / she / it be a baby sparrow? As long as he is not a blackbird, he should be relatively safe as blackbirds have something to do with the word pie. And with Anna being so busy with food lately, it may just end up in a pie. Fortunately there is only one, so pie is out!

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a package of Pepperidge Farm puff pastry in the freezer, well past it's expiration date.  I'd be interested in a recipe for spanakopita.

Fine Cooking has a take on this. Is it still spanakopita? Maybe not, but similar. 

http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/puff-pastry-spanakopita

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

What is it?  A bat?

No.  It is just a baby bird who is now crying desperately for his mama but is completely out of reach in a house with ceilings that are 20 or 25 feet high and with architectural features everywhere. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

38 minutes ago, JohnT said:

With such a blurred photo, it is hard to tell but the way the little bugger is hunched over, could he / she / it be a baby sparrow? As long as he is not a blackbird, he should be relatively safe as blackbirds have something to do with the word pie. And with Anna being so busy with food lately, it may just end up in a pie. Fortunately there is only one, so pie is out!

I am guessing it is a sparrow from the sound of it but I'm not much of a birder so I'm not sure. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

No.  It is just a baby bird who is now crying desperately for his mama but is completely out of reach in a house with ceilings that are 20 or 25 feet high and with architectural features everywhere. 

Poor wee thing.

• Like 1

Just now, ElsieD said:

Poor wee thing.

The door he came in through is still open so I'm hoping he'll find his way out again. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.5ae798f4ad12026969608c57282a88d1.jpeg

The bird that you see is a resident fake parrot.  Behind him in the vast expanse came out of some architect's imagination  and well out of the reach of normal non-mountaineering humans is the baby bird. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Fine Cooking has a take on this. Is it still spanakopita? Maybe not, but similar. 

http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/puff-pastry-spanakopita

Thanks, that recipe should be doable.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

This is the story only those who know Kerry Beal are going to actually believe.   This little guy was trapped in the house from noon until around 4:30 this afternoon when Kerry returned from work. At that point it decided to come flying down and landed where it was very reachable. Kerry walked, over stretched out her hand and the damn bird hopped onto it.  She was able to  get it outside where it was very reluctant to let go of Kerry.  Many of you will understand that. 

image.jpeg.867435721f0610a2bfeab6bdbd278539.jpeg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 26

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, lindag said:

Anyone around have a fish net?

You would need very tall stilts too. 

My 2004 eG Blog

On 7/3/2017 at 5:31 AM, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5177.jpg.ae933d9502be2680a5797e754b87b7e7.jpg

This was some of batch 2 around a maple flavoured marshmallow which didn't seem to have any maple flavor. Apparently it does slump over time.

Regarding this from an older post: "Apparently it does slump over time." An apt description of me after a bad day at the office. xD

Have there been any libations you've made that weren't successful (didn't taste very good)? 

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

35 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Regarding this from an older post: "Apparently it does slump over time." An apt description of me after a bad day at the office. xD

Have there been any libations you've made that weren't successful (didn't taste very good)? 

No binn-able libations this trip so far - but we have not tried anything new - we have so far stuck to the old favorites.

• Like 1

Shelby, I think I recall seeing a box of wine in a background shot once.  Just to let you know that you're not alone.  Not even sure if I could open a real bottle of wine anymore.  Corkscrew?  What's a corkscrew?  Don't spread it, but one of my kids call my wine "Mom's box 'o drunk."  She means it with love I'm sure.;)  Okay, back to the thread and thanks for letting me interrupt 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Shelby, I think I recall seeing a box of wine in a background shot once.  Just to let you know that you're not alone.  Not even sure if I could open a real bottle of wine anymore.  Corkscrew?  What's a corkscrew?  Don't spread it, but one of my kids call my wine "Mom's box 'o drunk."  She means it with love I'm sure.;)  Okay, back to the thread and thanks for letting me interrupt 

ROFL "mom's box 'o drunk"  LOVE that.

Yep, I'm a cheap date.  Franzia box wine.....red solo cup....juice glass...straight out of the spigot...I'm a happy girl xD

Sorry Kerry and Anna....we are done derailing now :)  

• Like 3

Just now, Shelby said:

ROFL "mom's box 'o drunk"  LOVE that.

Yep, I'm a cheap date.  Franzia box wine.....red solo cup....juice glass...straight out of the spigot...I'm a happy girl xD

Sorry Kerry and Anna....we are done derailing now :)  

No worries.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

This is the story only those who know Kerry Beal are going to actually believe.   This little guy was trapped in the house from noon until around 4:30 this afternoon when Kerry returned from work. At that point it decided to come flying down and landed where it was very reachable. Kerry walked, over stretched out her hand and the damn bird hopped onto it.  She was able to  get it outside where it was very reluctant to let go of Kerry.  Many of you will understand that. 

image.jpeg.867435721f0610a2bfeab6bdbd278539.jpeg

I thought you were going to say Kerry trapped it in caramel.

• Like 12

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I am most impressed at the bird rescue. Should the ER physician gig ever play out, Kerry has a wonderful future as a bird trainer for animal acts!

I believe that calls for a cocktail.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

26 minutes ago, kayb said:

I am most impressed at the bird rescue. Should the ER physician gig ever play out, Kerry has a wonderful future as a bird trainer for animal acts!

I believe that calls for a cocktail.

Me too!

I'm having a Bloody Mary!

• Like 2