• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

Your plate is made - when are you arriving?

I was detained by some green beans and a dirty kitchen lol.

Since I've discovered that I don't hate lamb, I'm very envious of your meal.

• Like 1

Well Shelby we waited as long as we could and then hunger over took good manners and we ate without you.

image.jpeg.4b8b50f3a548737c057e6d579b09f7cf.jpeg

The rack.

image.jpeg.1cc15c408d4e24b064ab454067e3ee50.jpeg

I decided that the roasted garlic would be a condiment to be slathered at will. image.jpeg.5aa46cd394cc08109b1df220b5ae092f.jpeg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 24

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, Shelby said:

P.S.  I just read online that it is World Chocolate Day today.

So, happy Chocolate Day :D

I was told that by a ob-gyn friend that I called to talk to today. Unfortunately he is back home and I was unable to provide him with chocolate!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Apparently chicken or goose skin makes gribenes, pork fat makes cracklins and beef makes greaves. 

The things one learns.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Those of us who are low-carbing it and can resist are free to do so. :D

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5252.thumb.JPG.a7671ae8eb67d85b3cc0048c2be4d214.JPG

Stopped to pick up lunch at The Other Half Cafe - which shares a building with the pawn shop

Uh, which of you is low-carb-ing? That looks a lot like pasta! :P

• Like 3

That rack of lamb is indeed drool-worthy, and inspires envy.  I think, however, the bread got short shrift.  Please tell more about it!  Ciabatta?  Did you make it there?  I want that bread, with or without the lamb. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

For all of you swing bridge fans out there. Here is an update on the condition of the swing bridge Click

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That rack of lamb is indeed drool-worthy, and inspires envy.  I think, however, the bread got short shrift.  Please tell more about it!  Ciabatta?  Did you make it there?  I want that bread, with or without the lamb. 

I am afraid it is commercial bread from Ace bakery. Tiny Ciabatta buns. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I am afraid it is commercial bread from Ace bakery. Tiny Ciabatta buns. 

Well, it looks good.  I hope it tasted as good as it looks.

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Oh MY! How did I miss this thread?!
Just spent my whole evening reading the entries from first to this latest one.

Can't possibly hit "like" on every post by Kerry and Anna, but I paid specific attention to the rack of lamb AND the cauliflower cake. The latter is on my to-do-list as I am needing new ways of cooking cauliflower!

Thanks for the always interesting time on the island!

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg.4b8b50f3a548737c057e6d579b09f7cf.jpeg

The rack.

Nice rack! :P :D

• Like 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

26 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Nice rack! :P :D

Now if only it could stretch me until I am about 6 feet tall.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

So we are up early and ready to drive to Sudbury. We are hoping to beat the swinging of the bridge at 8 AM. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

The place we often have breakfast in Espanola, Maratha, is no more so we are at Jeremy's in Nairn Centre. 

IMG_3417.thumb.JPG.91ee6057943b483f005a2f219e0bf0aa.JPGIMG_3419.thumb.JPG.d492fd9632e40f5c2b2607d1459bc3cb.JPGIMG_3421.thumb.JPG.8c457249110f51d4c87477aab6f3e5a5.JPGIMG_3417.thumb.JPG.91ee6057943b483f005a2f219e0bf0aa.JPG

Woven rye toast for me and Sunnyside eggs. Woven brown toast for Kerry with eggs over easy. 

IMG_3422.JPG

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

Weaving the toast slices is a nicely decorative touch.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Weaving the toast slices is a nicely decorative touch.

So the computer system is down in Jeremy's so we are quite amused by their bill. IMG_3423.thumb.JPG.6a92d0c509f106dff8cb159f18a136a5.JPG

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Posting as we move from place to place. At the moment it is thrift stores. IMG_3428.thumb.JPG.c5d626861d0b4c8bc5e7ec73dba1caed.JPG

From Retail where when we met two delightful elderly cats.  They appear to have a platonic romance going on so both have been taken off the adoption list!  

IMG_3435.thumb.JPG.556b657b83da8f8067442994cc1ad7ce.JPG

We left the Salvation Army store with only this brown sugar guardian angel. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

No we are still buying. We are in Value Village at the moment!   There is no end to our infamy or our spendthrift habits!

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

We shot our bolt at Value Village, HomeSense, Metro and Costco now we are recovering at a Japanese barbecue restaurant in   Sudbury. 

IMG_3445.thumb.JPG.5cf5837f74e249b02f9d639d08521512.JPGIMG_3485.thumb.JPG.c7c003b39b6126844278b5480f74100b.JPGIMG_3438.thumb.JPG.8f3502c68c83238105740c42ae3aed3e.JPG

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog