• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Ah, I see you bought a book to help solve @MelissaH's query in the Pastry and Baking section regarding Ice Box Cakes! :)

That is exactly why it called out to me! I went through an icebox cake phase perhaps a couple of years ago up here - thought with the quality of whipping cream we picked up at Costco that it would be quick and dirty things to take to work.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

That folding grater looks like a good piece of equipment for our trailer, or for similarly compact situations.  Please let us know how well it works, when you get to trying it out.  Does the selected grate lock in place, as with a folding knife, or does it swing freely?  

Definitely each greater locks in place as does the one not in use.Definitely each greater locks in place as does the one not in use.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

icebox cakes is an interesting book.

The Local Economy probably looks forward to your visits !

the book of greens I just got from my library but have not peaked into it yet.

is the greater the type with Microplane edges ?

nice !

Yes they are the micro plane edges and very sharp.  I think there is much more likelihood I will do some damage to my person with these than with a knife!

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

So the fun of being up here is definitely not about efficiency it's about doing things just because you can.   And in a way that would drive many sensible people to distraction. 

IMG_3605.thumb.JPG.a941994f3b31898acf225dc0e1e083b2.JPG

IMG_3611.thumb.JPG.0b419af3c279756bb136870cb1f9ee79.JPGIMG_3620.thumb.JPG.0cf15bc158452d391d6b10c0b952d16e.JPGIMG_3626.thumb.JPG.26f666f231f8bfb650e7f462b3bd954d.JPG

so there!

• Like 24

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you for the pictorial. I was wondering why you wanted that mini griddle when you have so many pans and griddles. Now I know -- it is just because you wanted to. Enjoy!

• Like 2

So here is how the day is shaping up for us on Manitoulin Island.

Kerry has gone up to the hospital. She is on call today so she may be gone for 10 minutes or 10 hours.  I have asked her to pick up groceries if she has an opportunity on her way back. I know  you are wondering how could I possibly need more groceries. But there is a little leftover lamb and a little leftover beef and it occurred to me that I could turn them into a Shepherd's Cottage pie.  And since one of us is still kinda low carbing then a cauliflower mash for the top would be a good idea. But there  is neither cauliflower, nor carrots, nor peas in the house. 

I managed to harvest about 250g combined of leftover beef and lamb.  With some vegetables and some cheese added to the cauliflower mash I think we can make a meal out of it. 

See how little logic exists here.  Yesterday I spent all sorts of money on silly gadgets and today I am behaving as my grandmother would have. I'm trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Frugality and excess  seem to be natural partners in my questionably sane existence. 

I wanted to show you a little more about the  silly gadget  that captured my imagination. 

IMG_3641.thumb.JPG.4052f5750a30a54110344cf3b6f9f10d.JPG

There are three units in the package. Each unit consists of a small cutting board and a cover. 

IMG_3640.thumb.JPG.84090ec718faf9c378335227c9f6905c.JPG

The covers can be expanded. 

For me it seems like a great idea. For instance right now I have chopped up an onion and put it in the refrigerator ready to use later. Often that is as much as I can do before I need to rest. So on some days my food prep can spread over many hours.  This gadget might be a good solution for me but not likely for everyone. But I also think it's perfect for a bar when you need a twist of lemon or so  and want to save the rest of the lemon.  Anyway I'm having fun with it and that is as far as I'm concerned all that really matters.

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, curls said:

Thank you for the pictorial. I was wondering why you wanted that mini griddle when you have so many pans and griddles. Now I know -- it is just because you wanted to. Enjoy!

Thank you, thank you. I knew somebody would get it. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

So Kerry managed to rush home with my shopping, throw together a grilled cheese sandwich and rush out the door with the sandwich on a plate!

I have been hearing sirens and horns blasting away right outside all morning and thinking poor Kerry must be really busy in emerg.  Turns out the local fire department is putting on some kind of do for the kids over in the park!   She is still really busy but it is pretty much routine walk ins. 

So with cauliflower, carrots and peas in hand I am out of excuses for not getting on with dinner preparations.

I am going to use the Instant Pot to cook the cauliflower for cauliflower mash. You just gotta love a vacation kitchen that is fully equipped. 

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

36 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Don't keep me hanging with the icebox cake book! Is there anything inside that vaguely resembles what I'd heard about a carlota de limon?

Nope!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

IMG_3644.thumb.JPG.d00a750b797107528ddcf926f816f1f5.JPG

Not exactly the most attractive meal you have ever seen. Shepherd's Cottage pie with cauliflower mash. Looked even less attractive dished up!  

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. It's a cool morning for July. The temperature right now is only about 18°C and the forecast is for 20° as the high.

I enjoyed one of Kerry's muffins with my coffee so I'm not sure yet if I'm going to have anything else for breakfast. I don't usually enjoy sweet things in the morning but these were darn good muffins. 

Kerry has gone off to finish up at the hospital and when she returns we will be heading out somewhere to refill the propane tank for the outdoor barbecue. The Little Green Egg is not up to all the tasks we throw at it. We have a giant pack of romaine lettuce from Costco and we both enjoy it grilled  but it is too big for the baby egg.

Without being sure how the day will play out I'm reluctant to make any serious dinner plans. I was contemplating a recipe from Ottolenghi's Jerusalem  but it requires quite an investment of time which I may not have today.   Perhaps I will plan on it for tomorrow and see what Kerry thinks about trying the rib cap which I threw in the freezer after I had sous vided it.  That and some grilled romaine would you make a fast and easy dinner.

Stay tuned for further developments. :)

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

hopefully there will he some pics of the RibCap ?

that's a cut I hope to someday find ( Prime ? ) at Costo w a gift card or two.

personally financed of course.

Edited by rotuts (log)

IMG_3648.thumb.JPG.966d146e7b7117ba6977b87f6fff70dd.JPG

To finish breakfast:  more cherries with some quintessentially Canadian reading matter.  The reading matter is

especially for @JohnT who at one time wondered about the rustic appearance of butter tarts!  

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

hopefully there will he some pics of the RibCap ?

that's a cut I hope to someday find ( Prime ? ) at Costo w a gift card or two.

But of course.

My 2004 eG Blog

After we gassed up the car and exchanged the propane tank for one that actually had propane in it, we went over to a place called The Trough.  This is a food truck attached to a craft brewery.   It is hugely popular with the residents of Little Current.IMG_3682.thumb.JPG.2f91481eda33ee670d7f58bde45c381a.JPG

they were out of menus {water} and so I am sharing this one with you. It was given to me by one of the rugrat's carers and it had been in her car forheaven only knows how long.

IMG_3671.thumb.JPG.5ca6e268921edbdb0de998984a6e6e7a.JPG

We ate on this patio. It is still a work in progress

IMG_3677.thumb.JPG.9db651862678cfbe3c34bf771ce6c4ab.JPG

as is the bar. 

IMG_3674.thumb.JPG.407f797e495c7d8c4bb6963f9a41c7fa.JPG

Kerry had a loaded philly. 

IMG_3673.thumb.JPG.5ea99b7e905523582019843b3ee338d9.JPG

And I had the Kickin' Chicken Poutine. 

After lunch we drove out to Pike Lake Farm under the pretense of needing strawberries and eggs. Really though we wanted to see Otis the pup. 

IMG_3680.thumb.JPG.592fdb3440331354a35215ed0846545c.JPG

We got the eggs. She had not yet picked strawberries for the day but we did get to see Otis who wanted to just sleep.

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:38 PM, Smithy said:

The Big House Wines are fairly common in my neck of the woods, but I'm not sure I've seen those cans. I'll be interested to know the assessment of the canned wines.

They are very popular around here and not just the Big House wines...it seems a lot of folks take them out on the lake.  Maybe I'll get John a selection of Pinot Grigio and have him give me a report.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

9 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

They are very popular around here and not just the Big House wines...it seems a lot of folks take them out on the lake.  Maybe I'll get John a selection of Pinot Grigio and have him give me a report.

I am the wrong person to give you  wine tasting notes. White wine needs to be cold, wet and not too sweet! I bought the cans because they don't take up much room in the fridge and they don't contain more wine then I can possibly finish in a single sitting. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Never to be outdone ...

IMG_3687.thumb.JPG.111dabcfc53fac859304a2c32ca1d963.JPG

Kerry with the makings of Tepache.

IMG_3689.thumb.JPG.16d66f9e8dab8c4306c6d38603da132d.JPG

IMG_3696.thumb.JPG.1a114313d4cf429369579d19854a1ab9.JPG

and for all you caramel lovers. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am the wrong person to give you  wine tasting notes. White wine needs to be cold, wet and not too sweet! I bought the cans because they don't take up much room in the fridge and they don't contain more wine then I can possibly finish in a single sitting. 

So no, "A floral nose, hints of clover and grass,  with a crisp, clean finish" forthcoming?

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

27 minutes ago, Porthos said:

So no, "A floral nose, hints of clover and grass,  with a crisp, clean finish" forthcoming?

Not a chance. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog