• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

IMG_3286.thumb.JPG.ca8ef067c2f0ca33fac63cb8ec74ffb5.JPG

I have been rather neglectful  today as far as meals go and this is probably the worst idea I've had so far today. It is after nine pm and I am going to have this roast beef & horseradish sandwich.  I shall probably pay for my poor decision-making all night long. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have been rather neglectful  today as far as meals go and this is probably the worst idea I've had so far today. It is after nine pm and I am going to have this roast beef & horseradish sandwich.  I shall probably pay for my poor decision-making all night long. 

Looks like my kind of bread, kind of grainy.  I'm in Burlington sipping on a "get a bird out of jail" glass of wine. Glad to read he was caught and is now back outside.  Hopefully he is re-united with his mother.

• Like 7

IMG_5246.jpg.32a982e9ee3275c9ca92beb183ed6012.jpg

For work today - finally offloading some of the caramel.

IMG_5247.jpg.7b1373743e23a57d7563acf87ba212bc.jpg

Looks like something the cat horked up - egg with cheese and some beef greaves. 

• Like 11

Good morning.  Remember when John Denver sang "Some days are diamonds, some days are stone"? Well I'm hoping for one of those diamond days. 

image.jpeg.e111ad6af8922f342a222ac9dffc6573.jpeg

Breakfast of ciabatta, anjou pear and St. Agur cheese.

Kerry is off first to the hospital to take care of some business there and then back to Wiki for the day. 

My plans include another load of laundry, sous-viding a rack of lamb which Kerry will sear on the LGE and coming up with a side/salad to accompany the lamb ( even though both of us know that the only thing a rack of lamb needs is some mint sauce!). 

That certainly doesn't sound very ambitious so we'll see what else gets  accomplished if anything.

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_3318.JPG.f2530c5f455a7d126827de963cb3709a.JPG IMG_3325.JPG.9fbdc4be6d890da22500c9fc5b2a2e93.JPG

I have a new phone with a far better camera than my old phone  so please indulge me as I snap away. I bought some garlic the other day specifically to roast it and today seemed the perfect day to do that.  It is in Cuisinart Steam Oven  and just filling the house with the most amazing aroma. It occurs to me that a couple of small ciabatta buns given some grill marks on the Little Green Egg and smeared with some roasted garlic would make a fine side  for some lamb.  Those of us who are low-carbing it and can resist are free to do so. :D

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

38 minutes ago, Anna N said:

It occurs to me that a couple of small ciabatta buns given some grill marks on the Little Green Egg and smeared with some roasted garlic would make a fine side  for some lamb.

I'd say what you've described would made a fine side for most anything....including a glass of nice wine!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'd say what you've described would made a fine side for most anything....including a glass of nice wine!

I have been picking at the little bits that stuck to the foil. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

House calls in Wiki this am -  IMG_5249.thumb.JPG.34a60e8c8cab6269618da303d9ed7893.JPG

IMG_5250.thumb.JPG.0e4681c5d24d51cc38b944a5ed4eaab5.JPG

IMG_5251.thumb.JPG.4e394386a2d4bf590d85a8eccb72b21e.JPG

Displaced the cat who wasn't having it!

IMG_5252.thumb.JPG.a7671ae8eb67d85b3cc0048c2be4d214.JPG

Stopped to pick up lunch at The Other Half Cafe - which shares a building with the pawn shop

• Like 10

IMG_3348.thumb.JPG.43be8d2e34aa54f5913904c3052debda.JPG

I meant to take a photograph before I put it in the bag but obviously I forgot. It is double bagged on account of those bones!   Setting the Sous Vide for 56.5 C and thinking I will let it go for 2 1/2 hours. I have never cooked a  rack of lamb before either Sous Vide or otherwise. You might think of this one as a practice run.  There will be another one appearing later. This is an Australian halal rack. I think it will be a challenge to get a sear on it using the LGE. 

So the laundry is folded and put away. The garlic is roasted. The lamb is ready to go swimming  and the bath is heating up.  So far so good.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So the laundry is folded and put away. The garlic is roasted. The lamb is ready to go swimming  and the bath is heating up.  So far so good.

All before I woke up.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

39 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

All before I woke up.

I'm not sure I was awake either. But it got done. :D

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

I felt it incumbent upon me to do some quality control so here's my lunch. Ciabatta with a little olive oil, some roasted garlic and some roast beef.  And the cherries which are rapidly reaching the end of the line  both in quantity and quality. IMG_3364.JPG.64ed2edaaffad834d4bdaca9d1240d38.JPG

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Shelby said:

Ugh, Anna, you are putting me to shame today.  I need to can up some green beans but I can't seem to get myself in gear today.  I think I'll just drive up and eat lamb with you guys tonight lol.

Setting a place for you even as we speak. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

16 hours ago, Anna N said:

I would eat 3 sandwiches like this one just now.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

All before I woke up.

I'm not sure I was awake either. But it got done. :D

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_3386.thumb.JPG.f72540ca9e4296106293525c5b056243.JPG

So Kerry stopped in on her way home at the Flee Market. She found this lovely 12 inch cast-iron skillet and she is now faced with seasoning it. I suck at that job. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, lindag said:

greaves?  Never heard that term before.

Apparently chicken or goose skin makes gribenes, pork fat makes cracklins and beef makes greaves. 

• Like 6

We were hoping to do a bit of grilling outside but the weather is not cooperating at all. image.jpeg.820f4937246e5ce04906bf2bc5acb111.jpeg

Not sure how much of the rain you can see but it came fast and furious for a time. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

First layer of flax seed oil on the cast iron - sitting in a 550F oven.

Relaxing with a SSA Jim Jam (SSA = some sorta amaro) waiting for the rain to settle a bit before we sear the lamb. 

IMG_5255.jpg.cf89c87644e5c736b789351afe22b0dd.jpg

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I had always heard that to make gribenes, one fried chicken skin with onions in schmaltz. Without the onions, it's just chicken skin.

I think I may have heard that too.