• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Isn't there some law that gives boat traffic priority over cars?

I sure hope not we have ambulances that need to get out and sometimes in.   But Kerry says if she was up here sailing she should feel quite differently about the situation!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Really hate to tell you this but we still have no fleas. The market was closed. But we were in desperate need of a retail six so we went back to the grocery store and over to Pike Lake Farm, as one does.

image.jpeg.41ba4acfebb35d5699e98c33540a76de.jpeg

From the farm eggs in the back, rhubarb right front then looseleaf romaine and behind the looseleaf romaine, spinach. 

I am not a farm girl. I have to wash those greens. Those greens are full of creepy crawley things.  I need Shelby up here to give me a hand.

image.jpeg.dcd03c22021bcf78dff0f005774106e1.jpeg

Much less intimidating.   Bananas, mushrooms and cherries in the back. Asparagus scallions, chip dip and cream cheese in the front.

image.jpeg.a7dde2547f02a29e6447af9b97bf1298.jpeg

More cocktail tomatoes, anjou pears,  canned cherries and olive oil in the back.  A top sirloin beef roast, 2 pounds of ground beef, a jar of stem ginger marmalade and a jar of seedless raspberry jam.  

Rhubarb!!!!!!!!  

I'd gladly wash your greens for ya :) 

Throw 'em in the sink and fill it with cold water and let them soak for a while.  All the creepies will vacate and float around.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Throw 'em in the sink and fill it with cold water and let them soak for a while.  All the creepies will vacate and float around.

I would gladly swap a dozen fleas for all of these creepycrawlies anytime.  

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

59 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Really hate to tell you this but we still have no fleas. The market was closed. But we were in desperate need of a retail six so we went back to the grocery store and over to Pike Lake Farm, as one does.

image.jpeg.41ba4acfebb35d5699e98c33540a76de.jpeg

From the farm eggs in the back, rhubarb right front then looseleaf romaine and behind the looseleaf romaine, spinach. 

I am not a farm girl. I have to wash those greens. Those greens are full of creepy crawley things.  I need Shelby up here to give me a hand.

image.jpeg.dcd03c22021bcf78dff0f005774106e1.jpeg

Much less intimidating.   Bananas, mushrooms and cherries in the back. Asparagus scallions, chip dip and cream cheese in the front.

image.jpeg.a7dde2547f02a29e6447af9b97bf1298.jpeg

More cocktail tomatoes, anjou pears,  canned cherries and olive oil in the back.  A top sirloin beef roast, 2 pounds of ground beef, a jar of stem ginger marmalade and a jar of seedless raspberry jam.  

How do you manage to use up so much food?!  Not to mention store so much food?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It is challenging. But remember most of the baked goods leave here untouched and feed the starving staff at our emergency department. Some of the food we buy is simply pantry staples that we need to replenish. But on the other hand we are both growing girls and need our food. Not to mention that much of the pleasure of being on Manitoulin Island is cooking and eating whatever we fancy!  

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Don't forget that Anna and Kerry plus the rugrat are up there for around a month. It seems to me that they also have the occasional guest or two over for lunch. As far as storage I imagine they play a bit of "storage Tetris."

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 6

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Oh my god - forgot to post the cocktail.

IMG_5197.jpg.69dcb0ad0ffa72d6d459ec569c7304f3.jpg

Widow's Kiss. After the picture was taken I put it into glasses that we weren't likely to spill while eating a feeding a child. And that had a decent amount of ice in them! (and Anna still managed to knock it over)

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 11

16 minutes ago, Shelby said:

That looks lovely.  What dressing did you use on the salad?

Looks ain't everything.  I take full responsibility.  The dressing was olive oil and lemon juice. The recipe called for 3 tablespoons of olive oil to 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. I tasted it and said "yuck" and added more lemon juice and tipped it over onto the other side. Kerry said it's stripped the enamel from her teeth. I think she's exaggerating just a bit but not too much. On a scale of 1-10 dinner was a 3. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

On a scale of 1-10 dinner was a 3. 

That's a shame... I was just thinking that asparagus tart looks mighty tasty.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

10 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Oh my god - forgot to post the cocktail.

IMG_5197.jpg.69dcb0ad0ffa72d6d459ec569c7304f3.jpg

Widow's Kiss. After the picture was taken I put it into glasses that we weren't likely to spill while eating a feeding a child. And that had a decent amount of ice in them! (and Anna still managed to knock it over)

Yeah.  I was worried you guys became teetotalers over night.

How did the rugrat taste?  :P

Anna is a girl after my own heart.  I can tip over an anvil given the chance.

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Looks ain't everything.  I take full responsibility.  The dressing was olive oil and lemon juice. The recipe called for 3 tablespoons of olive oil to 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. I tasted it and said "yuck" and added more lemon juice and tipped it over onto the other side. Kerry said it's stripped the enamel from her teeth. I think she's exaggerating just a bit but not too much. On a scale of 1-10 dinner was a 3. 

Well, dang.  I guess you got revenge from the potato skins......

xD

• Like 5

Just reporting in that the Cauliflower cake was delicious with the Romesco sauce.  Gave some to our dog walking neighbors to try.  Quite different.  We loved it.  Thanks again.

• Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

23 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

That's a shame... I was just thinking that asparagus tart looks mighty tasty.

Here's the Problem. In theory you think it's gonna work.  This asparagus, despite being pencil thin, really did not cook in the amount of time one would allow for the puff pastry.  Fortunately we were not at a cocktail party trying to maintain our dignity as we found that the only way to eat it was to attempt to reach the end of a stalk of asparagus  because it certainly wasn't going to bow down to any attempt to bite off dainty bits. So we ended up in an undignified situation where we were basically slurping asparagus stalks as you might spaghetti when you were six or seven years old!  

The salad called for a butter-type lettuce and the addition of some toasted walnuts. It needed both. The loose-leaf romaine was inapprpriate but might have worked a bit better had I been more "cheffy" in  prepping the lettuce. But all in all we have both eaten far worse and for me it was a valuable learning experience. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, suzilightning said:

how are the Ranier cherries?  I would think it's a bit early for them....

I love cherries. These were a treat for me and they check all the right boxes.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Yeah.  I was worried you guys became teetotalers over night.

How did the rugrat taste?  :P

Anna is a girl after my own heart.  I can tip over an anvil given the chance.

Well, dang.  I guess you got revenge from the potato skins......

xD

I feel like maybe my sense of humor is maybe wrong.  I hope I didn't hurt any feelings.  I have a very dry sense of humor.  Just ignore me lol.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I love cherries. These were a treat for me and they check all the right boxes.

I LOVE cherries too......

we were out in Seattle back in the mid 80s and the only good thing was the folk selling fresh Raniers for 1.00 per bag

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I feel like maybe my sense of humor is maybe wrong.  I hope I didn't hurt any feelings.  I have a very dry sense of humor.  Just ignore me lol.

Nothing wrong with your sense of humour and nobody's feelings were hurt at this end of the game.  

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Not at all - we laughed heartily! We are both Jonathan Swift fans.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

I LOVE cherries too......

we were out in Seattle back in the mid 80s and the only good thing was the folk selling fresh Raniers for 1.00 per bag

I can only say that if they were a dollar a bag I would probably be buried and the coroner would find the cause of death to be an overdose of Rainier cherries.  

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

right now there is a bowl of washed cherries(red and 1.99 per lb) and one of champagne grapes in the fridge to snack on

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites