• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

IMG_3699.thumb.JPG.5005dbc3e5180e31294e1ef7e9e1cd2c.JPG

Rib cap steak with grilled romaine and faux caesar dressing. 

• Like 25

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

43 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh yeah, that looks good.

Faux dressing?  Tell me more?

1/3 cup (75 mL) light mayonnaise 

3 Tbs (45 mL)  grated Parmesan cheese 

3 Tbs (45 mL)  lemon juice 

2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard 

1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce 

1/2 tsp (2 mL) anchovy paste 

1 clove of garlic, minced 

1/4 tsp  (1 mL) salt 

1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper

Whisk together then chill x 1 hour.  Should keep covered for a couple of days in the refrigerator. 

Don't know who to credit. 

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

1/3 cup (75 mL) light mayonnaise 

3 Tbs (45 mL)  grated Parmesan cheese 

3 Tbs (45 mL)  lemon juice 

2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard 

1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce 

1/2 tsp (2 mL) anchovy paste 

1 clove of garlic, minced 

1/4 tsp  (1 mL) salt 

1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper

Whisk together then chill x 1 hour.  Should keep covered for a couple of days in the refrigerator. 

Don't know who to credit. 

Doing this.

• Like 1

I do a faux Caesar dressing all the time but I just use lemon juice, olive oil, fish sauce, finely minced garlic, salt and pepper. Finely grated parmigiano goes on the lettuce just before the dressing... Love it.

• Like 1

IMG_5295.jpg.d4e3346640730360f96bd40739ebef84.jpg

Lessons learned about Dorie's Corked Breton Galettes - add the filling while they are still warm. Get them out of the tart pans while they are still warm!

• Like 13

Good morning.   It is rather a dull and dreary day.  Even with all the lights on it seems dark. 

IMG_3716.thumb.JPG.e45aa5836b77b5295acdef1f2241b5fd.JPG 

Breakfast is ciabatta, smoky blue and a handful of cherries. 

K

Plans for day include lamb meatballs with barberries from Jerusalem and perhaps @ElainaA's roasted cherry tomato sauce. 

IMG_3719.thumb.JPG.0798329ec4c0effb5715237232f32987.JPG

And because everyone deserves dessert after breakfast. That is stem ginger marmalade in the center.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_3727.thumb.JPG.29b5e2eb03577cf1d70f24a4296c5f6a.JPG

The mise for the meatballs minus the lamb which I left in the fridge. I added a garbage bowl after I took the photo. 

Cinnamon, allspice, salt, pepper, barberries, parsley, onion, garlic, egg. 

IMG_3728.thumb.JPG.f1feea803b8e470a2584443f829d2e36.JPG

The formed meatballs. In the interest of saving dishes I put them back in the bowl they were mixed in. They are resting in the fridge. 

Here's a link to the recipe. I reduced everything by ~ 1/3. 

Edited by Anna N
To add link to recipe. (log)
  • Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

IMG_3699.thumb.JPG.5005dbc3e5180e31294e1ef7e9e1cd2c.JPG

Rib cap steak with grilled romaine and faux caesar dressing. 

Okay, here we go with what may appear to be a dumb question. When you say "grilled romaine", how do you actually "grill" it? I ask this as the term "grill" appears to be slightly different to what we, here at the pointy end of Africa, term "grill". Here it means to cook on a grill or grid over either a gas or charcoal fire or to cook under a salamander. I have the feeling (but may be totally wrong) that your term of "grill" for the romaine is to pan fry it. Could you please enlighten me?

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

55 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Okay, here we go with what may appear to be a dumb question.

Not a dumb question at all. But here it really was grilled. I brushed it with some olive oil, sprinkled it with some salt and Kerry grilled it on the outdoor barbecue over a propane flame. 

At home,  because I do not use an outdoor grill, I will do it in a grill pan on the stove top. It works equally well.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_3741.thumb.JPG.2f55ba9de705cc7f21d5f9ba58cbe97a.JPG

The mise for the sauce. As you can tell my shallots are all over the place size-wise and I came up short in the amount required.  No worries I peeled and quartered an onion. I'm sure the world won't end.   Aside from the shallots and the onion you can say a sprig of thyme, two bay leaves,  sugar, salt pepper, wine,  chicken stock and figs. 

IMG_3743.thumb.JPG.07edf728f0d062f9d283ab0506297a58.JPG

The meatballs with some color on them. 

IMG_3755.thumb.JPG.5933e0b89b1f2fe50c871784176f0db5.JPG

The dish bubbling away on the  induction hob. 

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not a dumb question at all. But here it really was grilled. I brushed it with some olive oil, sprinkled it with some salt and Kerry grilled it on the outdoor barbecue over a propane flame. 

At home,  because I do not use an outdoor grill, I will do it in a grill pan on the stove top. It works equally well.

Thanks @Anna N, solved my problem. The reason I asked is that here I have never heard of grilled romain, so will be going to try it in the next day or two. Basically, when I give it a bit of thought, those romaine lettuce look a bit like baby Chinese cabbage although I know they are not. I have often found the fried heart of the Chinese cabbage in the Chinese restaurants, but have never thought about whacking a romaine lettuce onto the braai and giving it a whisper of your ceasar dressing before serving. Food for thought, as they say!

• Like 4

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

12 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Thanks @Anna N, solved my problem. The reason I asked is that here I have never heard of grilled romain, so will be going to try it in the next day or two. Basically, when I give it a bit of thought, those romaine lettuce look a bit like baby Chinese cabbage although I know they are not. I have often found the fried heart of the Chinese cabbage in the Chinese restaurants, but have never thought about whacking a romaine lettuce onto the braai and giving it a whisper of your ceasar dressing before serving. Food for thought, as they say!

If you can get a bit of smokiness into them they are really nice.  But to my mind even better is grilled radicchio!  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, JohnT said:

You might also consider braising (covered) in butter. Halved romaines brown -up deliciously.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

You might also consider braising (covered) in butter. Halved romaines brown -up deliciously.

I bet they do. Never thought of doing them that way. Love Belgian endive for you so I'm guessing I would love romaine done the same way.  Thank you for the idea.  

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_3769.thumb.JPG.394070daa33dc923c2f34bff9b37b598.JPG

Dinner. Meatballs with barberries from Jerusalem and a tomato salad from Aromas of Aleppo. A minor (since resolved) crisis involving iPhones  knocked me off my game and I forgot the final garnish on the meatball dish.

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

I recently grilled wedges of red cabbage with a caesar-ish dressing, and also a grilled napa cabbage/sui choy.  Thumbs up!

I haven't done grilled romaine, but have had it elsewhere - it's lovely. How long did you grill it for? I'm worried about over-grilling it and turning into a limp pile of sad.  It's going on this week's dinner menu - thanks for the inspiration!

• Like 4

IMG_5296.jpg.d652533ec8bbbd4b9a4bbf79735012f0.jpg

Had asked one of the nurses who's husband has an apiary for some beeswax as I want to make some canneles. 

IMG_5298.jpg.f7c2e75cf5bcbdb25a6f601399ed57c8.jpg

Lunch today - the romaine with the left over dressing, bacon and croutons.

• Like 14

IMG_5306.jpg.d6b5afda81b68c1017a8a7936abd1b74.jpg

Drink tonight - think it might be called a Bitter Moe - but can't read my own writing and can't find it on line.

IMG_5308.jpg.2c2495a932beb628eafd006f2cbb848d.jpg

Grilled pineapple - rum, brown sugar, cinnamon 

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5306.jpg.d6b5afda81b68c1017a8a7936abd1b74.jpg

Drink tonight - think it might be called a Bitter Moe - but can't read my own writing and can't find it on line.

DANG!!!! Wish I could still drink!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites