• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

6 minutes ago, oli said:

Tell me what your brownie tastes like compared to brownies we all have had numerous times before.

It looks quite different to me so I was just curious.

I'm not sure there's much you can do taste-wise with a brownie, other than the quality of the chocolate and quantity and type of sugar. I guess it's more of a texture thing with Mr Young's brownies. They're on the fudgy side. 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I had a little bit of dough left over when I made Char Siu Bao today so I made a tiny batch of tiny cinnamon rolls.

20230305_112943.thumb.jpg.04baf239ad61e5854562b7fbf3e92c0a.jpg

Each one is about two bites.

How cute, I'll take two.

• Haha 1

Kids came over for dinner today and I warmed up a chocolate cobbler and dished it up with ice cream.  In yet another testimony to the CSO, I made this thing a week ago and reheating it on steam bake made it taste like I’d just pulled it out of the oven.

Recipe here. For a quick dessert using stuff you likely have in the pantry, it’s hard to beat. I didn’t have any selfrising flour, so I used AP with soda and baking powder.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Continuing with "Snacking Cakes" I baked the carrot cake with dates. My first disappointment with this book. Not bad, just kinda boring. Good for children who won't eat vegetables, but I've had better carrot cake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always seem to have an abundance of egg whites. So in the the last couple of weeks I've put them to good use. The first port of call is usually financiers.

A buckwheat one from a Christophe Felder recipe...

BuckwheatFanancier.thumb.jpeg.3a9c10f7e0c3aefa1f7783c2378fb6bb.jpeg

And a hazelnut one by Cedric Grolet...

HazelnutFinancier.thumb.jpeg.db04c165dd4491eb4fb54df3c2a841f0.jpeg

But when I need to use up a lot of egg whites (nine!) then I make L’annécien by Maxime Frédéric...

Lannecien2.thumb.jpeg.abd665b6fdeccfdc8e1ba3117076cc91.jpeg

The texture's soft but bouncy (in a good way!). When I first made it last year it seemed to me it was basically a Gâteau Lorrain (similar to Angel Food Cake, only with butter), hence the cross...

Lannecien.thumb.jpeg.4857c0a32338a0c9aa8ee2df32e1abc5.jpeg

The Bundt version is the way to go because the mould is dusted with crunchy sugar for added interest.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, RWood said:

Mini scones. Bacon, cheddar and scallions and white chocolate, apricot and pecan. 

BCA6D8CB-F260-45BE-8036-53333D3C1C77.jpeg

Are the chocolate, apricot and pecans separate scones or are they rolled into one? I like apricots in my biscotti as it give it a contrast between in textures, but haven't used them in scones.

Edited by oli (log)

12 minutes ago, oli said:

Are the chocolate, apricot and pecans separate scones or are they rolled into one? I like apricots in my biscotti as it give it a contrast between in textures, but haven't used them in scones.

All in one. I don’t particularly like apricot or white chocolate that much, but this combination is pretty good. 

• Like 1

Yesterday I made the Sparkling Gingerbread Cake. I like a strong Ginger flavor and it seems like this one probably would have it. Wow, oh boy did it ever. It calls for a tablespoon each of fresh and powdered Ginger and a quarter cup of crystallized ginger. My fresh ginger had quite a bit of a bite as did the crystallized ginger that I had made by @liuzhou's recipe. I must say that it is the first time that I have taken a bite of cake and had it bite me back. This recipe is a keeper.

20230307_095050.thumb.jpg.e37b70a5a2564e70a7408b0643035a0b.jpg

20230307_190734.thumb.jpg.0af360ffd2482302cb02234d5007d5e6.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

3 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Yesterday I made the Sparkling Gingerbread Cake. I like a strong Ginger flavor and it seems like this one probably would have it. Wow, oh boy did it ever. It calls for a tablespoon each of fresh and powdered Ginger and a quarter cup of crystallized ginger. My fresh ginger had quite a bit of a bite as did the crystallized ginger that I had made by @liuzhou's recipe. I must say that it is the first time that I have taken a bite of cake and had it bite me back. This recipe is a keeper.

20230307_095050.thumb.jpg.e37b70a5a2564e70a7408b0643035a0b.jpg

20230307_190734.thumb.jpg.0af360ffd2482302cb02234d5007d5e6.jpg

Mr. Kim will love this.  Thanks for posting the link.  His favorite cookies that I make also use all three sorts of ginger.  I got that book from the library and it is definitely going on my wishlist.  

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Me too! I'm glad to finally find a recipe that satisfies my taste for ginger. I'll never make it any other way.

I'm not surprised that Yossy Arefi's ginger cake packs a punch. She's very generous with spices in many of the recipes in Snacking Cakes. I thought the carrot cake called for too much fresh grated nutmeg, so I cut back a bit and was glad I did. As for the sesame cake, that also has a substantial amount of tahini.but that really works for me.

Yesterday I baked the Blueberry Blackberry Ricotta Cake, mainly because my husband came back from the store with blackberries. My experience with commercial blackberries is that they are often tasteless or just off. We used to have several blackberry patches that we could pick from ourselves, and those were delicious; not any more--they've been paved over or sprouted buildings. So, these weren't the greatest blackberries. If I made it again I would just use blueberries. The cake tasted even better for breakfast this morning. So if you like blueberry muffins you will love this cake. The ricotta gives it a really nice texture. I also think cutting back a little on the sugar would be a good idea; that's not unusual for me, though with many cakes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/8/2023 at 5:54 AM, Pete Fred said:

Another day, another way to put egg whites to good use. François Payard's Chocolate-Walnut Cookie...

ChocolateWalnutCookie.thumb.png.2f4584c59d147c53c0db2ae751806458.png

I'm a fan. Very easy to make, and gluten-free if that's your thing.

Those look delicious! Is this the recipe you used? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I took some Semolina Almond Cookies (Dorie Greenspan) round to a friend's...

SemolinaAlmondCookies.thumb.png.868575b95e4bf9a97e1ec8961c02fa58.png

I had a feeling I'd posted them here a few years back, and when I checked I was a little surprised to read that I didn't particularly rate them at the time. 🤯

Not sure why. I've made them several times since and think they're delightful. I can only think they must've been better the next day and I didn't bother to follow up.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

They're Dorie's Moroccan Semolina and Almond Cookies.

She writes of them...

It was a picture in a French magazine that won my heart and set me to dreaming about what these cookies would be like. In the picture, the sugar-coated cookies were cracked — I later learned that in Morocco the cracks are often called smiles — and you could see the slightly rough crumb in the crevices. I couldn’t tell if the cookies, sometimes called ghrieba, sometimes ghoriba, would be airy or substantial, but I was betting on a shortbread-like texture, and I was right. I was also betting on a certain very agreeable graininess because of the semolina. Semolina falls somewhere on the texture continuum between whole wheat our and cornmeal; it’s golden and it’s high-gluten, which is why it’s the flour of choice for pasta. In a cookie, it provides a bit of bite and a slight grit, the kind of presence the French would call sablé, or sandy. And then there’s the almond flour, for flavor, of course, but it also adds another mysterious layer to the cookie’s surprising elegance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was very taken with the Paul A Young brownie from last week. In fact they're so good I made some more...

ChocolateBrownie.thumb.png.0e34d3a4a9b019ef111360385b3de7d3.png

This was baked a little longer (pulled at 82C) for a firmer set. The wet-look is more an artefact of dipping the knife in hot water.

There is a recipe and a video of him making them on daytime telly. (Or on YouTube if that won't play in your location.)

• Like 3

Made a pie from a 2003 Taste of Home “Quick Cooking” magazine that I brought home from my NC Grandma’s sometime years ago.  Cooking from those magazines brings back memories of her – she subscribed to all of the different Taste of Home publications and read them so carefully.  I honestly don’t know that she ever actually COOKED from them, but she loved talking about the recipes and encouraging me to make things that she’d noticed.  David Ross was also a fan of the magazine and I remember his excitement and pride when he had a recipe published.  The pie was Peanut Butter Cup Pie:

1-IMG_2466.jpg.a73290748ccf80921675bc366427e300.jpg

1-IMG_2469.jpg.35ed97b4b1407c69d11016d17f1a6eba.jpg

Just a toss together in 5 minutes, instant pudding, Cool Whip, freezer pie, but it was creamy and chocolatey.  It needed more of a peanut butter punch so next time I’ll double the Reeses cups and add either a PB ribbon or some PB powder. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3