• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

As long as blueberries are on sale, I'll keep baking with them.  Today I made this one, https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/blueberry-cornmeal-cake/   I no longer own a cast iron skillet so I made it in a 9 inch square pan.  Realize I lost some crunch-factor, but cast iron is too heavy for me now.  I found good homes for my older cast iron pieces.  

blueberrycake.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

16 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@gulfporter I saw that recipe - did you like it?  It looks really good.

Yes we both liked it....the cornmeal gives it both a good texture and taste. as does the buttermilk.  I don't yet have a mixer at my US house and I liked how easy it came together with a whisk, then a spatula.  The butter was melted when added.  

• Thanks 1

Raspberry almond tart with one lonely peach. We had this with a little sour cream ice cream. Hoping to get more excellent peaches at the FM tomorrow!

IMG_6706.jpeg

IMG_6707.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

17 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Used up some bananas in the freezer to make “Easy Banana Bread”:

IMG_8086.JPG.30863df5d38554e62fb159800fb73b60.JPG

One of the simplest recipes I have for banana bread.  You can fix it up with nuts or chocolate chips (or, best of all, peanut butter chips), but whether you do or not, it's delicious.  

I've never thought about using peanut butter chips!  Great idea!

• Thanks 1

@Kim Shook

Im not a fan of banana bread .

growing up , those made in mynhouse were dense , and heavy.

yours looks much better

looking at yourRx , ; very ripe bananas '

what would your banana bread be like w much firmer bananas ?

th kind i prefer to eat ?   mashed up of course .

45 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I've never thought about using peanut butter chips!  Great idea!

Or how about a combination of peanut butter and chocolate chips?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook

yours looks much better

I think that the firmer the bananas the less moist and dense the bread.  I've made banana bread in the past with seriously overripe bananas and found the results overwhelmingly heavy and almost sour - as if the fruit had actually fermented.  I think a lot of sins are committed by cooks eager to use up bananas rather than waste them and they use ones that really should go to the outside critters or as an occasional dog treat.  

I don't like bananas that are underripe - I get that weird astringent effect - but a perfectly ripe banana mashed up might just give you a banana bread that you like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook

yours looks much better

i don't like banana bread either.  We have banana plants on our MXN property.  I give most away, but I make a Banana Upside Down Cake using ripe, but firm bananas.  They're tasty and pretty, too!  I have also made Mary Berry's Banoffee Pie though I used a chocolate crust instead of her digestive biscuit base.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Clementine cake with pistachios and Clementine jam.  200g of whole clementines are microwaved covered for about five minutes. They get processed along with sugar, eggs, oil and yogurt.  Flour is added at the end. This is a soft and tender cake, the pistachios add some nice crunch. Not too sweet, this will also make for a nice slice at breakfast.

IMG_6757.jpeg

IMG_6768.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Tart cherry hand pies on the menu today.  These are about 4 inches across and have approximately 1/4 cup cooked cherries as the filling.  We are impatiently waiting for them to cool and set up.  Serving with some sour cream ice cream on the side.

IMG_6780.jpeg

IMG_6782.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl
Addition (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

@rotuts
https://ladyandpups.com/2014/07/03/self-made-sour-cream-gelato/

i have made this probably 4-5 times.  The last two times which were follow ups, I first made it in the ninja creami and the next day made it in my compressor machine. They were pretty comparable in taste/texture but the ninja was a heck of a lot easier.  For some reason, I wanted “ immediate” results, so used the compressor machine. It’s a favorite ice cream of ours.

ETA. I also sprinkled a little citric acid in the mix.

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ElsieD

The citric acid acts as a lemony flavor agent without introducing any liquid.

The bowl is by Bodum but I’ve had them quite a while and doubt they are still manufacturing them…but good luck!

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Thanks 1

I made a large Eccle today, turned out pretty decent.  I think I was kind of skimpy on the filling, or…I just made it to large….

IMG_9972.thumb.jpeg.545e88fc510c16c92e78f34a5350410c.jpegIMG_0008.thumb.jpeg.e9586f89a7637860ad4f12a4f008b564.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

A six inch Apricot pistachio tart, the crust is a pâte sucrée (Pierre Hermé). The pistachio/almond crème is half pistachio, half almond flour, egg, sugar and a little AP.   I had just enough filling made to make two tiny tarts with a half apricot each.

IMG_6839.jpeg

IMG_6840.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

I made some dainty scones (the British kind)...

Scone.thumb.png.625496d4cc0576d4f8cd2bdb1270c895.png

I treated myself to a cream tea using some of the mirabelle jam that I made last year...

CreamTea.thumb.png.3a41c9b88658de62579a602743bbdeee.png

Sadly there's no such thing as clotted cream in these parts. Might have to try making some myself.

(Hmmmm... I've just remembered that a local supermarket occasionally carries an Isigny fromage frais with Madagascan vanilla that might work here, being thick, creamy, and sweet rather than tangy. Will give it a go next time I see it.)

Edited by Pete Fred (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1