• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit

liuzhou

Since it's the season, I got a box of Nam Doc Mai Thai mangoes from a Vietnamese farmer in Florida. All tree ripened but shipped hard. 

PXL_20230611_133610178.thumb.jpg.11e736b19f1698eaf689749101547afe.jpg

In storage waiting....

PXL_20230611_133543890.thumb.jpg.9f5ddbd362626b57e7f03333f1ca094c.jpg

On the counter. The on one the right has been a couple days, on the left from last night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@KennethT 

would it be possible for you to be more specific on the

ordered mangos ?

maybe in a thread where others that have ordered mangos 

can contribute their experience and vendors ?

There's a Facebook group called Fruit 4 Sale.  Started by some guy who loves to eat fruit.  Now it's got a few thousand members - some of which are growers/sellers and others are people looking to buy.  It's a great resource.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@KennethT 

thank you .

Ive not chosen FB , and Linkdin, and others.

any other way to get the 

information

and indeed the experience here /

thanks.

I have no idea.  I'm not a fan of social media either.  The only people I'm 'friends' with on FB are people I know in real life - so like 12 of them!  But I do belong to a few groups - one being this fruit group, the others are gardening/hydroponic groups which have been very helpful to me over the years.

On 6/11/2023 at 9:39 AM, KennethT said:

Since it's the season, I got a box of Nam Doc Mai Thai mangoes from a Vietnamese farmer in Florida. All tree ripened but shipped hard. 

PXL_20230611_133610178.thumb.jpg.11e736b19f1698eaf689749101547afe.jpg

In storage waiting....

PXL_20230611_133543890.thumb.jpg.9f5ddbd362626b57e7f03333f1ca094c.jpg

On the counter. The on one the right has been a couple days, on the left from last night.

For the first time, they are available in NYC Chinatown. The big ones at $9.00 a lb.

I bought a few to taste, pretty good. Not so good that I will pay $9.00 a lb. I am sure the price will come down.

Interesting about these mangos, you can eat them even when they are not fully ripe.

dcarch

10 minutes ago, dcarch said:

For the first time, they are available in NYC Chinatown. The big ones at $9.00 a lb.

I bought a few to taste, pretty good. Not so good that I will pay $9.00 a lb. I am sure the price will come down.

Interesting about these mangos, you can eat them even when they are not fully ripe.

dcarch

oh yes, we've been gorging ourselves on the Chinatown ones.  My wife has been been going back there every other day.  Last week at our preferred vendor (SE corner of Mulberry and Canal), the Thai mangoes were $1 each, and then a couple days ago, there wasn't much left and they were $0.50 each!!!  Needless to say, we cleaned them out.

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@liuzhou. What kind of mangoes are they?

I'm sorry, but I only know the local Chinese names which I don't think will be of much help to you. I'm not sure how they relate to Canadian names, if at all - they may be local cultivars.

For the record, these are known as 王中王大芒果 (wáng zhōng wáng dà máng guǒ) which translates as 'King of Kings Large Mangoes'

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A fruit new to me - Rio Grande cherries or cherries of the Rio Grande or a bunch of other names that can be found here.  They taste similar to a cherry but more juicy with softer flesh and very thin skins. They are extremely fragile. 

45A1FCB1-4402-46F3-A9CA-2869765BA72C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.225fabd043d510e64c32ea5debaeab78.jpeg

Got them at the farmer's market today and will have to gobble them up in the next day or so. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

A fruit new to me - Rio Grande cherries or cherries of the Rio Grande or a bunch of other names that can be found here.  They taste similar to a cherry but more juicy with softer flesh and very thin skins. They are extremely fragile. 

45A1FCB1-4402-46F3-A9CA-2869765BA72C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.225fabd043d510e64c32ea5debaeab78.jpeg

Got them at the farmer's market today and will have to gobble them up in the next day or so. 

Pretty cool - lucky you for a new experience. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Not new, but mangosteen's are in season, just got a bag of them for $4.99/lb yesterday.

Wow, that's an amazing price for not actually being in SE Asia. Are they fresh, frozen or irradiated? Where do they come from?  I'd ask if you could ship some down to me, but I'm going to be in Indonesia next week - hopefully I'll find them at the market and gorge myself on them.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 10:58 AM, KennethT said:

Wow, that's an amazing price for not actually being in SE Asia. Are they fresh, frozen or irradiated? Where do they come from?  I'd ask if you could ship some down to me, but I'm going to be in Indonesia next week - hopefully I'll find them at the market and gorge myself on them.

And in $CDN to boot!

Fresh - absolutely unreal quality, very soft perimeter. 

Have fun in these beauty's motherland...it's the right time of year, for sure!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Corners of Chinese social media are awash with tales of the lychee season, in which we find ourselves. The main topic of corncern is the pointess if friendly argument as to which cultivar of the hundreds out there is the best. And how to recognise them.

Earlier, I was talking with a friend whose family grows them and asked her opinion. Before replying, she laughed and confessed that she had been talking part in the social media frenzy, which surprised me slightly - I hadn't marked her down as the social media type. Here for your edification are the types her family grows. With my translation.

_20230705154111.thumb.jpg.d83fb7627837a3ee279948309c97ac92.jpg

Top to Bottom

Osmanthus Flavour (4)

Ling Feng Nuo* (3)

White Sugar Poppy (1)

Glutinous Rice Cake (2)

Black Leaf (5)

Imperial Concubine Smile (6)

Numbers  in parentheses are my  friend's personal rankings.

*This is amost untranslatable. The nearest I can get is 'mountain range abundant glutinous rice'.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Black Leaf

The type that we have here is more like this one. The interesting thing is that they call them mamones. Just don't ask for them that by that name anywhere else because in some Latin countries that is the word for women's breasts.

I found out the hard way in Mexico. Rather embarrassing.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

百色 (bǎi sè, pronounced roughly like '"bye sir" without the final 'r) literally means "100 Colours" but is a small city in western Guangxi, China near the border with Yunnan province. Mst of the population are of the Zhuang ethnic minority.

Baisw is rather well-known in Chinese Communist Party history for the Baise Uprising led on Dec 11, 1929 by Deng Xiaoping, Mao's eventual successor. The city has a number of memorials and a largish museum dedicated to the event and sees a lot of so-called 'Red Tourism', mainly old veterans of the Long March and the Revolution. A dying breed. Otherwise, it sees very few visitors, especially from abroad.

For most people here it is better known for fruit, especially its mangoes. China's mango central. There are mango trees everywhere. The first time I visited, some 20 years ago, it was at the height of the season and the mangoes were virtually free.

This year they have gone further. There has been a bumber crop and the mangoes are dropping like rain. This tree below was so overloaded with fruit it was dangerous. A mechanical device was brought in to dislodge the fruit, which was then left on the ground for anyone to take away. Few did; they all have their own glut to deal with.

_20230706045336.thumb.jpg.9c6aae3c0c6ae5a3ab01f94d009c2a45.jpg

Of course, this is not good news for the farmers so the local government has stepped in with subsidies and other help to see them through.

_20230706045319.thumb.jpg.0e319cdff7763562a59b5ba9e2330c70.jpg

In other news, across Guangxi, other fruits are receiving similar treatment.

_20230706045255.thumb.jpg.35addb0ca75bc165bf565e1224bbc693.jpg

Jackfruit

and if you drop your box of mangoes on the way home, don't bother to pick them up. They were amost free anyway.

_20230706045328.thumb.jpg.c1a1671cf5a49305b7598e2e11a8fed2.jpg

ETA: Minutes after posting the above, a friend from Baise called to ask if I want some lemons! They have too many of them, too!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

百色 (bǎi sè, pronounced roughly like '"bye sir" without the final 'r) literally means "100 Colours" but is a small city in western Guangxi, China near the border with Yunnan province. Mst of the population are of the Zhuang ethnic minority.

Baisw is rather well-known in Chinese Communist Party history for the Baise Uprising led on Dec 11, 1929 by Deng Xiaoping, Mao's eventual successor. The city has a number of memorials and a largish museum dedicated to the event and sees a lot of so-called 'Red Tourism', mainly old veterans of the Long March and the Revolution. A dying breed. Otherwise, it sees very few visitors, especially from abroad.

For most people here it is better known for fruit, especially its mangoes. China's mango central. There are mango trees everywhere. The first time I visited, some 20 years ago, it was at the height of the season and the mangoes were virtually free.

This year they have gone further. There has been a bumber crop and the mangoes are dropping like rain. This tree below was so overloaded with fruit it was dangerous. A mechanical device was brought in to dislodge the fruit, which was then left on the ground for anyone to take away. Few did; they all have their own glut to deal with.

_20230706045336.thumb.jpg.9c6aae3c0c6ae5a3ab01f94d009c2a45.jpg

Of course, this is not good news for the farmers so the local government has stepped in with subsidies and other help to see them through.

_20230706045319.thumb.jpg.0e319cdff7763562a59b5ba9e2330c70.jpg

In other news, across Guangxi, other fruits are receiving similar treatment.

_20230706045255.thumb.jpg.35addb0ca75bc165bf565e1224bbc693.jpg

Jackfruit

and if you drop your box of mangoes on the way home, don't bother to pick them up. They were amost free anyway.

_20230706045328.thumb.jpg.c1a1671cf5a49305b7598e2e11a8fed2.jpg

ETA: Minutes after posting the above, a friend from Baise called to ask if I want some lemons! They have too many of them, too!

I picked the wrong place to vacation this year!!!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

I picked the wrong place to vacation this year!!!

I actually had those pictures when you were still in Indonesia but decided to wait till you were home before posting them. I knew you were sick and didn't want to make it worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

At last, the California nectarines are coming into their own! Considering the weather in the San Joaquin Valley this year, I'm surprised and very pleased that any of the crop has survived. What's even better is that the "tree ripe" fruit finally is.

I'm wallowing in good, sweet, tart nectarines while I can!

20230722_090605.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

40 minutes ago, Smithy said:

At last, the California nectarines are coming into their own! Considering the weather in the San Joaquin Valley this year, I'm surprised and very pleased that any of the crop has survived. What's even better is that the "tree ripe" fruit finally is.

Most of the stone fruit brought into our local farmers markets has been very late this year but they have good crops.  They are still bringing cling peaches (the early season varieties) and haven't started on the freestones yet.  Ken's Top Notch comes down from Reedely in Fresno Co, Murray Family Farms is outside of Bakersfield and Tenerelli Orchards comes over from the Antelope Valley. They all got lots of rain but were spared the devastating flooding we see on the news in the Tulare Lake area.  The winter stayed consistently cool with no heat waves and no big freezes so the trees got good chill hours without frost damage.  It was also a cool, mild spring and early summer which the growers say has made the fruit sweeter.  I hope the season continues to go well as it's warming up now.

I read that the Georgia and South Carolina peach crops were badly affected by the warm winter weather followed by March freezes this year so maybe CA fruit can take up some of the slack!

• Like 5

I just ate some SC freestone peaches that were pretty good. Nectarines have been very good this year, cherries not so good, they have been from CA rather than WA, which I prefer.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde