Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

 

I think that's the same as the Francis I had purchased from my street corner guy.

 

In Chinatown this morning, lots of mangoes - especially the champagne variety.  They were going at 4 for $5...nice size. Mott St., Mulberry St., wherever.

  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stunning cherries today. From Stockton, CA - Central Valley of Califorbia. Plump, juicy, extremely flavorful. Pricey at $6/pound but worth it

cherries.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't know that they grew cherries in Stockton, and I'd never have guessed that they'd be ready by now. Thanks for the reality check!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shoprite had their first cherries of the season but I did not note where they were from.  I'm still waiting for some local asparagus.

 

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Shoprite had their first cherries of the season but I did not note where they were from.  I'm still waiting for some local asparagus.

 

 

Probably Cali, and probably not Bings yet - here's a good calendar of varieties and their seasons in Cali...

 

https://www.pickyourown.org/CAcherryharvestcalendar.htm

  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Smithy said:

I didn't know that they grew cherries in Stockton, and I'd never have guessed that they'd be ready by now. Thanks for the reality check!

I did not do my research. They are marketd by a company in Stockton but orchard location in California - don't know.  https://www.growerdirect.net/cherries  I am old enough that I remember cherry picking expeditions  to Cherry Valley, Riverside County, CA  Thing of the past. Wiki says mostly homes now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw Raniers at WF this week, but I know its too early for them to be good (esp at that price). Cherries purchased today at Shoprite were from California. They are smaller than the ones from Washington state that I usually buy, but those don’t seem to be here yet.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

My local California cherry report:  Murray Family Farms from near Bakersfield in the San Joaquin Valley has been bringing cherries to our local farmers market for over a month now. It was a bit of an early start for them.  Brooks and Rainiers were first.  Bings have been there the last 2 weeks along with GG1s.  This past week, Lamberts showed up and a few other varieties that I failed to take note of.   I think they will be done soon, at least for the ones they bring to our market. I think they sell all their sour cherries at their farmstands or maybe larger markets like Santa Monica.  Another farmer had them for ~ 3 weeks but is now done.  He's also San Joaquin Valley, but a little further south. 

 

The U-pick place I usually go to is near Lancaster, CA in the Leona Valley.  Their first picking day will be this coming Friday, June 3.  Brooks are always first for them, too, followed by Rainiers and then Bings.

 

 

 

Edited by blue_dolphin
type (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Here is one most of you may not know.

 

Known here as 五指毛桃果 (wǔ zhǐ máo táo guǒ, literally five-finger hairy peach fruit), these are Ficus simplicissima Lour., a type of Asian fig. In the local Zhuang language, they are known as 牛奶子niú nǎi zǐ- meaning ‘milk') because of its milky interior. It'd call it 'sap' rather then milk. It also 'bleeds' from the stems.

They are slightly sweet and, even here, kind of rare.

 

566910925__20220625175309.thumb.jpg.8f071226234290ce72ea941fe4b12040.jpg

 

1987383114__20220625175319.thumb.jpg.22aecfa518a24f49dd9a0116ea649e1c.jpg

 

1179260922__20220625175356.thumb.jpg.bf90ae68ac11faabfd605752afd7ca6a.jpg

 

1741469526__20220625175338.thumb.jpg.ab3e7a6952da6c7390d7d59b7d61c382.jpg

 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Here is one most of you may not know.

 

Known here as 五指毛桃果 (wǔ zhǐ máo táo guǒ, literally five-finger hairy peach fruit), these are Ficus simplicissima Lour., a type of Asian fig. In the local Zhuang language, they are known as 牛奶子niú nǎi zǐ- meaning ‘milk') because of its milky interior. It'd call it 'sap' rather then milk. It also 'bleeds' from the stems.

They are slightly sweet and, even here, kind of rare.

 

566910925__20220625175309.thumb.jpg.8f071226234290ce72ea941fe4b12040.jpg

 

1987383114__20220625175319.thumb.jpg.22aecfa518a24f49dd9a0116ea649e1c.jpg

 

1179260922__20220625175356.thumb.jpg.bf90ae68ac11faabfd605752afd7ca6a.jpg

 

1741469526__20220625175338.thumb.jpg.ab3e7a6952da6c7390d7d59b7d61c382.jpg

 

Are these related to the Trai va fig I saw in central Vietnam?  They're supposedly really uncommon (only exist in central Vietnam) but are picked green.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Are these related to the Trai va fig I saw in central Vietnam?  They're supposedly really uncommon (only exist in central Vietnam) but are picked green.

 

If not the same thing, they are very closely related. I've been told mine only exist here, too. Not so.

  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

 

If not the same thing, they are very closely related. I've been told mine only exist here, too. Not so.

Sorry - I misremembered.  According to my notes, the trai va only exist in Hue - not even all of central Vietnam!

 

20170706_183138.thumb.jpg.7e7e385f27353d1e800821bc260a5dab.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Sorry - I misremembered.  According to my notes, the trai va only exist in Hue - not even all of central Vietnam!

 

 

 

Yeah. I've had tra vai tea in Huế.

  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, curls said:


How easy is it to climb the tree? Wondering if the lychee fruit higher up is harvested by humans or birds and other critters.

 

I've never tried to climb the tree - I can hardly climb the stairs to my apartment, at my age! Harvesting is mainly done by people up ladders, although I'm sure the birds and other critters get a few.
|
There are images of the harvest upthread here.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

@KennethT

 

Not a lot of these in Iceland, I'd wager. $1.30 USD / 500 grams in the supermarket this morning

 

Mangosteens.thumb.jpg.6da49d65a11f706b78877aca2360fe02.jpg

 

Holy crap! No- none in Iceland that I've found. I did have a couple of decent apples from France though.,.. ha! I can now get them in NY for around $5 each!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...