Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

rotuts

DARTO pans

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

 

Yes. I must admit that the reports from @blue_dolphin have quelled any recent urge I've had to splurge on one of these pans. The condition of @kayb' is much less daunting. 

 

I enjoy admiring the finished results, though! Kudos to those of you willing to put in the work.

 

At least they received theirs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

At least they received theirs.

 

 

I haven’t gotten even a shipping notice yet that I can find. I did the pre-sale around the same time as everyone else, I think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@quiet1

 

email them.   they responded to me , my pans will come at the end of Nov.

 

I think , but am not sure , that they only send out the notice when they are close to shipping that order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, quiet1 said:

 

I haven’t gotten even a shipping notice yet that I can find. I did the pre-sale around the same time as everyone else, I think.

 

I got my shipping notice from DHL immediately after it was shipped and they had picked it up.  I didn't receive anything directly from DARTO.  They said they would ship them by the end of November and I rather expected that mine would be shipped on the very last day since that's par for the course for me,  but I lucked out and got them a bit earlier this time. 

 

Seasoning is functionally complete.  

fullsizeoutput_384a.thumb.jpeg.e1fec625ba3e14f6cdae223c930a63eb.jpeg

Just for looks,  I may give the skillet a few rounds in the oven to get the handle.  I did oil it for the first few rounds but as has been observed above by others, the handles don't get hot enough on the stovetop to oxidize the oil. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

 

I got my shipping notice from DHL immediately after it was shipped and they had picked it up.  I didn't receive anything directly from DARTO.  They said they would ship them by the end of November and I rather expected that mine would be shipped on the very last day since that's par for the course for me,  but I lucked out and got them a bit earlier this time. 

 

Seasoning is functionally complete.  

fullsizeoutput_384a.thumb.jpeg.e1fec625ba3e14f6cdae223c930a63eb.jpeg

Just for looks,  I may give the skillet a few rounds in the oven to get the handle.  I did oil it for the first few rounds but as has been observed above by others, the handles don't get hot enough on the stovetop to oxidize the oil. 

 

Wow, those look gorgeous. What was your seasoning process?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful, @blue_dolphin  They look great now. How many coats did you end up doing? I’ve seen mention of six, ten even? More??

 

Have you cooked with them yet?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

 

Wow, those look gorgeous. What was your seasoning process?

 

After I cleaned off the sticky gunk, I used the method in this video from Vollrath.  Stovetop, very thin layers of oil. Times 10.  

 

 

It's pretty much the same as DARTO's video, except using flax oil instead of corn.

 

I ended up just using steel wool for the initial clean up because of how much sticky gunk was on them.  Not sure that would be necessary if the pans weren't so dirty.  

 

4 minutes ago, &roid said:

Beautiful, @blue_dolphin  They look great now. How many coats did you end up doing? I’ve seen mention of six, ten even? More??

 

Have you cooked with them yet?

 

 

I did at least 10 coats.  I was doing 5  pans and I forgot to mark down my count at first so a couple of them may have gotten a few bonus coats.

I cooked some bacon in the big one and did a fried egg test on the two smaller ones and they passed.  I'm looking forward to some real cooking now!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW,

I'm still waiting for a cookbook shipped via DHL from Waldenbooks in Horseheads, NY (about 20 miles away at the time) back in the '90s!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×