• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paella Pans: The Discussion

vkrn

17 hours ago, weinoo said:

Yet you write you gave up on that one, no?

I use a small enameled steel paella

Paellasocarrat11-22(1).thumb.jpeg.52175bb5294456bc9db5582d133d9fc2.jpeg

only when I'm making a small amount of paella for the two of us. But I use a classic paella otherwise...

Paellachicken06-03.jpeg.303524627f326ada3b9ab467d0557241.jpeg

Of which I have 2 (or 3) sizes.

PaellaIMG_E0396.jpeg.03dc326091b5ebdd5aaf76d968af55f5.jpeg

I am confused?  To the best of my knowledge I have never possessed nor used an enameled steel paella.  Years ago when I would occasionally cook for company I made paella in a large stainless steel Cuisinart.  Last time was possibly in 1999 or 2000.  No problem with that Cuisinart pan other that I am not trying to feed eight people.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 3/9/2024 at 8:49 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

never been to Spain

Great song, and many covers to choose from!  I like Three Dog Night's version.

The big problem with using "regular" pans for paella is they're too small to make enough servings.  And of course the problem with real paella pans is a "regular" hob is too small.

• Like 1

This is the one I used last night...

image.png.2b58aac46599c6c7fe0d173b2ab5ca9d.png

It's most likely the 34cm paella.  Which is certainly not too small for feeding 2 people. As a matter of fact, we'll have the leftovers steam re-heated, for lunch.

I've also used two larger sizes to make paella for gusts, with no problems. Either by attending the pan and/or by using it over 2 burners.  It's called understanding your stove and pans.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?