Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panning - but not for gold!


Kerry Beal
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello panners! 

Have acquired my kitchenaid panning attachment and having fun! Finding what seems like an awful lot of chocolate is ending up stuck to the drum by the end of a batch. Is this normal or is there a way to reduce waste while panning? 

Thank you! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dark side said:

Hello panners! 

Have acquired my kitchenaid panning attachment and having fun! Finding what seems like an awful lot of chocolate is ending up stuck to the drum by the end of a batch. Is this normal or is there a way to reduce waste while panning? 

Thank you! 

It's a dance you do when coating - you heat carefully (and slowly) the outside of the pan in strips from front to back. This melts the chocolate on the pan which then coats the product. The dance is between heating the outside, cooling the inside. You will have a gloriously clean pan when you are done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

It's a dance you do when coating - you heat carefully (and slowly) the outside of the pan in strips from front to back. This melts the chocolate on the pan which then coats the product. The dance is between heating the outside, cooling the inside. You will have a gloriously clean pan when you are done. 

Those results sounds impeccable. I didnt realise heating the outside was necessary.. A heat gun?  Any good tutorial videos you could point me to? 

So if the drum is warm and the centres are cold that would be a good first step?

 

I thought maybe my batch sizes were too small and the chocolate i was pouring in was just making more contact with the drum because there were enough "fillers."

Also, do you use tempered or untempered chocolate? Ive been using tempered, maybe that is contributing to build up. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dark side said:

Those results sounds impeccable. I didnt realise heating the outside was necessary.. A heat gun?  Any good tutorial videos you could point me to? 

So if the drum is warm and the centres are cold that would be a good first step?

 

I thought maybe my batch sizes were too small and the chocolate i was pouring in was just making more contact with the drum because there were enough "fillers."

Also, do you use tempered or untempered chocolate? Ive been using tempered, maybe that is contributing to build up. 

 

I use either a heat gun or a hair dryer.

 

Warm just a strip of the drum -keep the cooling going in the centers.

 

untempered always 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I use either a heat gun or a hair dryer.

 

Warm just a strip of the drum -keep the cooling going in the centers.

 

untempered always 

I don't actually use a cooling tool either...😬 I guess the chocolate build-up might be my sacrifice for not using heating/cooling. 

 

What temp melted chocolate do you recommend?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dark side said:

I don't actually use a cooling tool either...😬 I guess the chocolate build-up might be my sacrifice for not using heating/cooling. 

 

What temp melted chocolate do you recommend?

 

35-37 º C. Do you have access to dry ice?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For my next querie- this youtube video of candy coated chocolate eggs. What temp/stage do you think she's cooked her sugar solution to?

 

 

 

Edited by Dark side (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Dark side said:

For my next querie- this youtube video of candy coated chocolate eggs. What temp/stage do you think she's cooked her sugar solution to?

 

 

 

70-80% solids - I don't know if that's a much a temperature thing or a add 70 -80% solids to water and bring to a boil. Note in this article that a more dilute syrup is used at the end to smooth which she didn't do - as I recall it's just a matter of taking the existing syrup - adding a bit more water and applying that. Dragees

 

Here's my dextrose panning instructions - 

 

Dextrose Panning

 

2200 grams dextrose monohydrate

300 grams water

4500 grams centers

 

80% solids - bring water and dextrose just to a boil

to the 4500 grams of centres wet surface just enough - then charge with 150 grams of dry dextrose

add second charge of syrup when surface appears to be drying - don’t let it get dusty

continue until you use up about 2/3 of your syrup - to the remainder add colour (make sure your colour contains no sucrose) -

add 5% water to the remaining syrup and use to smooth

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dark side said:

For my next querie- this youtube video of candy coated chocolate eggs. What temp/stage do you think she's cooked her sugar solution to?

 

 

 

Here is another eG topic on sugar panning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/5/2022 at 4:14 AM, Kerry Beal said:

70-80% solids - I don't know if that's a much a temperature thing or a add 70 -80% solids to water and bring to a boil. Note in this article that a more dilute syrup is used at the end to smooth which she didn't do - as I recall it's just a matter of taking the existing syrup - adding a bit more water and applying that. Dragees

 

Here's my dextrose panning instructions - 

 

Dextrose Panning

 

2200 grams dextrose monohydrate

300 grams water

4500 grams centers

 

80% solids - bring water and dextrose just to a boil

to the 4500 grams of centres wet surface just enough - then charge with 150 grams of dry dextrose

add second charge of syrup when surface appears to be drying - don’t let it get dusty

continue until you use up about 2/3 of your syrup - to the remainder add colour (make sure your colour contains no sucrose) -

add 5% water to the remaining syrup and use to smooth

Thanks Kerry, this recipe might prove helpful! Wondering what the purpose of dextrose is, instead of regular cane sugar which is what I primarily work with.  Any thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Dark side said:

Thanks Kerry, this recipe might prove helpful! Wondering what the purpose of dextrose is, instead of regular cane sugar which is what I primarily work with.  Any thoughts?

Dextrose panning is a whole lot easier than sucrose panning - goes a whole lot faster and gives a shell with a cooling feel to the mouth. I added it though to illustrate how to make 80% solids syrup and that you don't need to boil it to a particular temperature. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/8/2022 at 2:37 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Dextrose panning is a whole lot easier than sucrose panning - goes a whole lot faster and gives a shell with a cooling feel to the mouth. I added it though to illustrate how to make 80% solids syrup and that you don't need to boil it to a particular temperature. 

 

Got some dextrose. Hoping to try it today! 🤞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Wear a mask! Gets dusty 

Lord knows I’ve got those around lol.
question for your dextrose recipe. Is the full 2200 g added to the water, or is 150g dry charge set aside first and 2050g added to the water?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...