• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yup.  Dinner tonight was three bowls of ice cream.  I tried Frutero for the first time and am ordering more.

@JoNorvelleWalker thanks for recommending Frutero, I hadn’t tried it before. I went to Whole Foods today and got the  Frutero passion fruit and mango flavors. Also picked up McConnell’s double peanut butter chip and vanilla flavors. When I got home, I sampled the Frutero passion fruit and it is yummy! Nice and creamy with good passion fruit flavor. Will probably return and pick up a few more pints while this sale is running.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I’ve heard positive things about Frutero, which flavor did you get? I had half the pint of Jeni’s for lunch yesterday🙃

I first tried Coconut, Passion Fruit, and Guava.  I fell in love with the Passion Fruit and coconut.  The Guava was perfectly good, but I liked the other two flavors better.

This evening's Whole Foods delivery brought Mango and Guanabana, as well as another pint of Passion Fruit.  And Frutero's pints are actually real pints!

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I first tried Coconut, Passion Fruit, and Guava.  I fell in love with the Passion Fruit and coconut.  The Guava was perfectly good, but I liked the other two flavors better.

This evening's Whole Foods delivery brought Mango and Guanabana, as well as another pint of Passion Fruit.  And Frutero's pints are actually real pints!

Well, now I’ll have to try the coconut too! Please report back on the mango and the guanbana.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Does anyone know when the Whole Foods ice cream sale ends?

Sale runs thru 16 July.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also Amazon Prime Day is 16th-17th, so WF will have interesting discounts.   I use Amazon Fresh sometimes and I'm getting early Prime offers already.   Not buying though.  yet.

This information will be of no use to anyone here other than me but this cropped up today.

1kg / 2.2 lbs of live wild oysters (20-30 molluscs) for ¥12.80. That is the equivalent of $1.76 USD.

oysterbox.thumb.jpg.e74d47f12cf9a01bd693372b44a0d59a.jpg

oysters.thumb.jpg.b62faeed99fc0e1da4ae7c804c7564d5.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 7/6/2024 at 8:59 PM, curls said:

Well, now I’ll have to try the coconut too! Please report back on the mango and the guanbana.

The Guanabana is fragrant but astringent.  I doubt I'll buy again.  I have yet to try the Mango.

• Thanks 1

It was too hot to sleep, so at 5:00 am I had a bowl of Mango.  So far Mango is my least favorite flavor (I have not purchased Pineapple).  The underripe mango is not puréed, but rather remains in unpleasant chunks.  I've made much better mango ice cream in the Creami.

Plan is to stock up on Coconut and Passionfruit before the Whole Foods ice cream sale is over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It was too hot to sleep, so at 5:00 am I had a bowl of Mango.  So far Mango is my least favorite flavor (I have not purchased Pineapple).  The underripe mango is not puréed, but rather remains in unpleasant chunks.  I've made much better mango ice cream in the Creami.

Plan is to stock up on Coconut and Passionfruit before the Whole Foods ice cream sale is over.

I love mango anything but I've stopped buying frozen mango that comes in chunks.  It seemed that none of it was ripe.  I now use pureed frozen mango I buy in a Latino grocery as well as canned Alphonso puree.

• Like 3

On 7/9/2024 at 1:19 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I sampled the mango Fruitero ice cream tonight and am in complete agreement with you. Planning to go to the store tomorrow to stock up on passionfruit and coconut. Will probably pick up some more McConnell’s ice cream too. This summer is made for enjoying frozen desserts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, curls said:

I sampled the mango Fruitero ice cream tonight and am in complete agreement with you. Planning to go to the store tomorrow to stock up on passionfruit and coconut. Will probably pick up some more McConnell’s ice cream too. This summer is made for enjoying frozen desserts.

I am also a fan of McConnell's.  Wish my Whole Foods had more flavors.

• Like 2

Inspecting Prime Day offerings that I might care about: Tonnino tuna in jars 6-pk.   Looks like the Yellowfin in olive oil and spring water only deviate from the 2022 prices by +.40 cents.   The Ventresca jars 6-pk increaase is a little less than +$3 USD per pack vs 2022.

These are Prime Day pricing comparisons from different years.

Edited by lemniscate
clarity (log)
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Inspecting Prime Day offerings that I might care about: Tonnino tuna in jars 6-pk.   Looks like the Yellowfin in olive oil and spring water only deviate from the 2022 prices by +.40 cents.   The Ventresca jars 6-pk increaase is a little less than +$3 USD per pack vs 2022.

These are Prime Day pricing comparisons from different years.

Do you mean this 6-pack of jarred Tonnino tuna (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)? It looks interesting, but I wonder how I'd like oregano mixed in with it. I'd be more inclined to go without the oregano. 

Edited to add: my bad, I found the equivalent 6-pack without oregano (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).

Edited by Smithy
Added additional link (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I haven't found anything that wowed me except an ice maker that makes ice like Sonic--nugget shaped, my favorite.  It's on sale for like $450 down from $600 something.  Still couldn't justify buying it.....I don't have room anyway unless I put it by my bed like @JoNorvelleWalkerlol.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

Do you mean this 6-pack of jarred Tonnino tuna (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)? It looks interesting, but I wonder how I'd like oregano mixed in with it. I'd be more inclined to go without the oregano. 

Edited to add: my bad, I found the equivalent 6-pack without oregano (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)  Tonnino Tuna Filet,Olive Oil 6.7 Oz (Pack Of 6)

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link) Tonnino Tuna Filet, Spring Water 6.7 Oz (Pack Of 6)

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link) Tonnino Tuna Ventresca 6.7 Oz (Pack Of 6)

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link) Tonnino Tuna Oregano 6.7 Oz (Pack Of 6)

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)  Tonnino Tuna Garlic 6.7 Oz (Pack Of 6)

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)  Tonnino Lemon Pepper 6.7 Oz (Pack Of 6)

All of the offerings above show a Prime Day deal, but the $$ varies by flavors.

• Like 2

Amazon pricing for me is a bit of a lottery.  Literally watching prices go up after I click them.  I was looking at some 3400-size fishing tackle boxes that were shown for $4.79 and they went to $5.86 as I put them in my cart.  A lot of the food items are more expensive than at my local rural grocery store as well though, Amazon still has things I can't get locally.  A real love vs. hate PRIME day for me at Amazon.

2 hours ago, Sid Post said:

Amazon pricing for me is a bit of a lottery.  Literally watching prices go up after I click them.  I was looking at some 3400-size fishing tackle boxes that were shown for $4.79 and they went to $5.86 as I put them in my cart.

It can be kind of a crap shoot. Do you use https://camelcamelcamel.com to get an idea of price swings on an item? I've found it quite helpful and have used their email price alerts several times though haven’t used it specifically on Prime Day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2024 at 10:55 AM, blue_dolphin said:

It can be kind of a crap shoot. Do you use https://camelcamelcamel.com to get an idea of price swings on an item? I've found it quite helpful and have used their email price alerts several times though haven’t used it specifically on Prime Day. 

Yep, camelcamelcamel is the best way to go for Amazon price monitoring, at least for me.

• Like 3