• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco

geoff

Indeed, Costco's roast chicken is better than any other, in fact it is infinitely better yet if served while still warm (without prior refrigeration) - try it for yourself sometime and compare).

Here, Costco's meat and seafood is way better than anything in the local grocery stores.  For me it's a long 35 minute drive to get there so I don't go very often anymore, maybe every three months or so.  I cook most days for only myself so it's hard to justify the sizes sold.  I have a big freezer and a big garage so I still stock up on their paper products and I buy their steelhead, beef, pork and chicken plus products from the pharmacy.  For me it's worth the price of admission just to be able to buy better quality.

It'd be even more worthwhile if it could sell alcohol!

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

My sister-in-law has a Costco membership, and when we visit I've enjoyed their rotisserie chicken as well as their crab-stuffed salmon.  Now THERE'S something I would buy regularly if we had a Costco nearby.  Better still, eventually I'd like to learn to duplicate it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I forgot to mention the wine, beer, and spirits. Oftentimes, their Kirkland brand spirits are a famous label offered at a 30-50% discount. Yes, the selection is bare bones, especially with spirits and beer, but, there are definitely some good savings to be had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lisa Shock said:

I forgot to mention the wine, beer, and spirits. Oftentimes, their Kirkland brand spirits are a famous label offered at a 30-50% discount. Yes, the selection is bare bones, especially with spirits and beer, but, there are definitely some good savings to be had.

Except in PA. :(

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

My sister-in-law has a Costco membership, and when we visit I've enjoyed their rotisserie chicken as well as their crab-stuffed salmon.  Now THERE'S something I would buy regularly if we had a Costco nearby.  Better still, eventually I'd like to learn to duplicate it.

Here is a recent post I found that might be of interest for you. https://abernathysrabbitry.com/2014/06/23/copycat-costco-seafood-stuffed-salmon/

Kay

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kayswv said:

Here is a recent post I found that might be of interest for you. https://abernathysrabbitry.com/2014/06/23/copycat-costco-seafood-stuffed-salmon/

Kay

It might indeed!  Thanks. :)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My DW and I have the Executive membership. We both take multiple maintenance drugs and Costco is far superior in service and price than traditional drug stores, and I live populated southern California. Because of the purchasing for my seasonal ren faire kitchens as well as year-round shopping for home the yearly rebate not only pays for the membership but we get a tidy sum ($100+) to use on splurges. And here in So Can the gas prices can't be beat.

The bottled water and paper towels are also in the top 5 sellers.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 1 month later...

I purchased these a few months ago and am just now posting a review.  I was impressed with the packaging - beans in a sealed glass tube promised something fresh and flavorful.  However, when used in a flan and in a pudding, there was more disappointment than flavor.  While the price was good (not great), the value was lacking. These were the weakest beans I've ever used.  Not recommended at all.

Costco Vanilla Beans.jpg

• Like 1

... Shel

Yeah I have to agree on these... I don't think mine have been as bad as you describe, I have used them for some ice creams and things with pretty good results. However, while the flavor was present, there was no punch at all, and each time I felt I wanted just a little bit more. Have you ever tried Mexican vanilla beans? I have read that they are more along the lines of what a vanilla fan would want, deeper and more prominent. I have never purchased them because I have only been able to find them in quantities that were too large, or else the price seemed very steep. 

I had been looking forward to vanilla beans showing up at my Costco but not so much now.  I haven't tried them, but last year I went with the intention of buying them only to find they were no longer stocked.  Still, I'd be interested in knowing the price at Costco just as a cost benchmark.

12 minutes ago, rustwood said:

I had been looking forward to vanilla beans showing up at my Costco but not so much now.  I haven't tried them, but last year I went with the intention of buying them only to find they were no longer stocked.  Still, I'd be interested in knowing the price at Costco just as a cost benchmark.

If I remember right, those two tubes (10 beans) shown in the top pic are around $13.

• Like 1

This was a bad year for vanilla, the price has skyrocketed. There's a chance that Costco decided against carrying them due to the price. Even extract Grade-B beans are less plentiful and cost about 4 times as much as they did two years ago on eBay.

2 hours ago, rustwood said:

Mine were about $13.00 for ten beans.  Bought them a few months ago - maybe six months back.

• Like 1

... Shel

Costco frozen scallops are not bad at all. I just bought a bag as an experiment and sauteed up a few.  The trimming was a little careless... I had to snip off some muscle.  And they weren't the biggest diver scallops ever.  But when thawed they gave off very little fluid and smelled fine. They sauteed nicely and tasted sweet. Nice to have in reserve.

011.jpg

• Like 7

Costco is also utterly fabulous about returns, even opened containers of food.  Their Kirkland Signature brand items are guaranteed 100%.

And, if you stop at the Costco at US highway 10 and Main Street in Coon Rapids, MN on a Monday, Tuesday or Thursday, you might get a sample from me.

• Like 6
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

15 hours ago, Mysstwalker said:

Costco Rotisserie Chicken Salad is like crack for me, I dont know why but it is just amazing. We finally renewed our membership since we got a price break from Tyson, so we are going tomorrow, first Costco trip in 3 years, I cant wait!!

A lot of their stuff is oddly addictive. I grew up on costco rotisserie chicken every Sunday! I still remember walking with my mom and basically having lunch by the end of the day....because of all the samples.

• Like 1

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

One day when I'm working, I should count how many of these chickens walk out.

They can only stay on the warming table for a certain period of time, after which they take them into the deli and harvest the breast meat for things like salads, chicken Alfredo, etc. And then package 8 leg thigh quarters into foil trays which they sell for $4.99 (price at my Costco, I font know if the price is the same at the other U.S. Costco's).

I've demo'd their chicken salad several times, and the consistence is different with harvested rotisserie breast meat than it is with the other pre cooked breast meat they use.

• Like 2
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

12 hours ago, nonkeyman said:

A lot of their stuff is oddly addictive. I grew up on costco rotisserie chicken every Sunday! I still remember walking with my mom and basically having lunch by the end of the day....because of all the samples.

We sampled some of their beef sirloin tamales today, and they were really good, so some came home with us. I have had a gastric bypass, so very small stomach, so for me, going to Costco is like going out for lunch only free!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mysstwalker said:

We sampled some of their beef sirloin tamales today, and they were really good, so some came home with us. I have had a gastric bypass, so very small stomach, so for me, going to Costco is like going out for lunch only free!

How do they know what to give us for samples...it works every time...you go in for toilet paper and leave with enough food to open your own restaurant

• Like 4

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

• 1 month later...

And that bottle sells for US$ 14,160.00 here in South Africa.:shock:

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Makes a nice stocking stuffer...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning