Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

DianaM

The Bread Topic (2016-)

Recommended Posts

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 12:37 AM, Ann_T said:

5a1f98a676481_SteamOvenNovember29th20171.thumb.jpg.ca087c5ada28e6b709926646fcabdeb0.jpg

 

Baked my first bread in the CSO tonight.  Started the dough after 2:30 this afternoon and the bread just came out of the oven at 9:00 PM.

 

Made a 500g batch at 72% hydration.  The loaf upfront is the one baked in the CSO.  The one in the background was baked in a Waring counter-top oven.  

 

Both baked on stones.   I have some 7" stones and one was perfect in the CSO for a round/boule.

 

Ann, you obviously have your mixing and proofing down perfect.  Could you please say more about your methods?  (I realize you may already have at some point.)  Particularly for your baguettes.

 

Since studying Modernist Bread I've switched over to using my KitchenAid for mixing.  None of my recent baguettes have come out with the expected nice open crumb and the scarification is disappointing, though taste has been pretty much OK.  The loaves are not cottony or anything.

 

In contrast my boules I have been quite pleased with, and more often than not the scarification is beautiful...from the same batch of dough as the baguettes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

Ann, you obviously have your mixing and proofing down perfect.  Could you please say more about your methods?  (I realize you may already have at some point.)  Particularly for your baguettes.

 

Since studying Modernist Bread I've switched over to using my KitchenAid for mixing.  None of my recent baguettes have come out with the expected nice open crumb and the scarification is disappointing, though taste has been pretty much OK.  The loaves are not cottony or anything.

 

In contrast my boules I have been quite pleased with, and more often than not the scarification is beautiful...from the same batch of dough as the baguettes.

 

 

Bread is weird. It frustrates me

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JoNorvelleWalker,   For the last four years I've been making all my breads by hand using the stretch and fold method.  Haven't pulled the Magic Mill out of the cupboard since.

 

I will often make a batch or two of dough and after the last stretch and fold, leave it in the fridge for 2 to 4 days before baking.   About the only thing I change is the hydration. Usually between 68% to 76%. 

I did a pictorial on my blog a few years ago.  Here is the link.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@JoNorvelleWalker,   For the last four years I've been making all my breads by hand using the stretch and fold method.  Haven't pulled the Magic Mill out of the cupboard since.

 

I will often make a batch or two of dough and after the last stretch and fold, leave it in the fridge for 2 to 4 days before baking.   About the only thing I change is the hydration. Usually between 68% to 76%. 

I did a pictorial on my blog a few years ago.  Here is the link.

 

Interesting and very helpful.  For decades I'd been using Zojirushi bread machines to mix my dough but switched to the KitchenAid method after reading Modernist Bread.  Possibly I may be overdoing it with the mixing but I'm using MB suggested times.

 

I note you call for high protein flour.  Which flour exactly?  I've been using KAF organic AP for years.  I can't remember if I've ever tried a higher protein flour for baguettes.  But the proof is in the pudding and I've never seen more beautiful breads than yours.  Though I must say the cutting boards don't detract much from the presentation.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Interesting and very helpful.  For decades I'd been using Zojirushi bread machines to mix my dough but switched to the KitchenAid method after reading Modernist Bread.  Possibly I may be overdoing it with the mixing but I'm using MB suggested times.

 

I note you call for high protein flour.  Which flour exactly?  I've been using KAF organic AP for years.  I can't remember if I've ever tried a higher protein flour for baguettes.  But the proof is in the pudding and I've never seen more beautiful breads than yours.  Though I must say the cutting boards don't detract much from the presentation.

 

Thanks  @JoNorvelleWalker, I use a Canadian flour -  Rogers Silver Star flour usually, but when I'm out and don't feel like driving down to Victoria, I use Rogers Bread flour or just their unbleached AP flour that is sold in all of our grocery stores.   I pretty much get the same results with all three of the Rogers flours.  They all have 13.3% protein.   Actually I think that most of the Canadian brands have a consistent protein of over 13%.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shelby thank you. It was very tasty and disappeared quickly. The dough is very easy to work with and it was pretty simple to create the star. I definitely recommend trying it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, curls said:

@Shelby thank you. It was very tasty and disappeared quickly. The dough is very easy to work with and it was pretty simple to create the star. I definitely recommend trying it.

Pretty simple for YOU--I'm baking challenged xD  I promise mine would turn out looking nothing like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Pretty simple for YOU--I'm baking challenged xD  I promise mine would turn out looking nothing like that.

Maybe it wouldn't be as pretty but it would still be very tasty.  I bet it would look beautiful. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5a4f8a25e47a0_Baguettesfrom4dayolddoughJanuary4th2018.thumb.jpg.1afb9e5c03ed9507d845ec55f37624db.jpg

Baked four smaller baguettes from a dough made on Monday.

This one was at 72% hydration.

Baked in the CSO , two at a time.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bricks. Which is what you get when you impatiently decide your sourdough loaves have risen enough and can go into the oven already, dammit. They cannot. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally feeling human after having a horrendous head cold and just put a set of Portuguese sweet bread to rise. 

Hopefully by dinner I will have some golden loaves so I can put my leftover turkey on them with some miracle whip and cranberry sauce.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A loaf of bread machine brioche.  It rose a bit too much and was pressed against the top of the machine while baking, but it is tasty stuff.

20180107_152259.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeast bread. Bread flour, whole wheat, spelt and some pumpernickel. Very good flavor. 

Sliced2.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baked Tuesday, from dough that was in the fridge since Monday.  

5a56bdbdd6fd6_SmallBoulesJanuary9th2018.thumb.jpg.479d8042e5d9bacb4dff5621eca4fa00.jpg

Baked three small boules in the CSO and the other three in a Waring Countertop oven.

 

5a56bdc62045c_SmallBoulesWaringCrumb.thumb.jpg.feec1664d542979cdc323fa0d7187040.jpg

The CSO loaves had more shine on the crust, but the crumb was the same on both batches. 

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't bake bread nearly as much as I used to, which is evident by the boring-looking loaves here.  But, The Moose (aka my son) had a 9.5 hour shift at the ski hill today, and used up nearly all the bread at home to make sandwiches  for "elevensies, luncheon, tea, supper and dinner".   So.....Grandma's potato bread was my back-up plan for the rest of the family.  I'm going to do two more loaves tonight, because the Moose will finish off a whole loaf tomorrow- by himself. 

IMG_2314.JPG

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No photos, but I bestirred myself to make a double recipe of white bread yesterday -- split into a loaf, for sandwiches and toast, and a dozen rolls, now in the freezer for Sunday dinner.

 

I made meat loaf last night, so meat loaf sandwiches today.

 

  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kayb said:

No photos, but I bestirred myself to make a double recipe of white bread yesterday -- split into a loaf, for sandwiches and toast, and a dozen rolls, now in the freezer for Sunday dinner.

 

I made meat loaf last night, so meat loaf sandwiches today.

 

Meat loaf sandwiches are the best sandwiches of all.

Meatloaf is on my to-do list now.

  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ChocoMom  since you make potato bread have you ever made kummelwick which is based on a potato bread recipe?  It is wonderful with all kinds of meat......ask anyone from western NY

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not from NY, the recipe from KAF for kummelwick rolls is simply amazing, the best tasting rolls I've ever made.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@suzilightning I have not made those, but it sounds wonderful.   Given that we raise grass-fed beef cattle, (and have a pretty decent supply most of the time),  I do make beef and peppers, and pile it high on store-bought Kaiser rolls.

 

My Grandma was the one who taught me all about baking bread, cookies, etc, and candy making.   I'm very surprised my Grandma never made that for us. Sounds like it would have been right up her ally.  

 

Thank you so much for the suggestion!!! Andrea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChocoMom said:

@suzilightning I have not made those, but it sounds wonderful.   Given that we raise grass-fed beef cattle, (and have a pretty decent supply most of the time),  I do make beef and peppers, and pile it high on store-bought Kaiser rolls.

 

My Grandma was the one who taught me all about baking bread, cookies, etc, and candy making.   I'm very surprised my Grandma never made that for us. Sounds like it would have been right up her ally.  

 

Thank you so much for the suggestion!!! Andrea

Andrea.....

I never knew about kummelwick rolls until I went to school in western NY......it seems to be a local thing since I can't get them east of Syracuse NY unless I make them.   And believe me beef on 'weck is one of the most incredible tastes in sandwiches - either Buffalo or Fredonia style.

please try them

the recipe I use is from the Stern's ....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pain Rustique from Thomas Keller's Bouchon Cookbook, except I made it as one large loaf rather than the two smaller ones he suggests.

Pain Rustique2.jpg

Pain rustique sliced.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×