Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2016 – 2017)


Ama
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I have!

This year I used Plantation 5 for the rum. Next time I want to use an aged agricole. :)

 

There you go and now I recall watching Harold and Maude again after that post!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/12/2016 at 10:39 PM, FrogPrincesse said:

For Christmas dinner, I was asked to bring a dessert with no further direction. So I decided to make one of my favorite pies which is a ginger pie with a touch of rum.  I love the little crispy crust that forms on top, and the leftovers are always great the next morning.

 

Ginger pie

 

 

 

 

 

 

Barring the extra spice (and splash of rum), the basic filling resembles butter tarts. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, in the midst of Christmas baking, I had a very belated birthday cake to make for a former colleague.  I'd all but promised a cake for an August birthday, but this was the first time a group of us could get together since July.  Oops ;). It was 4 layers of chocolate cake with alternating layers of ganache and a whipped Nutella custard-type filling, topped with ganache and liberally dosed with kahlua and baileys.  Unfortunately the extreme heat had it sliding around, even with the skewers I used to anchor it and multiple returns to the refrigerator during assembly.  It tasted great, though, and it made us all laugh at the leaning tower of cake.

My inspiration from here was an attempt at the Nutella star bread.  The heat got me again, though, and my dough was difficult to manage.  Thus you only get to see the prettier part of the bread.  Again, taste carried the day and nobody minded the rather ugly other half :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@FrogPrincesse I'll take that with some cubes of cheddar cheese, please

 

Actually bought some Pink Lady and Northern Spy apples and later today will make an apple and cranberry crumble for dessert (or more likely breakfast for me for tomorrow).

  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

 

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tart Tatin, recipe from Phillipe Conticini. Thin-sliced apples cooked with caramel, atop caramelized puff pastry, garnished with hazelnut streusel.

IMG_3615.jpg

  • Like 15

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Patrick S said:

Tart Tatin, recipe from Phillipe Conticini. Thin-sliced apples cooked with caramel, atop caramelized puff pastry, garnished with hazelnut streusel.

 

I have this recipe, and have been looking at it for a while.  Is it worth doing (in comparison to a normal tatin), and have you tried his quince version?

 

ETA: It looks good, by the way :)

Edited by jmacnaughtan (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Wednesday, January 04, 2017 at 6:30 AM, jmacnaughtan said:

 

I have this recipe, and have been looking at it for a while.  Is it worth doing (in comparison to a normal tatin), and have you tried his quince version?

 

ETA: It looks good, by the way :)

 

Honestly, it's not different from any other tart tatin I've tried, except for maybe a little more eye appeal. 

 

ETA: I have not tried the quince version- in fact, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never baked with quince before at all!

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/12/2016 at 1:39 PM, FrogPrincesse said:

For Christmas dinner, I was asked to bring a dessert with no further direction. So I decided to make one of my favorite pies which is a ginger pie with a touch of rum.  I love the little crispy crust that forms on top, and the leftovers are always great the next morning.

 

Ginger pie

 

 

Ginger pie

 

 

 

 

I've just read the recipe, have fallen totally in love with it, and an going to try to make it this weekend..did you use a loose-bottomed tart tin? How big? Is it better warm or cold? Any other tips? Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

 

I've just read the recipe, have fallen totally in love with it, and an going to try to make it this weekend..did you use a loose-bottomed tart tin? How big? Is it better warm or cold? Any other tips? Thanks!

 

I used a 9" ceramic tart pan (like this one). For the crust, I used @David Lebovitz's recipe because it's my go-to recipe. I baked it blind with parchment paper & pie weights first (or rather, some rice that I use for that purpose), then without the paper. Finally I added the filling and followed the directions from the recipe I linked.

 

I like it at room temperature, and I think it gets slightly better the next day for some reason!  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Almost ashamed to post my poor efforts amid all these gorgeous confections -- but they DID taste good. 

 

fudge 0105.jpg

Peanut butter fudge.

 

macaroons 0105.jpg

 

Coconut macaroons.

 

Both made and left at my daughter's house for late birthday/Christmas goodies, as they are her two favorites.

 

 

  • Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last night I made a small batch of chocolate chip cookies using peanut butter for half the butter fat. I ate one for quality control and took most of them to the nursing home today and gave the remainder to my brother. The recipe said it made 3 dozen, but I only got 23 cookies, so I guess mine were larger.

  • Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only OK use of all those interminable candy canes you somehow end up with every Christmas; peppermint bark.

 

One layer of tempered Callebaut dark chocolate spiked with peppermint oil, one layer of Callebaut white spiked with more peppermint, one layer of candy canes I imagined were my enemies and bashed the hell out of with a rolling pin.

 

IMG_1242.JPG

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rarerollingobject said:

Only OK use of all those interminable candy canes you somehow end up with every Christmas; peppermint bark.

 

One layer of tempered Callebaut dark chocolate spiked with peppermint oil, one layer of Callebaut white spiked with more peppermint, one layer of candy canes I imagined were my enemies and bashed the hell out of with a rolling pin.

I must admit that I have not seen "candy canes" in our shops for quite a long time during the Christmas season. They used to go "gummy" or "sticky" in the summer heat, making it nearly impossible to remove the wrapper.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I must admit that I have not seen "candy canes" in our shops for quite a long time during the Christmas season. They used to go "gummy" or "sticky" in the summer heat, making it nearly impossible to remove the wrapper.

 

I can't actually account for how I have any, let alone so many! I certainly wouldn't buy them.  o.O

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had to write an article recently listing 20-odd uses for them. Most weren't especially appealing to me, but a couple of the craft ideas were practical enough I suppose. 

 

I'm one of the rare few who don't care for the combination of mint and chocolate, so bark wouldn't cut it for me. Sure does look pretty, though. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Only OK use of all those interminable candy canes you somehow end up with every Christmas; peppermint bark.

 

One layer of tempered Callebaut dark chocolate spiked with peppermint oil, one layer of Callebaut white spiked with more peppermint, one layer of candy canes I imagined were my enemies and bashed the hell out of with a rolling pin.

 

IMG_1242.JPG

I made something similar at Christmas time but it was very trailer-trashy compared to your recipe.

My recipe was a package of white chocolate chips, melted and poured out onto a cookie sheet (I use either wax paper or non-stick foil on the cookie sheet).. Then sprinkle 15 crushed Oreo cookies over the white chocolate and press the cookie (and crumbly bits) into it. Then sprinkle on crushed candy canes and press them into the white chocolate/Oreo bark. Let dry/set up then break it up into bite-sized pieces. I agree with you...it's a quick way to get rid of candy canes!

  • Like 4

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Toliver said:

I made something similar at Christmas time but it was very trailer-trashy compared to your recipe.

My recipe was a package of white chocolate chips, melted and poured out onto a cookie sheet (I use either wax paper or non-stick foil on the cookie sheet).. Then sprinkle 15 crushed Oreo cookies over the white chocolate and press the cookie (and crumbly bits) into it. Then sprinkle on crushed candy canes and press them into the white chocolate/Oreo bark. Let dry/set up then break it up into bite-sized pieces. I agree with you...it's a quick way to get rid of candy canes!

 

100% would eat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Toliver said:

I made something similar at Christmas time but it was very trailer-trashy compared to your recipe.

My recipe was a package of white chocolate chips, melted and poured out onto a cookie sheet (I use either wax paper or non-stick foil on the cookie sheet).. Then sprinkle 15 crushed Oreo cookies over the white chocolate and press the cookie (and crumbly bits) into it. Then sprinkle on crushed candy canes and press them into the white chocolate/Oreo bark. Let dry/set up then break it up into bite-sized pieces. I agree with you...it's a quick way to get rid of candy canes!

 

In the trailer-trash vein, pretzel sticks dipped in melted white chocolate chips and rolled in crushed candy canes are pretty good.

  • Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A chocolate, praliné, raspberry and hazelnut entremets. Took a shot of the slice this time as it was requested before. Frustratingly my cocoa butter spray died on me so I had to resort to a dusting of cocoa powder. By the time it came to taking photos there had been quite a lot of moisture migration—too bad!

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

IMG_1635.JPG

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

  • Like 18

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, RichardJones said:

A chocolate, praliné, raspberry and hazelnut entremets. Took a shot of the slice this time as it was requested before. Frustratingly my cocoa butter spray died on me so I had to resort to a dusting of cocoa powder. By the time it came to taking photos there had been quite a lot of moisture migration—too bad!

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

IMG_1635.JPG

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

 

Oh my! Now that is something that absolutely looks worth the calories! Moisture migration be damned.

  • Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...