• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

3 hours ago, cakewalk said:

I'm drooling over those white peaches, blue_dolphin.

They're really, really good.  Such a wonderful floral fragrance.  I bought some at the local farmers' market last week, intending to make a small batch of white peach and lemon verbena preserves to try out the recipe but I kept eating them and the preserves have not been made.  I'll have to try again this week!

• Like 4

image.jpeg

Toasted ciabatta bun with gruyere and Suvir's tomato chutney. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@rarerollingobject, that grilled cheese is a thing of beauty. I want one. Now.

On 6/25/2016 at 11:00 AM, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin

""   I mixed up the honey, cayenne, freshly grated ginger and lime zest (omitting the garlic from the recipe for now) and used it to anoint my croissant.  Nice. ""

indeed nice.

I followed my father as he used to get honey  ( real honey ) in a can, I think 3 lbs or 5 lbs and it lasted forever.

Ill have to look into this.

or Ill discuss honey with my Buds at TJ's re the real deal.

i wish i knew where to get those Old Time Cans of the real deal honey.

Might check your local farmers' market. Several of our area beekeepers sell their honey there, in half-pints, pints and quarts. I tend to buy it a quart at a time because I use a fair amount of it. They also have local honey at the local organic foods store (like a baby Whole Foods, but better quality and lower prices), that one can dispense (warm!) from a big vat into pint or quart containers. I do that a lot as well.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I threw together  ratatouille kind of thing with zucchini, onions, sliced Campari tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, fresh chopped basil, salt and pepper and a dash or two of hot sauce. It started off as an after thought, but turned into a pleasant main event that I will do again soon. I only wished I had a piece of toast to mop up the last of it.

HC

IMG_1145.JPG

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris  

glad to see the HotSauce has returned.

I was begining to wonder.

When I wear the hat of a photographer, I have a different perspective that may overlook the hot sauce, but when I have fork in hand, wearing my trencherman's hat, I am suddenly keenly aware of anything that might be missing and quickly correct it.

HC 

• Like 4

I don't have a sweet tooth    i have a 'tart tooth'

and I like green sauce over red.  not of course anything with Green Bells  

if you can find it, try some Green tabasco sauce.

only for the Bold and exceptionally well informed Palates .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

I like green sauce over red.

I love green sauces too.

If you also like smoke, try this....it's real good!

Scott Roberts' review.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

My generosity knows no bounds. Not only am I going to pictorially share my breakfast with you, but also give you a recipe. It is a little complicated, so pay close attention.

IMG_2023.jpg

First take one banana and one slice of bread. (I used a home made loaf with chia seeds, but any decent bread is OK. Even cheap supermarket garbage bread is better than no bread - maybe.)

You may at this point add butter or your preferred grease to the bread. I find it unnecessary. Skin the banana and de-thread the flesh if thready it be.

Using a fork, mash banana onto the bread in an even coating.

IMG_2029.jpg

Eat and repeat.

Serve with strong black coffee.

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Made another ratatouille type thing with zucchini,  onions, Campari tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, fresh basil and salt and pepper. I had it with toast this time to aid in the plate cleanup. Surprisingly satisfying.

HC

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

• Like 7

Modifying @liuzhou's breakfast recipe:

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

First take one banana and one two slices of bread. (I used a home made loaf with chia seeds, but any decent bread is OK. Even cheap supermarket garbage bread is better than no bread - maybe.  multigrain.)

Toast the bread, preferably in the Cuisi steam toaster oven.
You may at this point add butter or your preferred grease (tahini on one slice, peanut butter on the other) to the bread. I find it unnecessary (I don't). Skin the banana and de-thread the flesh if thready it be.

Using a fork, mash banana onto the bread in an even coating. Slice the banana and arrange the slices on the toast.  Drizzle with hot honey.

Eat and repeat.

Serve with strong black coffee.

xD

IMG_3237.jpg

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Modifying @liuzhou's breakfast recipe:

xD

IMG_3237.jpg

No. What a load of faff.

Simplicity is the new sophisticated, don't you know?

And no one but no one eats peanut excrement any more. Didn't you get the Twitter tweet?

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

No. What a load of faff.
Simplicity is the new sophisticated, don't you know.
And no one but no one eats peanut excrement any more. Didn't you get the Twitter tweet?

You can refer to the hot honey as "faff" all you want but lay off my PB - no way am I giving that up!

xD

• Like 5

Y'all, don't be hatin' on peanut butter. In fact, if you want some primo peanut butter, try this kind. My personal favorite is the honey vanilla flavor.

Full disclosure: It's my kids' business. Still damn good peanut butter.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I go through peanut butter peaks and troughs. I skipped breakfast today, but yesterday was lightly toasted walnut bread with butter and cloudberry jam, and a tea rather than a coffee because I was running late :)

I love the breakfast inventiveness here, I always get inspiration from it :)

• Like 2