• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

Host's Note: This is part of an extended topic that became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it into shorter segments; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015 - 2016)

image.jpeg

I was test driving an ingredient --   Israeli couscous. I have tried hard to like the other kind of couscous and it always tastes "old" to me.  That is the best way I can describe it.  But I had heard that people who disliked couscous enjoyed the Israeli variety.  This was cooked in chicken stock after being lightly toasted and then tossed with Parmesan, peas and grape tomatoes.  It is certainly much more pleasing to my palate but the downside of course is it has a much longer cooking time.  Most of life is a series of compromises. 

Edited by Smithy
Adusted topic title (log)
  • Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Nice  AnnaN

I do understand  your ' old ' assessment of couscous.

Ive in the past  rinsed off the C and let it dry again

that seemed to me to be better.  but  these days, well why bother ?

have you tried the Israeli C in the IP ?  for a time consideration ?

for me  Ive just moved top Bulgur  which I can get locally in all the various sizes.  and it does not need cooking, just soaking.

but Im pleased you have tried Israeli C.

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Nice  AnnaN

I do understand  your ' old ' assessment of couscous.

Ive in the past  rinsed off the C and let it dry again

that seemed to me to be better.  but  these days, well why bother ?

have you tried the Israeli C in the IP ?  for a time consideration ?

for me  Ive just moved top Bulgur  which I can get locally in all the various sizes.  and it does not need cooking, just soaking.

but Im pleased you have tried Israeli C.

No I have not tried it in the IP. To be honest it had not occurred to me. I think the appeal of couscous at least the kind we get here is that it does not need to be cooked at all but can be simply reconstituted.  The 8 to 10 minutes it takes to cook Israeli couscous is not a dealbreaker but it is not nearly as convenient.   I too am venturing out into the grains  and will be test driving a few of those.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Getting ready to send of John's friend for his family vacation and John to Poughkeepsie.....it's going to be me and Mr. Mike's dog and the kitties.  Turkey sandwiches for the ride to the airport then north...chicken quesadillas made with roasted chicken, salsa and guacamole....no cheese.  Plenty of water for them and seltzer for me.   Also have the first cold tea of the season in the fridge...I'm going to need it!

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Bulgar just needs to be soaked

at room temp

with water or a liquid with ' added flavor '

then 'digressed'  i.e. non absorbed liquid removed

once you get the hang of that, you can add a bit less liquid and get the bulgur 'just right'

the thicker bulgar  just needs more time.

A Vietnamese style salad, glass noodles, cos lettuce, red onion, wombok, bean sprouts, mint leaves, coriander leaves with sliced beef from yesterday's Bun Bo Hue. Dressed with Nuoc Cham, the fish sauce, lime juice, dark sugar, chilli and water all purpose sauce. Sprinkled with fried shallots.

image.jpeg

• Like 16

6 hours ago, sartoric said:

A Vietnamese style salad, glass noodles, cos lettuce, red onion, wombok, bean sprouts, mint leaves, coriander leaves with sliced beef from yesterday's Bun Bo Hue. Dressed with Nuoc Cham, the fish sauce, lime juice, dark sugar, chilli and water all purpose sauce. Sprinkled with fried shallots.

Beautiful.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

I was test driving an ingredient --   Israeli couscous. I have tried hard to like the other kind of couscous and it always tastes "old" to me.  That is the best way I can describe it.  But I had heard that people who disliked couscous enjoyed the Israeli variety.  This was cooked in chicken stock after being lightly toasted and then tossed with Parmesan, peas and grape tomatoes.  It is certainly much more pleasing to my palate but the downside of course is it has a much longer cooking time.  Most of life is a series of compromises. 

I don't mean to discourage any usage of ingredients nor do I want to sound fixed on traditiona., but I would like to write a couple of things that might give people some perspective. 

First, I must say that Israeli couscous is misnamed, and that this causes them to  be wrongly considered a substitute for each other.  In Israel, Israeli couscous is called ptitim, it's essentially a form of pasta and originated as an alternative to rice in times the later was expensive. 

It can be used like pasta in salads, or like rice, with saucy dishes. It is not considered to be related to real couscous. 

It seems to me that outside Africa and the middle east couscous is mostly used in cold preparations and salads.  While those do exists traditionally, they are less common, as couscous is usually served warm. I personally much prefer hot couscous. Hot or cold couscous must be served in a moist preparation to taste right. 

Here is one recipe which is quite traditional and similar to what is also common in Israel. It can be made without meat, and I personally don't add raisins to it. Sweet potato is also a welcomed addition. 

• Like 6

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

First, I must say that Israeli couscous is misnamed, and that this causes them to  be wrongly considered a substitute for each other.  In Israel, Israeli couscous is called ptitim, it's essentially a form of pasta and originated as an alternative to rice in times the later was expensive. 

I once got into a sort of argument about this. I mentioned to someone that Israeli couscous was not really couscous, and they refused to believe it. Insisted that I didn't know what I was talking about. I've never mentioned it again. (But since you did ...)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, shain said:

I don't mean to discourage any usage of ingredients nor do I want to sound fixed on traditiona., but I would like to write a couple of things that might give people some perspective. 

It can be used like pasta in salads, or like rice, with saucy dishes. It is not considered to be related to real couscous. 

It seems to me that outside Africa and the middle east couscous is mostly used in cold preparations and salads.  While those do exists traditionally, they are less common, as couscous is usually served warm. I personally much prefer hot couscous. Hot or cold couscous must be served in a moist preparation to taste right. 

Here is one recipe which is quite traditional and similar to what is also common in Israel. It can be made without meat, and I personally don't add raisins to it. Sweet potato is also a welcomed addition. 

Thanks

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Sonic onion rings.

Of which a medium order (6 BIG rings) has 560 calories, I found after I'd consumed them. Gonna be a light dinner for me. Steaks will wait until tomorrow.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Wow

@kayb  

no Sonics near me  

maybe good for me or not

have you had a '' burger  '' there ?

Ime deeply please, there are no  

http://www.in-n-out.com/

near me.  

I grew up in CA   these evolved later

but I was able visit my parers 4 x / year.

Yum  !  extra  'sauce' on my burgers, Animal double-doubles  and 2 - 4 X sauce for the fries

Excellent   nap from time to time required.

• Like 2

image.jpg

Not sure yet whether this will be a late lunch or an early dinner (I know I saved room for dessert). Wheatberry salad. This wasn't bad but halfway through  I decided it was lacking a certain something something.

image.jpg

I handful of these crushed lightly and sprinkled over the top it to a whole new level.

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

From this weekend:

Store-bought ready-to-bake pretzels. And sausage salad (not store-bought). The pretzels are fine, but I still want to make my own someday.

tq9bGz9.jpg

IleLejX.jpg

Fish without the chips. Bought the battered cod from the market fish monger. (note that where I am you only get the fish or the chips, not both.)

G1kzgdF.jpg

• Like 8

16 hours ago, rotuts said:

near me.  

Yum  !  extra  'sauce' on my burgers, Animal double-doubles  and 2 - 4 X sauce for the fries

Each time we go to San Diego or Las Vegas, In-N-Out is one of the first stops. I can't really explain it in specific terms nor reproduce it at home, but they make a great burger!

HC

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rotuts said:

Wow

@kayb  

no Sonics near me  

maybe good for me or not

have you had a '' burger  '' there ?

near me.  

I've had burgers and hot dogs there, but I'm not crazy about them. Love the onion rings, and they have a great array of fountain drinks and shakes. And a kids meal with a grilled cheese sandwich that my grandson dearly loves, thus the after-church stop.

I had an In 'n Out burger when i was in Phoenix, as I thought I ought to. I wasn't that impressed. The sauce is good, though.

Don't ask. Eat it.

I spent the Memorial Day weekend out in Wellfleet on Cape Cod.  The weather was gorgeous (except for today, it is pouring today!).  I did not do much cooking, but we ate out a lot.  The Beachcomber is probably the most famous restaurant out here.  It is not at all fancy, always extremely crowded, and the crowd can be a little rough (aka drunk!).  We go for lunch because the scene at night is not always teen appropriate.  They do a nice job with their fryer.

Fishwich

beachcomber fishwich.jpg

Fried clams

beachcomber fried clams.jpg

Steamer clams

beachcomber steamer clams.jpg

Oyster po boy

beachcomber oyster po boy.jpg

And from the raw bar, sesame seared tuna

beachcomber tuna.jpg

• Like 13

image.jpeg

Baked potato scooped out and mashed with butter, crème fraîche and salt and pepper.  Flesh replaced then topped with sausage meat, cheddar and some chopped scallions.  Briefly flashed under the broiler to melt the cheese.

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

This was more like a "Linner" Meal.  Lunch + Dinner = Linner (according to my brother). 

Hubby and my 18 yo son went fishing on the Pilgrim river.   They caught em. I cleaned em.  And, then nom nom nom. 

IMG_0687.JPG

• Like 15

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I failed to say what they were....the giant rainbow trout was my son's catch. Figures....its the tallest one- just like he is!  All the rest are Brookies and Rainbows. Quite delish with ground garlic, pepper and a little squirt of lemon. 

• Like 6

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

8 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

I failed to say what they were....the giant rainbow trout was my son's catch. Figures....its the tallest one- just like he is!  All the rest are Brookies and Rainbows. Quite delish with ground garlic, pepper and a little squirt of lemon. 

Oh yeah, can't beat fresh trout.

• Like 2

image.jpeg

So I am certain I am not the first person to do this  but I can honestly say I have never seen it before and it just seemed to be the logical answer to my dilemma.   I wanted a salad for lunch but when I reached for the last of the grape tomatoes I saw that they were way past their best.  I was about to bin them when the thought came into my head… If you can make a hot bacon dressing why can't you make a hot tomato dressing? So I warmed some olive oil, added some garlic, hot pepper flakes and dried oregano and let them become acquainted. I fished out the garlic once It began to show some colour and added the wrinkly grape tomatoes.   When they began to break down I splashed in some white wine vinegar.  Meanwhile I had cut up a small heart of romaine and crumbled some blue cheese. Voila. Salad for lunch. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

Leftovers, some left over on purpose for just such applications.

leftovers salad 053016.JPG

A salad made of leftover roasted corn, cut off the cob, avocado, tomato and bacon; leftover deviled eggs from the weekend, and very nearly the last of the jail slaw I've been munching on for a month (told y'all it keeps forever in the fridge).

A most excellent lunch. I was going to have watermelon (that I got for the weekend and we never cut open), but I was too full.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.