• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 1)

Anna N

Tried something I'd never seen before - stuffing mix done as a tuna casserole.  So it was the basic stuffing recipe with a can of tuna added in.  Yummy.  Served with roasted carrots and parsnips.

tuna-stuffing.jpg.ea3abf682641c7ac15a66b

• Like 10

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Chicken Italiano- thigh fillets in a fresh tomato sauce with bacon, button mushrooms and broad beans.

Served with mozzarella mash, and garlic zucchini with crusty olive bread for sopping.

image.thumb.jpeg.6a6db9d1add68e3e0f209e9

image.thumb.jpeg.5b9d08a3bba584a6d95f02b

• Like 12

image.jpeg.3a74363a2c82cad5fed4d62bb94f1

Inspired again by @blue_dolphin but not photographed nearly so well.  Baked potato  topped with goat cheese and a fried egg.   Who knew something so simple could taste so good  and be so satisfying. 

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, best-laid plans for Sunday dinner from our fresh fish market were thwarted by a huge 60' mature tree coming down in the wind across the power lines. Scared me quite senseless. It blew the two transformers on either pole between where the lines were breached, but they got the power back on respectably quickly within a few hours.

It was too cold to grill anyway, and I certainly had no great urge to cook in a swampy backyard where a crew was trying to work to restore power that had blown up MOST spectacularly a few hours before, not knowing when or even if power would be back on that night.

We went to a Mexican place that used to be our favorite years ago, but won't be named, because, sadly, after this visit we won't be back. We've been noticing for a while on our infrequent visits after a change of ownership, that quality was going down, but this visit was the clincher. The default salsa that came out literally was pureed canned tomato. No jalapeno, no cilantro, and worse, no onion. The husband pronounced it "terrible," and he eats stuff I wouldn't touch. I am not exaggerating to say that Hunt's canned tomato sauce is much more flavorful than what we were served. Mmmkay. So I ask for the hot salsa they used to have. It comes out in a small dish, and appears to at least have some crushed red Italian-style pepper in a very thin sauce. I said, "At least this one looks like it has some flavor". After I taste it, my husband asks, "So it has flavor?" I make a grimace, and reply, "Yeah, a really bad one." The rest of the meal was edible, unlike the "salsas," but barely, and with heavy hearts, we turn out backs on a restaurant where the Latino staff used to greet us by name. The new management fired all the old guard, some of which were there when we started eating there about twenty years ago. Apparently they also fired, and failed to replace, anyone with a palette or even rudimentary knowledge of Latin cuisine. :( :S

So the seafood was deferred until Monday night. For the first time, they had no red snapper, and the blue crab sign was gone from the window. They were also out of clams. The husband got his usual fried catfish with hushpuppies and fries, and I got them to fry me up large shrimp with some okra. I had made homemade tarter sauce before we left with Dukes mayo, chopped onion, capers, flatleaf parsley and a leetle Tobasco sauce. This made up for the bad dinner the day before!

I also ordered a dozen oysters for later at 75 cents a piece. When I got them home, there were sixteen in the bag. I love lagniappe.  :x

Edit: I forgot to add finely minced dill gherkins to this list of ingredients for the tartar sauce, one of the most important ingredients! Some like it with sweet pickles, but I don't like that at all and don't eat it if it's served like that.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 11

> ^ . . ^ <

liamsaunt,

i love "bowl food" and yours looks especially appetizing. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for the crepes, I second the best laid plans comment. In my case I got a really fresh Point Judith cod fillet which we had with some scalloped potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Even though I had the camera on the table, at the ready, we had both tucked in without a photo. Oh well, maybe next time.

• Like 3

"Sapporo Ichiban Japanese Style Noodles & Chicken Flavored-Soup" with Westphalia ham, red & green mizuna, hard-boiled eggs & scallions.

DSCN7818a_800.jpg.b772f5455c5bd7fc708f89

Beef short ribs stew w/ garlic & carrots.

With vague thoughts of Moshari Kokkinisto & chez-huiray notes at the back of the mind.

Served w/ mint rice.

DSCN7824a_800.jpg.fc56783ef5ef862a245f85

Beef short ribs browned w/ Arbequina EV olive oil & sea salt. Lots of garlic, half a cube of caldo de tomate con sabor de pollo [Knorr], whole peeled tomatoes [SMT] chopped w/ the spatula, sliced cipollini onions, fresh bay leaves, water, simmer. Whole cloves, cassia stick, simmer. Carrots, seasoning adjusted, simmer till done; leave to "mature" overnight, rewarm w/ some skimming of excess oil.

Arbosana EV olive oil, chopped crushed garlic, gentle sauté; sea salt, long grain rice, fresh lemon juice, toss; water, simmer; chopped fresh mint (I used pudina) & Italian parsley, stir in, continue simmer then cover on low heat to finish off rice.

Getting there:

DSCN7820a_600.jpg.c6dff6ee13d049612bb15a

• Like 14

Inspired by this. Orzo, sweet potato, onion, mushroom garlic and ginger with balsamic vinegar and soy sauce.

image.thumb.jpeg.52be9f3dd4f70385597914a

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

On the advice of @liamsaunt, last night I made the roasted chicken balsemico with potatoes from The Italian Country Table  (Lynne Rossetto Kasper). I used bone in breast pieces instead of a whole chicken (why did I have them in the freezer? I rarely buy breast pieces. But there they were.) Very good - i am glad for the recommendation.
I also learned that this recipe holds well - it was cold last night, my husband owns a plumbing and heating company, a local library's heat went out and they had a children's program scheduled for that night - he got home by 8:00 and the library had heat. Dinner had been planned for 7:00 but, kept in a low heat oven with a little extra wine for moisture, everything was fine. When you are married to a plumber, you never know when he'll be home. (As he was leaving one of the kids asked the librarian "Who's that guy?" She answered "He's our superhero."  I agree.)

DSC00536.thumb.jpg.dcdcf2c2031282aa744c0

Tonight: pork tenderloin, marinated in cider, bourbon, ginger and brown sugar, browned and then roasted, with mashed kabocha squash and broiled pineapple. And a salad because we always have a salad. The sauce on the pork is the marinade cooked down. A lot. 

DSC00540.thumb.jpg.bc1230b68f4b520059fc5

• Like 14

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Ann T. – LOVE Chicken Kiev – I haven’t made it in an age and I should.   And what a gorgeous crust you got.

Football snack on Sunday was cheese and crackers and Mr. Kim’s chili.  Cheese:

DSCN1118.JPG.798aec8b687ed978aed5f179b14

DSCN1120.JPG.d3f524f7c0f84db0165e1d96ed2

The one on the left of the platter is the Rush Creek Reserve from Uplands Cheese.  It is a raw milk cheese that is only available fall to early winter.  Incredibly rich and creamy and delicate.

Beef stick and crackers:

DSCN1121.JPG.31d42fa56881296fe29ac7260b5

Chili:

DSCN1122.JPG.47b8c899ef61ca2304bd311b249

Last night was breakfast for dinner:

DSCN1148.JPG.040309ce0df029ee9508e2515c6

Waffle iron hashbrowns.  Not sure I’m enthralled like everyone else seems to be.  They got too dark no matter what I did.  It doesn’t come out in a nice, one piece ‘waffle’ really – much looser than that.  And in the end, you have a hard-to-clean waffle iron to wash instead of a simple-to-clean sauté pan.

Tonight started with the inevitable salad:

DSCN1150.JPG.d5767de7bf1497a2eaf32e2b2f7

Spaghetti and meatballs:

DSCN1151.JPG.77711043f260c67141d09fc2a29

Our nephew-in-law made this.  It is a recipe passed down in his family from a great grandmother who was Italian (grew up somewhere in Italy).  He actually prefers his own version and finds hers too intense.  We loved it and thought it was really robust and complex. 

• Like 15

Lots of great looking food!

I must try to stay away from this topic and the like...I'm supposed to be dieting!!! :huh:

• Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎13 at 3:33 AM, HungryChris said:

Sparren, is this a normal meal for you, or do you want to share what the occasion is? I love caviar, but tell us a few details, please. 

This was a Friday dinner with a couple of friends that share my interest for food and cooking. I had a 250gr can of Oscietra that I bought in London last December.

For starter I server Russian gherkins (pickled in salt) with  honey and Smetana (Russian sour crème) which is a very nice, cheap and easy Russian starter (the theme this evening was Russian) and for main course we had Blinis with Oscietra, Smetana and chopped red onion. Usually we serve Blinis with Caviar of Kalix  at less then 1/10 of what sturgeon roe costs. It's not at all the same taste but also very good.

• Like 5

A bit of a visually monochrome dinner tonight. But there's a reason.

I'm in love!

I'm in love with my newly acquired potato ricer. So, I've been making a lot of mash. Delicious but not necessarily pretty.

Anyway, here is tonight's effort.

56977f5363ee8_porkmashandblackbeancauili

Fried pork slices with black, white, green and red pepper. Stir-fried cauliflower with black fermented soy beans, Sichuan peppercorns and chilli. Buttery mash.

I meant to mix some scallions into the mash and there is some apple sauce.in the freezer, but I only have eyes for my new love, so I forgot. Next time.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto