• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 1)

Anna N

Lahm bel Ajeen dinner which is the Armenian/Arabic meat pies.

I like to enjoy my Lahm bel Ajeen with Yogurt and Pickles.

Today's pickles are Lebanese Turnips - Moroccan Mini Lemons - Syrian Green Chilli Pickles  and Cauliflower pickles.

_MG_3229_zps5jj0ywud.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Nicolai said:

Lahm bel Ajeen dinner which is the Armenian/Arabic meat pies.

I like to enjoy my Lahm bel Ajeen with Yogurt and Pickles.

Today's pickles are Lebanese Turnips - Moroccan Mini Lemons - Syrian Green Chilli Pickles  and Cauliflower pickles.

_MG_3229_zps5jj0ywud.jpg

Nice photos, everyone!  I often turn to this topic for inspiration and come away feeling like a slacker.  :-)

Nicolai, this looks like meat spread atop a flatbread and then folded for easy eating.  Have I got that right?  What is the 'Ajeen'?  Next question: what king of vinegar and pickling spices were used there?  I recently discovered pickled turnips and think they're a wonderful thing.  Wouldn't mind learning how to do them myself.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Ann_T @liuzhou  I don't own a ricer.  Do I need a new love?  I'm feeling left out lol.

SV goose that my husband shot a few days ago.  Some kraut, breaded tomatoes and scalloped potatoes to go with.

P1131099.JPG.7a76ce0693a073c3695517a06e6

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, Shelby said:

@Ann_T @liuzhou  I don't own a ricer.  Do I need a new love?  I'm feeling left out lol.

Oh yes. You need a new love. Who doesn't?

I had a potato ricer way back in London twenty-plus years ago, but here I had to make do with a potato masher thing that my daughter kindly carried from London to China on one of her visits.  But recently, to my great surprise, I found a ricer in a small shop here. I'm probably the only person in the city who knows what it is! The owner of the shop didn't! Anyway, I took it off her hands. She only had one. One ricer, that is. She has the full set of hands.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Nice photos, everyone!  I often turn to this topic for inspiration and come away feeling like a slacker.  :-)

Nicolai, this looks like meat spread atop a flatbread and then folded for easy eating.  Have I got that right?  What is the 'Ajeen'?  Next question: what king of vinegar and pickling spices were used there?  I recently discovered pickled turnips and think they're a wonderful thing.  Wouldn't mind learning how to do them myself.

Hello Smithy

1- Lahm bel Ajeen is akin an open thin pizza with meat.

Lahm= Meat

Bel Ajeen= In a dough

We double fold it, squeeze some lemon and eat it as a sandwich.

The plated stuff is the posh way to eat it and for the photograph.

2- Pickling Turnips

1kg Turnips

1 cup red or white wine vinegar

5 cups water

2 1/2 large salt spoons

- Wash and cut and discard top and bottom

- Cut into chunks or cut but do not separate from the turnip.

- First dilute the salt in water and then add the vinegar

- Add cut Beetroots for pink color

- Red Chillies finely cut is optional. We do not add Chillies

- Place in jar and cover with the pickling liquid for 2 weeks

- Enjoy

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 2

Chicken Bolognese w/ Shirataki Noodle

1/3 portions each Celery, carrot, onions saute' --  I added 2 strips of  Bacon
Deglase white wine till reduced
Tomato paste - Toast paste...
add dice chicken and sugo

Touch of Nutmeg  S and P and some Italian seasoning
Pepper flakes
I also added Morel Mushroom and Kale

Serve over Shiritaki noodles cooked 3 mins

24011192999_6ef9c15aa3_k.thumb.jpg.6a0d7

• Like 15

Its good to have Morels

Years ago, there used to be a regular poster here named Tommy. Tommy, if you still post, my apologies! He now has his own site called Tommyeats.com. Tommy talked about spaghetti carbonara in Rome at Ai Tre Scalini  (Three little Steps {from The coliseum}). I think it included some mention of "hold the cream, I'm begging, ya". We visited Ai Tre Scalini a few years ago and Deb absolutely loved this dish there! 

Tonight, I threw caution to the wind and took a long overdue stab at it.

Carbonera.thumb.jpg.3bca77ec4f150aac43fa

We both loved it and I will add it to the go-to list with simple ingredient dishes.

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 12

Earlier – Miso soup. 

DSCN7827a_800.jpg.d84d651e61c6d39f3b782d

Water, hon-dashi, sliced aburaage, cut wakame, slurried mutenka shiro miso. Chopped scallions.

Later – Steamed Faroe Islands salmon; soba tossed w/ sautéed cabbage; sobayu.

DSCN7834b_800.jpg.45c06ec5b60fc45a6b4509

Faroe Islands salmon fillet marinated & steamed w/ enoki mushrooms, bunapi-shimeji mushrooms, ryori-shu, hon-mirin, squeeze of lemon juice, rice bran oil, sea salt, ground white & black pepper, nigori sake, julienned ginger, trimmed scallions.

Soba cooked as usual, drained & rinsed well; tossed in pan w/ sliced cabbage sautéed w/ oil & sea salt.

The water from cooking the soba retained = sobayu; a bowl set out for sipping w/ the meal.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 7

Braised duck legs with Rancho Gordo "tarbais" beans. Just out of the oven. image.thumb.jpeg.3885b211195de7e064a1f11

image.thumb.jpeg.07a488d0196d905d1006a4e

Skin crisped and ready to eat. For this bean-hater there was nothing challenging about really fresh dried beans cooked in duck fat. That is a small helping of kimchi beside it.  

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Quick dinner last night: salmon burgers with chili aioli

5698e32b181c2_salmonburgers.thumb.jpg.9b

@liamsaunt,

Your salmon burgers look lovely.

What is the herb sprigging out? It almost looks like clover on the left side of your photo. Pea shoots? Then on the right hand burger it looks like mizuna?

I have to compliment you on your food photography. You are quite talented.

> ^ . . ^ <

'Twas Ronnie's birthday yesterday.  He requested chicken fried venison steaks and Texas sheet cake.  

Someone take this cake away.  It's staring at me.  I had a bite.....oh man, I could just dive face first into it.  Damn this diet lol.

P1141101.JPG.43e89aad8c5196787970ca98dab

P1141099.JPG.7cf836e289aeb9b72b67d03275b

P1141103.JPG.53932461227ba8d39ce8b8534ef

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

'Twas Ronnie's birthday yesterday.  He requested chicken fried venison steaks and Texas sheet cake.  

Someone take this cake away.  It's staring at me.  I had a bite.....oh man, I could just dive face first into it.  Damn this diet lol.

I've discovered one can make a wonderful CF steak (beef; I haven't tried venison, but it should work) by salting and peppering and sous viding the beef for about four hours first, then breading and frying as usual. Fork-tender!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

What's in the veggie draw minestrone. Any appropriate veggies, a can of tomatoes, a can of mixed beans and beef stock. Served with cheesy pesto toasts.

image.thumb.jpeg.5244c0eb58c599a9b0dda97image.thumb.jpeg.729e4a6d012d6dab25a4212

Nice Toast..  But it all looks tasty

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 2

Its good to have Morels

On 1/12/2016 at 5:29 PM, mgaretz said:

Tried something I'd never seen before - stuffing mix done as a tuna casserole.  So it was the basic stuffing recipe with a can of tuna added in.  Yummy.  Served with roasted carrots and parsnips.

tuna-stuffing.jpg.ea3abf682641c7ac15a66b

What are those green things in the stuffing?

• Like 2