• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas gifts received 2015

Darienne

I know this is very, very early for such a topic, but what the heck?  The box is under the tree. 

My old food processor, limping along with a broken switch for 4 years now, gave up the ghost this morning shredding potatoes for Potato Kugel.  I haven't made a Potato Kugel in 20 years.  Why?  I don't know.  But Smitten Kitchen posted a recipe this week and there I was shredding the potatoes by hand.  Rats.

DH went into town this afternoon and bought me a brand new 12-cup Cuisinart Elite Food Processor with more bells and whistles, and now I have to watch a video before I use it. 

And so it starts...

Oh, the Kugel was delicious.  I'll make it again soon.

• Like 12

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I got this cake stand a couple of weeks ago: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/marin-white-large-cake-stand/s211092  I haven't opened it yet, but the packing slip gave it away.  Not sure if I'm going to keep it or not.  I like it, but I have 4 others within site of where I'm sitting right now.

• Like 2

We ordered and received this copper kitchen sink a few weeks ago (I opened it and it's beautiful!).  DH says it'll be installed by Christmas morning.  Yeah!!!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Raphael-Drop-In-Handmade-Pure-Solid-Copper-22-in-4-Hole-Double-Bowl-Kitchen-Sink-in-Antique-Copper/206084556

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 4

UPS man came yesterday with this HUGE styrofoam cooler box.  I opened it and couldn't believe it.  My step-dad and mom sent a giant gunny sack full of oysters from LA.  They are frozen and take a couple hours to thaw.  We decided to have 3 apiece for appetizers last night. We are in heaven.  Tonight will be oysters and oysters and oysters!   I've never had enough that I could do a bunch of different things with.  We'll have Rockefeller, fried, grilled etc. etc.

Can you tell I'm excited???

PC110947.JPG.6401aa7c6545c1af03656381f20PC110954.JPG.cab69e2946deb5f6161acf04ff2PC110948.JPG.8fcd6336d5a5aea758bd9fc867c

• Like 20

WOW! Shelby, that's a wonderful gift indeed!  I hope you'll post about what you do with more of those beauties. :x

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ive never had Fz oysters.  are that noticeably different in texture.

I made Rockefeller once.  delicious.

only once.   very few to none  made it past the shucking stage 

surprised.gif></a>
		</p>
	</div>
</blockquote>

<p>
	No difference in texture at all.    They taste like they

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday brought things to eat in the mail. Two one-pound boxes of See's candy, and two one-pound bags of giant Georgia pecan halves. One of the bags of pecans is presently in the oven roasting in spicy sauce; the other will likely get candied via the spicy-sweet walnut recipe posted recently.

Almost through Christmas treat-making. A good thing, I guess.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

No photograph because some of it has already been put into the freezer and or the refrigerator but I did get a wonderful care basket of AAA steaks/roasts, some cheeses that are completely new to me,  loads and loads of crystallized ginger (some of it chocolate dipped) which is a weakness of mine, some chocolate dipped cookies, a couple of loaves of bakery bread  and I'm sure I am missing things  that arrived with my special Santa.   And to top it off a gift I'm not allowed to open until tomorrow!  Life is good.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Wow!   This has been quite the Christmas.  For those of you not familiar with it the snowflake contains a (humungous) gift card for Amazon.ca.  I will begin whittling down my wish list very shortly. 

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Very Nice

Im interested in your take on the Taste 5 Unami Paste

it seems to be this one :

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_CA/products/productlisting/pc_black_label_taste_sup_tm_sup_5_umami_paste_spiced_tomato_anchovy_pureeprod1390027.html

there are others or this might be rebranded:

http://www.taste5umami.com/

most list tomato paste as the first ingredient

does tomato dominate ?

Id like to find something similar but w/o dominating tomatoes

@rotuts

here you go

image.jpeg 

image.jpeg

My 2004 eG Blog