• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the Best Way to Clean This Baking Sheet?

Shel_B

A few days ago, a neighbor gave me an aluminum baking sheet.  It's damaged with burnt on oil.  What might be the best way to clean it?  I tried soaking it in hot, and then boiling, water, using a strong solution of detergent.

sheet tray.jpg

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

That appears to be polymerized oil, the same stuff that makes the non-stick coating on cast iron. I don't have a quick solution for you. I have used Brillo pads before but they do affect the surface. I hope someone else can be of more help.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

That appears to be polymerized oil, the same stuff that makes the non-stick coating on cast iron. I don't have a quick solution for you. I have used Brillo pads before but they do affect the surface. I hope someone else can be of more help.

Yes, that seems to be what it is.  I'd rather not damage the surface any more than necessary ... tried some BKF as was suggested above, but it was pretty much useless.  Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Go to an auto parts supply store and buy a can of engine degreaser.

Then:

1. lay one layer of paper towel on the burnt on oil.

2. Pour the degreaser to wet the paper towel thoroughly.

3. Cover the paper towel with a layer of plastic film such as cut from grocery plastic bag.

Leave it alone for a day, two or three days and wash everything away.

dcarch

• Like 1

In most commercial kitchens we use the following process:

-Use a s/s pot scrubber and plenty of elbow grease.  Key operative words, s/s.  Steel wool will break off and lodge in crevices where it will rust. 

Don't bother with any non food-grade chemicals, soaps, or degreasers.  They are what they are:  Not food grade.

-Don't worry about any residue as it is  food grade.  If not re-applied,  it will eventually wear off.  It also protects your tray from aluminum oxidizing which has the nasty habit of turning everything it touches grey/black.

In other words, think of it as "seasoning".....

• Like 2

Dawn Power Dissolver does an amazing job of breaking that stuff down

Yes, Dawn Power Dissolver may work, if you can find it. If you do, try it using the same method I outlined.

I'd rather not damage the surface any more than necessary ...

Scrubbing with Steel wool will scratch the finish on aluminum.

dcarch

These pans are common and very cheap at restaurant supply stores, here, I can get them for $6 each. The polymerized fat isn't really an issue. I just scrub what I can off with Bon Ami and just live with the residue - that's what the commercial kitchens do. If it really bugs you, try some Dip It.

• Like 1

I use Down Power Dissolver and it works great.  I run very hot water onto the pan until it is well heated, pour off the water, spray the surface evenly and leave it overnight.

Next morning I scrape it with a plastic scraper and clean the scraper with paper towels and put in the trash - I don't like to put the stuff down the garbage disposal or into the sink because it can build up inside the pipes.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The polymerized fat isn't really an issue. I just scrub what I can off

If you just want to use the pan, Lisa gave you your answer. If you're concerned about it being pretty and shiny, elbow grease or one of the suggested products will help. Keep in mind that you're going to spend as much or more on the stuff being suggested to clean it as you'd spend on a new pan (yes, I know... you didn't ask how much it would cost to clean it).

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yikes, just priced the Dawn stuff on Amazon..$34.99 per bottle.  Comments say that it is not avilable in store anymore.  Have to be one special baking pan to justify that many bucks in this house.  Maybe for some cookies that were served at The Last Supper or somethng.

• Like 1

It seems to me that the OP's pan's condition is cleanable. You just can't throw a pan away every time a pan gets dirty like that.

The only time I would not try to clean it is if the stuff on it got carbonized, because almost nothing reacts with carbon.

I wonder if paint striper can also work. 

You cannot use "Easy Off" because it is alkali.

Read your oven manual if it is self -cleaning and see if they recommend aluminum items.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

(yes, I know... you didn't ask how much it would cost to clean it).

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

It seems to me that the OP's pan's condition is cleanable. You just can't throw it away every time a pan gets dirty like that.

Well, you probably don't let a pan get that dirty, right? But it the following is true, and it was given as a "gift," then I'd regift it to the garbage man.

A few days ago, a neighbor gave me an aluminum baking sheet. 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I find that having a sheet pan in rather poor condition serves me well when I need something under a casserole or pie that might bubble over in the oven. Or if I intend to cook something directly on the oven racks then it makes a fine drip tray. It works equally well on the grill outdoors, lined with heavy duty foil. Saves me from ruining a perfectly good sheet pan.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes, Dawn Power Dissolver has been discontinued. 

Thanks for contacting Dawn.

I’m sorry you’re unable to find the Dawn Power Dissolver. This product has been discontinued and it’s

no longer available. We are currently in the process of updating our website to reflect this. Generally,

decisions to start or stop making products are based on consumer demand, so feedback like yours is

extremely valuable. Although your favorite product has been discontinued, you can try our Dawn

Platinum Erasing Dish Foam. I think you’ll really like it.   

Thanks again for taking the time to write!

Treveno

Dawn Team

I wouldn't spend the $$ that is being asked for the product on Amazon just to clean on old baking sheet. 

I know that the pan can be used regardless of how bad it looks, and I will use it.  It's not in my nature to just toss something out if it can still be used.

This is a thick, heavy sheet, and it's worth keeping.  Compared to the thin, crap baking sheets that are mostly available, this one's a keeper.  I've already used it as Anna N has suggested.  And lined with parchment paper or foil, it will continue to provide some service.  It doesn't take up any space to speak of.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I learned about some new products ....

... Shel

I'm with the buy a new one if you want one camp.  Your's looks just like the one I keep under my smoker for grease drippings.  Works fine as is.

I don't need a new pan.  Already have a few.  This was a gift from a neighbor, and my interest was in seeing if it could be rejuvenated.

... Shel

this looks a lot like my Chicagometalic baking pans  ( 'jelly-roll li' ) if so

they come in 'three-packs' at BB%B

three different sizes   19.95   - 20 %  = 15 $  I have two sets in daily use so that I have two pans each size

Bar Keeper will work, with elbow grease.

I like the engine degreaser idea, and will keep that in mind.

These pans are common and very cheap at restaurant supply stores, here, I can get them for $6 each. The polymerized fat isn't really an issue. I just scrub what I can off with Bon Ami and just live with the residue - that's what the commercial kitchens do. If it really bugs you, try some Dip It.

They are expensive here ... a friend and I went to East Bay Restaurant Supply recently, and we were stunned by their high prices.  It used to be that the place was filled with bargains.  I purchased quite a few things there in the past.

The highly rated Cook's Illustrated pan is around $20.00 on Amazon, and priced similarly at other places.

... Shel

this looks a lot like my Chicagometalic baking pans  ( 'jelly-roll li' ) if so

they come in 'three-packs' at BB%B

three different sizes   19.95   - 20 %  = 15 $  I have two sets in daily use so that I have two pans each size

Always have Castrol engine degreaser in my kitchen. Has a myriad uses. Especially useful when degreasing the stove hood.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

BKF doesn't work on this - tried it.

Engine degreaser is considered a hazardous waste product, and using it around the home opens up the door to disposal problems.  Plus, degreaser, as someone pointed out, isn't considered food safe, so cooking on a pan treated with degreaser doesn't strike me as prudent.  How might it react with food?  What might (even the residual cleaner) do to my oven?  I don't feel like underwriting the cost of experimenting with it in my kitchen.  YMMV

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

"-----Plus, degreaser, as someone pointed out, isn't considered food safe, so cooking on a pan treated with degreaser doesn't strike me as prudent.  How might it react with food?  ---"

I can't think of a strong detergent that is food safe.

Aluminum will not absorb. After it is cleaned, there will be 0 degreaser on the pan. 

Also, you don't normally cook right on the pan.

dcarch

• Like 1