• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Way to Cook Bacon: Soft/Crisp? Fry/Bake/Microwave?

Wilfrid

In the oven, turning the baking sheet back to front two or three times. Only just started doing this and find it great. Is a Cook's Illustrated Technique that I adopted. Crispy bacon with very little attention.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh brig, hie thee hence to a butchery.

Sliced bacon are the scales on the divil's back compared to slab bacon which is the sacrament of the Bacon God.

Truly though, awbrig. Slab bacon is superb. Any sliced bacon is just so watery and decomposed by comparison.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Ive never had slab bacon..I get the smoked bacon from whole food which is awesome - and it may indeed be slab...Ive never seen slabs of bacon in my grocery stores or do yuou have to goto a butcher?  Excuse my lack of knowledge on this :smile:

Neither have I, I assume it is a butcher thing. Does anybody in the Seattle area know where to get a slab o' bacon? Klink's butcher on Queen Anne perhaps?

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Heh.

Just say "bacon" and see how many people post in how short a time.

Further proof of how much good the Bacon God bestows and how grateful his congregation is.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

What is it exactly about BACON that gets people all worked up - myself included...is it the amazing smoky smell, the sizzle, the delicious taste, the perfect texture, the harmonious blend of meat and fat? What exactly?

Could this possibly be awbrig's first "Hot Topic"? :cool:

pig.gif

Edited by awbrig (log)

Just say "bacon" and see how many people post in how short a time.  Further proof of how much good the Bacon God bestows and how grateful his congregation is.

No dietary restrictions here, eh? :biggrin: Glory be to the BG.

In the oven, turning the baking sheet back to front two or three times.  Only just started doing this and find it great.  Is a Cook's Illustrated Technique that I adopted.  Crispy bacon with very little attention.

Doesn't really seem worth it to heat up the oven for just a few slices, but I can tell you that in my family (starting with my granny, years and years ago) there is simply no better way to cook it for a crowd.

My grandmother would be busy cooking on top of the stove whatever else we were having for breakfast, while in the oven, big pans of bacon would be sizzling away.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes, a few slices? A few slices? How many pounds are we talking about?

Jaymes, a few slices? A few slices? How many pounds are we talking about?

Well, perhaps I put it badly, but what I was trying to say is that now, with kids grown and gone, I live alone, so when I cook bacon for myself, I usually only have four or five slices and it's not worth it to heat up the oven for that.

So, I just fry it up in a skillet, or on paper towels in the microwave.

BUT, when the family is all here, or I've guests over, I, like my granny and daddy before me, cook a pound or two of it in the oven.

No other way of preparing bacon for a crowd even comes close.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Bacon, tomato, avocado sandwich.

JB - I see you're here. Need help cooking your bacon?

microwaved bacon doesnt conjure up good images for me, personally...

you miss out on so much Tommy, why microwave when you can get superior results by simply pan frying it or slipping it into the oven for 15 minutes...?

With the exception of putting pieces of verrrry crisp bacon in my grits :rolleyes: ....I am a bacon purist...there are few things finer than a perfectly crisp piece of bacon!

I despise seeing filet or quail wrapped in bacon...good way to ruin a good piece of beef or game bird!

tommy, the point is that bacon makes everything better.

i disagree. for example, i don't want bacon anywhere near beef. what's with that old-school concept of wrapping filet mignon in bacon? i let my beef speak for itself.

aw, brig, i've fried bacon many times in my day. but as i say, i microwave for convenience. and quite honestly, i'm so out of "practice" frying it, it generally comes out burnt yet underdone. it's all terribly confusing.

edit: what southern girl said. :biggrin:

Edited by tommy (log)

Rumaki

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)